Home

2/26 - 3/4 Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2/26 - 3/4 Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #145
MVP

3304Life's Arena

OVR: 0

And OJ’s point there is exactly what I’m saying. Top level, the early 2000s had some of the most dominant teams we’ve seen. But below that the league was all over the place.

And we need to look at the word “fundamentals” because to me that’s a fluid term. Fundamentals shift with the evolution of the game. Solid post play and ball movement might get you some success today, but if you’re attempting 15 three a game, you’re not winning anything. The Warriors, Spurs and Pacers play probably the most fundamentally sound basketball evolved to adapt to what you need in the NBA today. The three point shot is a fundamental part of basketball, it’s been in the game for four decades and has only now been utilized to the extent it should be. The Rockets took it to far and forgot everything else and they died by it as much as they lived last season.

For me, right now, the way NBA basketball is being played is about as perfect as it will ever get. For all the talk of the NBA being a copycat league I think play is varied enough across the league. You have teams and players whose games are centered around slashing, some around the mid range, some around threes. We have point big men, elite rebounding guards, defenders who maintain an elite level even with all the rules favoring the offense. I said earlier that we have three or four superstars in the league but I think put this talent pool up against the early 2000s and there would be a lot more.

Last edited by 3304Life; 02-28-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #146
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
Morris has been much worse than just bad of late. Everyone knew he wasn't going to shoot this well for the entire season and when that goes out his game can look really ugly. Much better to deal with those ups and downs as a 6th man of the bench guy. Semi is only good if you need a different look like on Giannis for example or someone else because he is a good defender 1 on 1 otherwise he stinks. Like cmon. Like I know these last 3 games from Hayward have been dreadful which stinks because he was trending up before the break but not at that level.

Morris for all his recent struggles still gives you more then Hayward at this point. And again, please tell me what Hayward does better than Ojeleye right now?

Give me the more athletic player and better defender since Hayward brings nothing to the table. We have a 60+ game sample size as proof on this. If he isn’t scoring, what’s the point of him eating up vulnerable minutes?

He could retain some of his past form next year, maybe...

But right now the time of treating Hayward like some charity case and him seeing 20+ minutes a night has to end.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #147
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: 2/26 - 3/4 Games Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3304Life
Those Lakers and Spurs aren’t beating these Warriors.
They certainly would. Shaquille O'Neal would explode for 35 point outings while fouling out DeMarcus Cousins and Kevon Looney. There is just no answer for him. How would the Warriors come with their doubles? Shaq was a willing passer though and the Lakers field a lot of clutch shooters.

A young Kobe would torch Thompson's (admittedly plus) defense and has the legs to chase him through a maze of screens. Thompson's handle is sub-par and if he tried to take Kobe man to man he would be mostly stifled.

Stephen Curry runs rings around Fisher but his anticipation would enable him to draw a charge and play good position. Fisher's clutch spot shooting was legendary.
In the clutch, Kobe has the lateral movement to match up with Curry and give him big problems.

Durant is an all time great point maker but Fox was a legitimate stopper. It is unlikely KD would dominate this matchup.

Horace Grant might not play much because his post up defense would be mostly useless. He was still a good rebounder. Edge to Draymond Green here.

The triangle would slow the pace and allow the Lakers to control the action. The Lakers are much slower than Golden State but because of Shaq's dominating presence it likely wouldn't matter.

Lakers win in six games.

The Spurs would present Tim Duncan as an unanswerable problem. His low post maneuverings were varied and explosive circa 2003. His mid-range jumpers were good enough to lure defenders closely. Had the poise to scan the floor when being doubled and deliver. He was the best defensive rotator in all of creation and a dominating rebounder. Does Golden State double on his first dribble or try to seal him baseline? TD would thoroughly dominate the action.

In the plus column for Golden State, Stephen Curry would abuse a young Tony Parker.

Klay Thompson would outscore Stephen Jackson and would easily discombobulate SJ's inferior handle.

The problem for Golden State would be Bruce Bowen. He was a powerful sticky defender who Kevin Durant wouldn't be able to go wild against. KD notoriously struggles (relatively speaking of course) against strong yet quick-footed defenders. And when the Warriors are scrambling their inside out rotations after responding to Duncan there would be Bowen to hit three point balls.

When paired with Duncan, Malik Rose at power forward was a highly underrated player. He would bang with Draymond Green, stick mid-range jumpers, and pound both boards. Draymond Green doesn't have as big of an edge as you think here.

Off the bench, Manu Ginobli was young and very mistake prone but capable of injecting juice into a ballgame.

The Spurs discipline would allow them to control the pace of play. They play better more consistent defense than Golden State is capable of. Duncan and Rose would play volleyball on the boards.

Spurs win a seven game series in six.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 02-28-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #148

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

lol, never realized this but Suns have already been officially eliminated from playoffs. I wonder if it's ever happened before in February?

And I think Bucks can clinch a playoff spot tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #149
Pro

Themayorofawsometown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
-No one playing at this very moment approaches the all around dominance of Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, and Jason Kidd.
LeBron still exists lol

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk
Miami Heat
Old 02-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #150
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
They certainly would. Shaquille O'Neal would explode for 35 point outings while fouling out DeMarcus Cousins and Kevon Looney. There is just no answer for him. How would the Warriors come with their doubles? Shaq was a willing passer though and the Lakers field a lot of clutch shooters.

A young Kobe would torch Thompson's (admittedly plus) defense and has the legs to chase him through a maze of screens. Thompson's handle is sub-par and if he tried to take Kobe man to man he would be mostly stifled.

Stephen Curry runs rings around Fisher but his anticipation would enable him to draw a charge and play good position. Fisher's clutch spot shooting was legendary.
In the clutch, Kobe has the lateral movement to match up with Curry and give him big problems.

Durant is an all time great point maker but Fox was a legitimate stopper. It is unlikely KD would dominate this matchup.

Horace Grant might not play much because his post up defense would be mostly useless. He was still a good rebounder. Edge to Draymond Green here.

The triangle would slow the pace and allow the Lakers to control the action. The Lakers are much slower than Golden State but because of Shaq's dominating presence it likely wouldn't matter.

Lakers win in six games.
[/b]
Those Lakers teams struggled with any team that could pull their defense away from the rim, pull Shaq out of the paint, and shoot from the outside, and push the tempo, and get passing from their bigs.. GS does all of that at an all time level.

Peja and Hedo killed Rick Fox.. I think KD will be just fine.

Rip Hamilton and Allen Iverson gave them fits off ball, having Curry and Klay moving like that at the same time with another 30 point scorer on the floor presents big problems for that Lakers group.

Kobe couldn't even contain Antonio Daniels, Mike Bibby, or Chauncey Billups..

Kobe at 21, 22, wasn't torching anyone at a consistent level just yet. He had his moments, and against good defenders.. But when players had length and enough speed to prevent blow-bys he struggled. Reggie Miller and Tayshaun Prince both shut him down.

Lakers lone shot is could Shaq be so dominant that it negated the 3's and counter the fact that he can't defend Boogie when he goes high, can't matchup if they go small, and he and Grant would be sitting dunks on high ball screens... Is he so dominant against them that it completely nukes their ability to ever push the tempo.. Because otherwise literally every other advantage is in GS's favor.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #151
MVP

OVR: 25

The problem is that the Warriors are regularly referred to as being among the top ball clubs in history. The Lakers and Spurs really were not viewed as being among the top ball clubs in history when they won their titles in the early 00s. I just presented compelling reasons why those teams match up well with Golden State and would be tough to overcome.

Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Paul Pierce, Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady, Mike Bibby, Michael Finley, Ben Wallace, Gary Payton, John Stockton, Andre Miller, Stephon Marbury, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace represent a fine bumper crop of stars. Today's group isn't any better than that.

Any team led by Jason Kidd's powerhouse all-around game plan is going to be a serious contender. Philadelphia's hard-working defense and clutch time miracles by Iverson would likely advance deep into the Eastern Conference playoffs even today.

For all of his flaws, Jalen Rose did exhibit explosive shooting during his playoff run and his side kick was an all time great bomber in Reggie Miller. Also Rik Smits was still viable when catching incoming entry passes with a foot in the paint.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #152
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

In a hypothetical 00's Lakers/Warriors matchup, to me it depends which era of rules they're playing with.

If they're playing the 00's rules with illegal defense and no zone allowed, I think LA would cook them because Warriors have no answer for Shaq or Kobe. Today's rules though? Well ****, it's favored towards offensive players anyways, Kobe would score much easier in today's game. Give me the Lakers in 7 but it'd be hella fun to watch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »