Home

March 2019: LeBron James is no longer the best player in the world. So who is?

This is a discussion on March 2019: LeBron James is no longer the best player in the world. So who is? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #137
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: March 2019: LeBron James is no longer the best player in the world. So who is?

I'm not sure it makes any sense for any player to move into the post more in today's game. LeBron will have to go Magic Johnson/Mark Jackson and back people down from 25' out to get to his spot. He's still stronger than nearly everyone in the league so once he loses a good deal of his other athletic traits he should be able to get to his spot fairly often. His strength plus his size and smarts will be enough to be a contributor when he's older.

I imagine he'll handle some light playmaking duties and play off-ball a decent amount.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #138
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: March 2019: LeBron James is no longer the best player in the world. So who is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Just further looking into LeBron's legacy...

He has only had two losing seasons in his entire career.

One was his rookie season. And the other was last year where he had his first major injury.

That's insane to me. Is there anybody else that can claim anything close to that?
Magic Johnson and Probably Larry Bird.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 01:27 AM   #139
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Ok ok ok. I get it you guys. LeBron ain't special. Dang

Jk. But seriously. I really thought that was a rare feat. I think I was just thinking of Kobe, Jordan and of course TMac and didn't give it much of a thought since those are the GOATs and they've had their shares of losing seasons.

What also makes LeBron stand out to me that got me thinking about that initially, is that he walked into three completely different situations and was successful in each one. Especially factoring in the finals trips. This, compared to guys who stayed with one team/environment for their career.

But I'm glad I brought that up, because it has really opened my eyes to the all time greats and what they've accomplished. Really a testament to their greatness and it's just another thing that puts them in a tier above the rest.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 10-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #140
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Was 08-09 his athletic peak? Watching this **** is just unreal how quick he was

https://youtu.be/vd4nr9TURt4
Old 10-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #141
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Everytime I hear something about LeBron I go to see if Kareem did it already...he only had two losing seasons out of 20 if I'm looking at this right.
Kareem always seems weirdly overlooked in GOAT discussions imo (to the extent that we even have them and don't already crown Jordan).

I'm guessing this is partly age-related - Jordan and LeBron are more familiar to modern fans than a guy whose prime was in the early 70s - and partly Jordan being better at his absolute peak than Kareem was in his peak years.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #142
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

Just wanted to point out that Giannis himself has just recently stated LeBron is still the best in the world (and that LeBron is his idol)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #143
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Just wanted to point out that Giannis himself has just recently stated LeBron is still the best in the world (and that LeBron is his idol)
Respect is a thing amongst these dudes, so it isn't surprising that Giannis acknowledges LBJ as the best.

(Didn't LBJ do the same with Kobe in '09 or '10 when he was clearly, IMO, the best player in the league?)

I don't agree. Giannis is the most dominant "big man" in the league & the best two - player in the world.

And unlike Davis & James, he doesn't have another top 5 player to play off of and take a lot pressure off of him.

We saw how disappointing the results were the year prior when Davis & James were on the Pelicans & Lakers, respectively.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 12-02-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #144
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

So...it's Giannis now, right? Like there's no question anymore? LeBron has declined too much athletically, couldn't do the carry job to even make the play-in tournament (injuries and injuries, I know).

KD got swept in the first round.

Kawhi didn't even play this year.

I think it's Giannis alone at the top now.

Last edited by cima; 04-26-2022 at 06:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »