Home

Load mangement needs to go!

This is a discussion on Load mangement needs to go! within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Load mangement needs to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
Copied my comments from the game discussion thread:

Nobody gets upset in MLB when teams rest their everyday players throughout the season.
Apples and oranges. Stars are way more impactful in the NBA than in MLB. Baseball has twice as many games and far fewer days off than the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I dont buy that regular season dont matter because home court and seeding do matter. The lower the seeding the harder it is going to be to win a championship.
Tell that to the coaches and teams who are sacrificing regular season wins in the name of postseason health.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

The problem is that these guys have been playing serious basketball and training for damn near their entire lives. You see it in football too where their bodies just can't handle the wear & tear do to over-training. The money, especially in the NBA has exploded and kids now begin specialized training much younger. I'm 40 and played in a pretty good HS league (WCAC in the DMV) and I never had a trainer until HS. Now I go the gym and I see some middle school and even older elementary school kids training hard.

It's cool to see BUT damn, kids don't even get to be kids anymore.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

I couldn't care less about "load management".

I believe JazzFan said it best. If I purchase tickets for a Broadway play and the lead actor/actress got sick and can't perform..hey I'm S.O.L.

Sucks, yeah. But it is what it is man. That's the gamble you pay when you purchase tickets to live events.

The basketball season is too damn long and regular season games are so meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I honestly don't understand why people are so worked up about this. It's really a non-issue to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Apples and oranges. Stars are way more impactful in the NBA than in MLB. Baseball has twice as many games and far fewer days off than the NBA.

Tell that to the coaches and teams who are sacrificing regular season wins in the name of postseason health.
If i was a coach guys would play ever game un less injured. I understand that the more and tear the human body takes the more likely of a injury but again this didnt use to be a thing. Its hard to play all games in any of the 4 major sports. I am not expecting guys to play all 82 games. Its hard to go a full year with out a injury takes a lot of luck to not have some kind of injury even if its a small one where you only miss like 2 games. Curry broke his hand because a guy fell on him. Did that injury happen because he had played a lot and was tired? No just bad luck with the way he and the defender came down. A lot of injures happen that have zero to do with wear and tear. In the NHL guys are not doing load mangement and nhl is a way more physicall game to then nba.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

I believe JazzFan said it best. If I purchase tickets for a Broadway play and the lead actor/actress got sick and can't perform..hey I'm S.O.L.

Sucks, yeah. But it is what it is man. That's the gamble you pay when you purchase tickets to live events.

The basketball season is too damn long and regular season games are so meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I honestly don't understand why people are so worked up about this. It's really a non-issue to me.
That's not a good analogy because getting sick is out of someone's control, load management is not.

Jalen Rose said it best, load management is kind of the fault of fans and media because we've all pushed the "ringz" argument so much that the journey is no longer valued, it's "did you win titles or not?". He's right, I don't think I watched any non-national TV games from probably 08-15. Of course this coincided with my 20s and I had different priorities then.

Now I'm older and I appreciate the journey much more and enjoy watching regular season basketball again. That combined with seeing Gen Z (kids/teens on reddit) talking out their *** devaluing guys like Barkley, Malone, Stockton, etc. because they don't have rings just really opened my eyes to how wrong the whole "ringz" argument is. I see LeBron's career slowly creeping to an end and I want to enjoy watching him while I can because I didn't watch enough of Kobe and I regret that. So from that perspective, I think regular season basketball is important and I enjoy watching it.

Unfortunately with our attention spans getting shorter and shorter, it's unlikely the young fans and/or casual fans are ever going to feel that way.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

When you bring up someone getting sick for a broadway play that is completly differn its not something that you can control. With nba if a player gets injured then yeah it sucks but injurys happen in ever sport its also something you cant stop but sitting out when healthy really? Man i sure wish i could just call in to work 25% of the time and say i dont fill like comming into work. It would be like me calling in once a week. When did the season become to long? I didnt hear this talk in the 90s or early 2000s. Guys want to play less when they are already getting more time of. I have heard people say get rid of back to backs but they already lowerd amount of back to backs, made season 2 weeks longer, and all star break longer to space out games more. How much more do people want/expect games to be spaced out?

Last edited by Smallville102001; 11-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #15
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
That's not a good analogy because getting sick is out of someone's control, load management is not.

Jalen Rose said it best, load management is kind of the fault of fans and media because we've all pushed the "ringz" argument so much that the journey is no longer valued, it's "did you win titles or not?". He's right, I don't think I watched any non-national TV games from probably 08-15. Of course this coincided with my 20s and I had different priorities then.

Now I'm older and I appreciate the journey much more and enjoy watching regular season basketball again. That combined with seeing Gen Z (kids/teens on reddit) talking out their *** devaluing guys like Barkley, Malone, Stockton, etc. because they don't have rings just really opened my eyes to how wrong the whole "ringz" argument is. I see LeBron's career slowly creeping to an end and I want to enjoy watching him while I can because I didn't watch enough of Kobe and I regret that. So from that perspective, I think regular season basketball is important and I enjoy watching it.

Unfortunately with our attention spans getting shorter and shorter, it's unlikely the young fans and/or casual fans are ever going to feel that way.
Oh you make some good points. Championship are overrated when it comes to people talking about how good players are. Heck a lot of people hate on james for his 3-6 finals recorder even though 5 of those 6 times the other team was just the much better team. Even Jordan would have lost 5 of the 6 that James lost if you replaced James with a prime Jordan. Also regular season can make it easier or harder to win a championship depending on where you finish in the standings. There have not been a lot of teams at like 5-8 seed that have made the finals but now people want use to think regular season and seeding dont matter? This is not football where playoffs are just 1 and done meanning like just get there has you have a better shot at a upset in a 1 and done then you do in a best of 7. Oh man i think you hit the nail on the head people jusr get bored faster. May be the reason the last few years all of a sudden there has been talk about nba games and mlb games being to long when no one uses to ever complain about the time it takes to complet a game.

Last edited by Smallville102001; 11-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
I don't think it has anything to do with the fans and media. Jalen wishes we were that impactful. Maybe it plays a small, small role but no, this is another trend along the lines of analytics and making smart decisions for the team which will give them the best chance to win a title.

Organizations have always wanted to win; fans and media talking about how many rings a player is largely inconsequential. That's implying that teams make decisions based on what the fans and media think/say and there is zero chance that's the case. Teams don't give a rip about what the media says.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »