Home

Future Expansion (Seattle?)

This is a discussion on Future Expansion (Seattle?) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Future Expansion (Seattle?)

Don’t know how/when Seattle would get a team back (I really don’t understand why people obsess over the idea so much anyways) but I would be willing to bet some decent money that a team lands there again sooner rather than later and KD finishes his career there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #10

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Don’t know how/when Seattle would get a team back (I really don’t understand why people obsess over the idea so much anyways)
I think people obsess over it because Sonics did have a long history, and many obviously felt the city shouldn't have lost the team to begin with.

And with NHL already expanding and MLB at least discussing it in the past(seems like it very well will happen if A's/Rays don't move and get new stadiums), it's only a matter of time before NBA does, and Seattle is definitely #1 on that list. Not to mention NBA unlike the other leagues doesn't have any team you can point at as someone who could move anytime soon.

And if/when expansion happens, we probably see division changes too. Maybe even new playoff format.

I'd see it being like:
Atlantic: Celtics,76ers,Nets,Knicks
North: Raptors,Cavs,Pistons,Wizards
Central: Bucks,Bulls,Pacers,TBD(Expansion team like KC, or TWolves/Grizzlies move to east)
Southeast: Heat,Magic,Hawks,Hornets
Pacific: Warriors,Kings,Clippers,Lakers
Southwest: Pelicans,Rockets,Spurs,Mavs
Northwest: Sonics,Blazers,Jazz,Suns
Midwest: Nuggets,Thunder,TWolves,Grizzlies

With division winners getting playoff spot, and rest are up for grabs. Either from any division, or stick to same conference format.

Or do the 8 team/4 division format. So only 4 total division winners, and again, either remaining 12 spots can be had by any team regardless of conference, or just give it to next best 6 teams in each conference.

Division 1: Raptors,Bucks,Pistons,Bulls,Cavs,Celtics,Knicks,Ne ts
Division 2: Heat,Magic,Hawks,Hornets,Wizards,Pacers,76ers
Division 3: Sonics,Blazers,Kings,Warriors,Lakers,Clippers,Suns ,Jazz
Division 4: Nuggets,TWolves,Thunder,Mavs,Spurs,Rockets,Pelican s,Grizzlies

Last edited by Majingir; 10-08-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Majingir's Arena

Silver doing some interviews in Canada recently. Obviously he'd be asked about expansion. He said several Canadian cities have spoken to him about expansion (and several US cities too), but they're not looking to expand right now.

You have Seattle all but likely the 31st team whenever that happens. But then names like Vancouver,Vegas,KC among others who could be contenders for a 32nd team.

CBA doesn't expire until 23/24(opt out after 22/23), so I guess we shouldn't expect expansion until then if Silver says they're not even looking at it now. People might hate it because of league being more watered down (we only have a handful of teams actually contending for title each year as it is), but you know this will be bringing in a crazy amount of money. NHLs latest expansion to Seattle brought in 650M in EXPANSION FEES (over 20M per team). NBA surely could top 1B PER TEAM. So 2 teams, 2B, each team would get over 60M in expansion fees.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I would like to see it. Shawn Kemp was my absolute favourite player growing up - I had a Jordan bulls jersey, but I had 2 Kemp ones! My first number playing was 40 until I later changed to 13 in my last couple years of high school to 'be my own' guy.

The rest of those sonics players were awesome too as as a whole had a TON of personality. Gary Payton, undisputed amazing talent who was also a tough guy and trash talker with an edge. Shrempff who was a really solid player who could shoot 3 and drive the lane and get a dunk. You had Sam Perkins who was one of the few 'big men' that could shoot from 3 with any consistency. Johnson at centre who was super athletic, not quite like Kemp, but very mobile. Hawkins, Askew etc.,... just an amazingly exciting team to watch. Kemp was insane though, from swat-blocking into the 20th row, to slamming the pi$$ out of the ball with those super athletic, powerful, stop-what-your-doing dunks.

I also loved how their mascot was a sasquatch!

Thats why I'd like to see a return of the Sonics as an outsider, it's so much better than a bunch of teams in the league with bad logo's and no personality. Memphis Grizzlies, names like the pelicans, even the timberwolves to a certain extent. It was the same thing with Vancouver, I hated their colours/logo/name etc. I think a cool addition besides Seattle would be Montreal, but I digress.

Anyway it would be great to see a nice city like Seattle get both their NBA team back and an NHL team.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I would like to see it. Shawn Kemp was my absolute favourite player growing up - I had a Jordan bulls jersey, but I had 2 Kemp ones! My first number playing was 40 until I later changed to 13 in my last couple years of high school to 'be my own' guy.

The rest of those sonics players were awesome too as as a whole had a TON of personality. Gary Payton, undisputed amazing talent who was also a tough guy and trash talker with an edge. Shrempff who was a really solid player who could shoot 3 and drive the lane and get a dunk. You had Sam Perkins who was one of the few 'big men' that could shoot from 3 with any consistency. Johnson at centre who was super athletic, not quite like Kemp, but very mobile. Hawkins, Askew etc.,... just an amazingly exciting team to watch. Kemp was insane though, from swat-blocking into the 20th row, to slamming the pi$$ out of the ball with those super athletic, powerful, stop-what-your-doing dunks.

I also loved how their mascot was a sasquatch!

Thats why I'd like to see a return of the Sonics as an outsider, it's so much better than a bunch of teams in the league with bad logo's and no personality. Memphis Grizzlies, names like the pelicans, even the timberwolves to a certain extent. It was the same thing with Vancouver, I hated their colours/logo/name etc. I think a cool addition besides Seattle would be Montreal, but I digress.

Anyway it would be great to see a nice city like Seattle get both their NBA team back and an NHL team.
Wouldn't be a huge shock to me if Memphis was available before too much longer.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #14

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Wouldn't be a huge shock to me if Memphis was available before too much longer.
You think Memphis could be candidate to move?

I saw they are near(or at) bottom of league in team value. With Gasol era over and JV could even leave in FA too, they'll be starting all over again with very little. Would fans support that as much?

Is Nashville a basketball market? They took everyone by surprise showing they could have one of best hockey markets. Arenas already there, why not try basketball if Memphis doesn't work out?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
You think Memphis could be candidate to move?

I saw they are near(or at) bottom of league in team value. With Gasol era over and JV could even leave in FA too, they'll be starting all over again with very little. Would fans support that as much?

Is Nashville a basketball market? They took everyone by surprise showing they could have one of best hockey markets. Arenas already there, why not try basketball if Memphis doesn't work out?
The actual people of Memphis have never really fully embraced the team. They pretty much only care about the Tigers, and that's only gotten worse over the past couple of years with Memphis Grit-N-Grind thing kinda dying and Penny coming back to coach the Tigers.

I would hate to see them leave, and they have enough support from FedEx for it to possibly never happen, but they also have coaching turnover every single year, free agents aren't ever choosing to come to Memphis, and they stay at the bottom of the league in terms of profit.

Biggest red flag would be that the Tigers already play all of their home games in the Forum. They have tons of other events like WWE, big name concerts, March Madness, etc.. So they really don't even need an NBA team to justify having the FedEx Forum either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I think people obsess over it because Sonics did have a long history, and many obviously felt the city shouldn't have lost the team to begin with.
They were champions in 1979 too.

Technically speaking, the team never left and just relocated, changed it's name and colors. I wonder if people today would still be longing for the Supersonics had their name and colors remained intact (I pressume no, becuase it's more a Seattle thing). The Rockets, Jazz, Hawks, Clippers, etc. are a positive example of this...while the Hornets' stint at OKC/ New Orleans is not...even the "new" Charlotte Hornets feel rather odd to me, more like a clone and not the original son.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »