Home

NBA Tournament?

This is a discussion on NBA Tournament? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Tournament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
That logic is so bad. So a legitimate bad team, that can't win the tournament, won't get the help it needs because it is, wait for it, too bad of a team to win said tournament.

This idea is certainly worse than the lottery.
Agree. It's not a terrible idea, but I personally like the more flattened lottery odds. You cant just be incompetent and God awful like the Suns and continuously be rewarded with top picks. I'm glad a team like the Pelicans who had legit playoff aspirations before the AD drama ended up winning it. Sure, they did sort of soft tank with sitting AD but the situation was a mess. But they weren't tanking back in December. There is no perfect system and teams will always game it, but I think the lottery is at least more tank prohibitive now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #18
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm not going to complain if it happens, because change is inevitable, but I will always despite this tourney(in the same way that I hate non sudden death overtime in the NFL) if they do it.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I've been saying this for years. Run a tournament at the end of the season with the teams that are going to be missing the playoffs. Team that wins the tournament gets the number 1 pick in the draft, runner up picks second and then just go by records after that. You eliminate tanking and have compelling basketball on display for cities that otherwise would have been checked out of the product because their teams are out of it.
I said something similar as well, but this way would mean teams that are pretty good that might've just missed the playoffs and thus better than the bottom dwellers would likely win out most of the time.

Definitely not against an NBA style tournament. I guess its the what for that im looking at.

Players wont care if the team gets the #1 pick or not so theyre not going to play hard for that.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:46 AM   #20
Rookie

Cyrus09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I'm absolutely a fan of having a mid season tournament. With all the breaks that they have inbetween games, you can certainly run another competition, Euro Soccer style.
I always here the comparison with soccer cups about these tournaments. But what you guys shouldn't forget that these cups are that fun because there are teams from the lower competitions, which is a whole other dynamic with fascinating upsets every year. But a cup just with the teams you're playing anyway in the league? Why would it be different from the other games of the year?
And if you win you get to play in european competition the following year, so it has a another reward and not just another trophy.

Because in european Basketball we have cups like that you would get. And no one cares.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #21

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Latest report on this is that it could happen as a trial in the 21-22 season.

NBA might also reduce number of games for regular season.

The most even way I can see it is:
2 games vs each team in other conference(30)
3 games vs each team in the other 2 divisions in your league(30)
4 games vs the 4 teams in your division(16)

That would make regular season 76 games.

If NBA ever has 32 teams(its inevitable imo), do 32 vs other conference, 36 vs 3 other divisions in your conference, and 12 vs your division. 80 game season.

If NBA starts season same time as NHL, that gives you almost 2 weeks of extra scheduling time as well. So 6 less games and 14 more days of season. If they want some midseason tourney they can do it. If not, you still cut out the amount of back to backs. Probably could keep 82 game season with earlier start date.

Last edited by Majingir; 06-26-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I'm absolutely a fan of having a mid season tournament. With all the breaks that they have inbetween games, you can certainly run another competition, Euro Soccer style.
In soccer it makes sense because you're playing against the best teams from other leagues, in which you wouldn't normally face.

In the NBA, you'd be going up against the same teams you're always playing, so I don't see the point at all.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #23
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

What on earth will be the motivation for teams in a mid-season tournament? It's never going to carry a sliver of the prestige that a championship will. Hell, if anything it'll be another opportunity for excessive load management around the league. Determining who gets the #1 pick in the middle of the season makes no sense outside of grasping for entertainment straws. It makes no sense for a variety of reasons. Same goes for using it for playoff seeding.

Silver's reign has had a lot of good ideas and changes but this is one of the worst ones.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
What on earth will be the motivation for teams in a mid-season tournament? It's never going to carry a sliver of the prestige that a championship will. Hell, if anything it'll be another opportunity for excessive load management around the league. Determining who gets the #1 pick in the middle of the season makes no sense outside of grasping for entertainment straws. It makes no sense for a variety of reasons. Same goes for using it for playoff seeding.

Silver's reign has had a lot of good ideas and changes but this is one of the worst ones.
I want to give this 100 likes.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »