Home

12/11 - 12/17 Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 12/11 - 12/17 Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #89
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 12/11 - 12/17 Games Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Never realized it until someone pointed it out, but it's no wonder so many people can't stand Harden's game.

For his career he has made more FTs than FGs. He's made 5047 FTs vs. 4878 FGs.

That's insane. Has that ever been done before at that kind of volume?
Without the fouls he's really not even an efficient scorer. I would say there are at least 2 shots a game that he misses that don't get counted as a miss because he baited a foul. If we gave him two more misses a game he would be struggling to top 40% shooting, and would be just another high usage, high volume, inefficient scorer.

That's the main reason why when the playoffs start and a few of those don't go his way like the in regular season he drops a bit. In his 6 years with Houston he only hit 43% one time. The others 39, 37, 41,41,41..

I mean in all reality it's the refs to be mad at, not really him. And with him doing it for 6 years now it's not like they haven't saw some of his tendencies on tape. I would do the same if it got me points honestly. But it really does make him hard to appreciate the way a player of his caliber should be appreciated. And why, even though points are points, I wasn't all that comfortable with a player who's best skill is literally drawing fouls and tricking refs being the MVP.

Not all of them are BS, he really is great at drawing contact and forcing a whistle. But even games like last night, defenders were no more in his landing spots than they were anyone else who took a shot that night. But Harden continually fell on his back. And even though they took away the rip through move he still gets calls for lunging his body and shooting arm into a defenders arm who is not making a swat or play on the ball. Technically speaking a defender has the freedom to put his arms anywhere he wants, he shouldn't be required to yank his arms away because a shooting player is thrusting his shoulder into him.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #90
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I mean in all reality it's the refs to be mad at, not really him. And with him doing it for 6 years now it's not like they haven't saw some of his tendencies on tape. I would do the same if it got me points honestly. But it really does make him hard to appreciate the way a player of his caliber should be appreciated. And why, even though points are points, I wasn't all that comfortable with a player who's best skill is literally drawing fouls and tricking refs being the MVP.
Agreed. On one hand, he gets some respect for doing whatever it takes to win and if he can get away with it and the refs keep calling it then all the power to him. On the other hand, as a fan, it can be infuriating to watch him play. It feels like a cheap way to play the game. At least it's gotten a little better the last few years IMO, probably 3-4 years ago I could barely sit through a Houston game.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #91
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Harden averages 8.3 FTA per game for his career, Jordan was 8.2 FTA.

Jordan finished with 12,192 field goals and 7,327 made FT. Pretty crazy for Harden.

If anyone was going to do it it'd be Harden since he goes through stretches where he passes up open layups to go seek contact. I've never seen a player try to get to the FT the way Harden does and I hope I never see anyone else do it his way.
Jordan had his own ways of getting some questionable whistles as well. Especially when verticality wasn't quite called the same way it is now. Plenty of instances where Jordan would turn around completely backwards and toss the ball over his shoulder while HE is hitting the defender with his back. But at least in those instances he is forcing the defender to react to his contact and in most cases ends up a bang bang play. To me that's not much different than Bron forcing defenders contact with his shoulder.

But Harden is a whole different level. In most cases he isn't forcing the defender to make any sort of contact on him, rather he just thrusts his limbs into the defender who otherwise is often doing nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing would make me happier than to see them just start racking up offensive fouls in those instances. It's the complete opposite of typical basketball. Rather than a defender swiping at the ball the shooter is swiping the ball at the defender. It's almost comical at times.

Last edited by ojandpizza; 12-14-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #92
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

This guy lol

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #93
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

It hilarious seeing the Lakers tuck their hands on defense...the Spurs did the same thing against Houston in the playoffs after Harden lived at the line Game 1...
Old 12-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #94
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #95
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Harden averages 8.3 FTA per game for his career, Jordan was 8.2 FTA.

Jordan finished with 12,192 field goals and 7,327 made FT. Pretty crazy for Harden.

If anyone was going to do it it'd be Harden since he goes through stretches where he passes up open layups to go seek contact. I've never seen a player try to get to the FT the way Harden does and I hope I never see anyone else do it his way.
My mind melts just thinking about it. When I look at Jordan. He played the game hard. And he got actually fouled HARD. Harden it just blows my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
It hilarious seeing the Lakers tuck their hands on defense...the Spurs did the same thing against Houston in the playoffs after Harden lived at the line Game 1...
hahaha that's so terrible.... I blame Desmond Mason. He showed Durant and Durant passed that BS to Harden. Durant has stopped (it was the rip thur move). But Harden made a whole thing around it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #96
MVP

RedSceptile's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »