Home

2019 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2019 Offseason Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #377
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: 2019 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
The supermax is one of the most illogical and short sighted moves they've ever come up with. Not saying I blame players for taking them (they absolutely should) just what it does to your cap situation is laughable. Don't give your guy the supermax and he walks, give him the supermax and you hamstring your team, it's actually hilarious and the owners have no one to cry to but themselves.
Truth! The whole thing smells.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #378
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir

What the Hawks and Raptors proved this decade is that you can still make playoffs and have some success with a good team, but unless your team revolves around an MVP, you're not winning. In the NBA more than any other league, being in the middle is bad. In other sports, lower seeds still have shot to win. NBA that won't happen.
I’m not seeing the Raptors-Hawks connection.

Am I missing something?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #379

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I’m not seeing the Raptors-Hawks connection.

Am I missing something?
I meant in terms of the type of team you need to win. All stars are one thing, but you need superstars.

With only all stars, you'll have a ceiling.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #380
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

And speaking of Supermax

Quote:
When it came into existence in the latest CBA, it was nicknamed the “Kevin Durant rule.”

Officially called the “designated veteran extension, the idea was to give teams leverage to keep their best home-grown players. To qualify, a player had to be in his 8th-10th NBA season (the end of the first extension of his rookie contract), still with the team that drafted him (or he was traded during his rookie contract), plus the player needs to have made been named MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, or have made the All-NBA team in the most recent season or two previous ones. If a player meets the criteria, they could get a “supermax” extension that gave them 35 percent of the salary cap to stay, plus a fifth year, rather than the 30 percent of the cap and four years that other teams can offer.

Except guys are not sticking around for that extra cash.

Anthony Davis is the latest in a line of guys who forced their way out (Paul George) or were traded (DeMarcus Cousins) rather than use that extension.

Players’ union Executive Director Michelle Roberts told Tim Bontemps of ESPN the supermax is working as intended, the problem is people thought it would be a panacea that would keep players in the same city for most of their careers.

“I mean, the players that are eligible, frankly, are players that are going to get paid, and they’re going to have any number of alternatives,” Michele Roberts, executive director of the National Basketball Players Association, told ESPN. “It hasn’t hurt them. It was something that they were able to secure and they were interested in getting it, and it was going to be a tremendous advantage in terms of just the amount of money.

“But I still don’t see a downside. The only downside is to the extent that people absolutely believed that it was a slam dunk way to keep their guys. And it just isn’t. And if they doubted it, they can now take a look at Anthony [Davis] and see, ‘Oh, wow, there is no way.'”

The league would say that the goal of this “supermax” was to either keep players with teams or at least let them know earlier in the process if a player wanted out, so they could trade him and get something back. In that sense, it is working with Davis.

Roberts is right, this has not been a panacea to players wanting to switch markets. Part of it she gets at a key issue: The money is so large for these players (Giannis Antetokounmpo’s extension could be $247 million) that the difference in taking it and not taking it is not enough to make up for being on a bad franchise or in a city they don’t like. These elite players have options and are using them.

Only four players have signed those deals — Stephen Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and John Wall — and at least one of them (Washington) and maybe two (Oklahoma City) have regrets already. Kemba Walker is now eligible for one after making the All-NBA team, but the Hornets organization knows if (or, more likely, when) they offer it to him it will be an anchor on their ability to put a good team around him on the court. Walker is going to eat up a lot of their cap space, and this is not a franchise paying the tax.

Expect the process to be tweaked in the next round of negotiations. The league is always looking for a way to give small and medium market teams a leg up in keeping stars.

Of course, put the right team around those stars (ala Milwaukee) and it’s not much of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 AM   #381
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I...assume you mean the first time? Because if KD doesn't join the Warriors, the Cavs repeat and maybe go for 3 in a row.

That...isn't a good idea,IMO. But then again, I think only a handful of players deserve the SuperMax. And I don't think that Kemba is one of those guys.
Yeah Kemba is a good player for sure but he is not like a top 10 type of guy though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #382
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

So, Boston...

If they lose Kyrie, which way do you go? You have a massive contract for little production with Heyward. You have a FA with Rozier. You possibly lose Kyrie? Do you trade off the contract for expiring contracts? Do you just roll with the roster you have and hope that it does something?

IDK, Boston is at a huge cross roads. If they lose Kyrie, I think they should look towards a quick reloading for 2020.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #383
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
So, Boston...

If they lose Kyrie, which way do you go? You have a massive contract for little production with Heyward. You have a FA with Rozier. You possibly lose Kyrie? Do you trade off the contract for expiring contracts? Do you just roll with the roster you have and hope that it does something?

IDK, Boston is at a huge cross roads. If they lose Kyrie, I think they should look towards a quick reloading for 2020.
It's crazy how quickly their window closed.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #384
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
So, Boston...

They were in a great spot after last year when Rozier, Tatum, Brown all had huge trade value and the King’s pick was projecting to be top 5ish..

I said it before, but I think Boston might have missed their window on a game changing move. Understandable considering they likely expected to be in the finals and were holding out for AD.. but still, everything that could go bad went bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »