Home

The NBA 3-Point Line

This is a discussion on The NBA 3-Point Line within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The NBA 3-Point Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
How you gonna write all that and not even post his tweet

Then talk about the 3 point line and that's not even what he said

Where is the cap?
Because my post wasn't directly about what he specifically said.

If you read "all that" I wrote and wasnt so focused on calling people out all the time, you would have realized that sir

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 11-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Just as an aside...I really wish people would stop using the Rockets play as an overall example of today's game....they are the absolute extreme.

That wasn't really Czar's point, even though he's made it known not a huge fan of Harden's playstyle, lol

Some people just arent a fan of how the game is played now. As someone who just randomly watches current and classic games for fun, there is something in just about every era I'm not a fan of aesthetically...but I think the game has had healthy growth over the years...and I still enjoy the product.

To answer the threads question though, I dont think removing the 3 point line would really change much....or anyone's mind on the game.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
All Star

OVR: 0

I love watching sports and NBA is my favorite sport to watch. There are some things i don't like of course. There is way more talent in the nba now then ever before and its not even close. But i think the rules do favor the offensive side of the ball to much but really that is a problem in not just NBA such has how NFL has went over board with rules to protect the players, but has also made it harder to play on the defensive side of the ball. I wish NBA would just simple bring back hand checking and i hate the clear path foul. With how nba calls Flagrant fouls now days you basically cant foul a guy hard enough to take away a layup has any kind of foul that is hard enough to take away a layup could be called a Flagrant now. When it comes to how NBA has changed teams are shooting way more 3 pointers when they used to and pace of play is higher then it was say like 15-20 years ago but its still slowing pace then it was if you go way back. For example if you go back to 1970-71 season the average league scoring was 112.4 even though there was no 3 point line back then because teams played much faster. If you looked teams where averaging 98 shoot attempts per game and 32.7 foul shoots a game. Now compare that to last year average shoot attempts where just 89.2 or 8.8 less and foul shoots where 23.1 or 9.6 shoots less a game. That is a lot less on both a big reason for that is how much pick and roll is called now days compared to back then.

Now when it comes to the 3 point shoot i think it has gone over board. 1. To many guys are trying to shoot long like 30 foot 3 pointers and only a few guys are making those type of shoots at a ok or good %. 2. i think over all teams are just shooting to many of them with Rockets being the worse. I don't think any team can win a championship playing there style. I would say teams that are like middle of the league in 3 point attempts are shooting like around what the leading teams should be shooting. 3. I known people talk about how if you shoot 34% on 3 pointers that its like shooting 51% on 3 pointers. But its not that simple because there are good 3 pointers and bad ones. Like i would much rather a player shoot a open 15 foot jump shoot then jacking up a 27 foot 3 pointer with a guy right in his face. The analytics don't take in to account these type of things. There is such thing has taking what the defense gives you. There is a big difference between shooting a 27 foot 3 pointer with a guy right in your face compared to shooting a wide open 3 pointer that came from a pass and kick out on a player driving towards the basket. 4. I saw a video talking about this and thought it was a good point that today's nba is so much about taking away the 3 point line and paint points that the way defense is played today is a lot different then it used to be. Talked about how Spurs last year where one of the lower 3 point shooting attempt teams in the league yet one of the better offensive teams in the league. Now point of this is if you are playing a team that can score at the 3 point line,mid rang and layups instead of just 3 point line and layups its harder to defend them has there offense is less predictable and it can open up more of each in a way. 4. I think when teams are having a hard time making 3 pointer they to often will settle for 3 pointers instead of trying to drive into the paint. Its one thing to shoot like 20 3 pointers in one half if you are making them but if you are like 1-10 or 0-12 or something i think you should try to shoot a few less.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Because my post wasn't directly about what he specifically said.

If you read "all that" I wrote and wasnt so focused on calling people out all the time, you would have realized that sir
I read "all that" and my point stands

I wasn't calling you out, I just asked why you referenced his post without at least posting it for context.

As we all know the internet perception is not whats going on in YOUR MIND.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #13

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
The problem is if the triple line was removed teams would just clog the paint to protect the rim. The game would basically be reduced to an outside shooting contest.
If they remove the 3 point line and force more shots closer to the rim, it means more high contact shot attempts, meaning we'll see more fouls which is even worse.

I'd rather see these 100+ point games than some grind it out 86-79 game.

If theres a change to be made, it's with the officiating. Not the rules or scoring itself.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #14
MVP

tru11's Arena

OVR: 0

i miss the post game.

i miss guys like t-mac and AI scoring at will.

i miss how physical the game used to be.

Its pretty boring now tbh.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Removing the 3-point line would be an extreme measure that would have consequences that I believe most would find unsuitable.

If the league ever grew weary of today's super wide-open nature and a game predicated on nonstop driving and kicking through porous lanes, one of the first steps they could take would be to re-institute at least some basic degrees of defensive freedom.

I wouldn't want to go back to the 70's when an offensive player could be called for a foul simply for gently leaning the wrong way but I do think it'd be nice to rid of rule interpretations that now allow offensive players to initiate nearly as much contact as they want and still reap the benefit. My theory goes that if defenders were able to apply at least some semblance of resistance, perhaps the 3-point emphasis could be lightened just enough to make it slight more tolerable.

While we're at it, re-instituting some sanity to what constitutes a travel would reel things in a little too. We're at a time now where we've got dudes picking up their dribble and hop-scotching wherever they see fit knowing they can't be touched at any point in the process.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Removing the 3PT is a silly idea.

What I miss is about the old days--beyond the rivalries and more physical style of play where it still felt more sport and than entertainment--is the diversity of play around the league. Each team took on the identity of its star player. I liked seeing all of the different styles and signature moves on the game's best players. Now nearly every team in the league just jacks up threes and runs a ton of PnR (excluded the stupid teams, such as the Knicks). I guess you can argue that yesteryear was all post-ups and isolation but that's not really the case.

Now, paraphrasing Popovich from a few years back, it's just "run a pick and roll, get into the paint, and make the right decision from there".

At minimum they need to widen the court so the 3PT is the same length. I'd be fine with them moving it back as well.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »