Home

NBA indefinitely suspends season after Rudy Gobert's positive COVID-19 test

This is a discussion on NBA indefinitely suspends season after Rudy Gobert's positive COVID-19 test within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #201
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA indefinitely suspends season after Rudy Gobert's positive COVID-19 test

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
It's all for the best. But people aren't listening in some place. I'm Brooklyn and live next to a Park. I hear kids playing during the day. Last night the police finally kicked them out.

My old *** hasn't been outside for nothing but food.

Sorry to hear about the pay cut. But I guess it's better than losing it. I've felt really bad my company been shredding so much the last few weeks. I'm afraid they'll eventually cut into my team. But good luck man. Good luck to everyone through this. It's more than sports at this point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just look at all the assclowns that decided to go take pictures of the hospital ship in Manhattan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #202
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Sorry to hear about the pay cut. But I guess it's better than losing it. I've felt really bad my company been shredding so much the last few weeks. I'm afraid they'll eventually cut into my team. But good luck man. Good luck to everyone through this. It's more than sports at this point.

Some folks at my company were let go. At least I'm still working and the bills are getting paid, so I'm thankful for that. All the trainers I know at the NYSC I go to are out of work. I don't know what they're going to do.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #203
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
Some folks at my company were let go. At least I'm still working and the bills are getting paid, so I'm thankful for that. All the trainers I know at the NYSC I go to are out of work. I don't know what they're going to do.
Throughout this situation. I keep learning about jobs I never thought of effected by this. I work in IT. So as of right now. I could imagine most companies are leaning hard on their IT dept with all remote work happening. And on that, I'm really lucky.

Also if anyone wants to share their story of this situation. Please don't be afraid
Old 04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #204
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Damn, all this time I was wondering why this place was so quiet(understandably so with everything going on)and y’all are in here posting, lol.

Missed all the fun in the beginning but either way, hope y’all continue being safe out here. And don’t forget these important words during times like this:

Wash your hands and wash your ***.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #205
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Damn, all this time I was wondering why this place was so quiet(understandably so with everything going on)and y’all are in here posting, lol.

Missed all the fun in the beginning but either way, hope y’all continue being safe out here. And don’t forget these important words during times like this:

Wash your hands and wash your ***.
Being at home so much has given me a chance to start a 2k18 PS3 Knicks Association with updated rosters. As always (shoot, the past 20 years), virtual Knicks are better than the real thing. I'm loaded with 3-point shooters, and Randle is serious in the paint. Inside-out, baby!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2020, 01:26 AM   #206
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
NBA, players union assessing potential COVID-19 rapid-test options.

In recent weeks, officials within the NBA and NBPA have been collaborating in assessing the viability of multiple blood-testing devices for the coronavirus that could provide accurate results within a matter of minutes, a process that would hopefully enable the league to track the virus in what is considered a critical first step toward resuming play in the near future.

Multiple league sources close to the situation said the league and players union have been looking at what those familiar with the matter describe as "diabetes-like" blood testing in which someone could, with the prick of a finger, be tested quickly, and results could be gained inside of 15 minutes.

The Illinois-based Abbott Laboratories began shipping its rapid-response tests across the U.S. last week, according to a Washington Post report. The tests, which have been approved by the FDA, are said to deliver results in five-to-13 minutes.

The league sources stressed that this matter is in the exploratory phase and that there is no clear timetable as to when the efficacy of any such device might be proven. They also stressed that advances in science and medicine are proceeding at a rapid pace, with collaboration across borders, which offers hope that breakthrough solutions could be possible much sooner than later.

Based on more than a dozen interviews with general managers and athletic training officials around the league in recent days, there is a collective sense that, in general, discovering effective methods for rapid-result testing is the critical hurdle that must be cleared for games of any type to take place in the coming weeks and months.
"Rapid-testing results are key to return to work, return to sports, everything," one NBA general manager told ESPN, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Whatever job you have and environment you work in, if you're interacting with people, we're all going to have to feel safe doing that. Sports isn't any different."

"While our foremost priority remains everyone's health and well-being, the league office continues to evaluate all options for a return to play," NBA spokesman Mike Bass told ESPN. "Any decision on a date to restart the season is likely weeks away and will be made in consultation with public health experts and in line with governmental directives and guidance."

The wider availability of the devices the NBA and NBPA have been assessing was unclear. But many team officials around the league said that if an effective rapid-testing approach is cleared and made available, the timing of when such a method could be utilized in the NBA is still unclear and must be handled delicately and appropriately, given the steep shortages of testing available nationwide.

"We are going to be clearly second in line to health care workers, transportation workers, public workers, things along those lines," a longtime NBA head athletic trainer said.

"Even if the technology is there, is it accessible?" said another athletic training official with firsthand knowledge of the process. "Because obviously we have higher-priority people that may need that, like our emergency workers and health care professionals that definitely take a priority over our players."

Many team officials pointed to President Trump's social-distancing guidelines through April 30 and said there wouldn't be any NBA games until after the government and various medical agencies and public health officials give the green light.

"There is no way we're going to [come] back before it's socially acceptable," one NBA GM said.

In the best-case scenario, multiple team officials have said such testing could lead to players and team staffers being tested before entering an arena for a game.

But even if an effective rapid test is discovered, there are numerous questions and potential pitfalls, many officials said.

"The thing that most people are worried about right now is the inevitability -- not even likelihood, the absolute inevitability -- of a false negative," one general manager said.

Or, said the athletic training official involved in the process, what if a player or staffer has a "low viral load" after being infected by the virus for only a few days and that doesn't register on a test.

Said the official, "So a terrible situation would be if that person just got infected, he's carrying, but he's not showing, and you do the finger-prick test that says negative, and then you have him amongst everybody else, thinking he's got a clean bill of health, but he doesn't really."

Theoretically, officials said players and other team staffers would need to be isolated before their test results returned. But as several officials asked, if an individual tests positive, how long would that person be held out? Even then, team officials said, the rate of potential tests is unclear: Would players and staffers be tested every day? After games, would they have to be confined into a quarantined space at a specified location and thus separated from anyone else in the public?

Creating a perfect bubble of sorts might sound like an ideal aim, but many around the league said such an idea seems almost logistically impossible.

Chatter about potentially playing games at neutral sites -- or cities where the virus spread remains low -- has circulated through the league, including the potential for all teams to play in one city or for games to be split among two locations, one in the Western Conference and one in the Eastern Conference.

"If there's a will, there's a way. Logistically, it can get done," one GM said. However, another cautioned against the risk of even one infected player.

Many team officials told ESPN that as the days pass and financial losses mount, there will be increasing pressure for the league to return to play in some form, potentially even if there isn't a perfect environment.

"If you're going to come back, you have to come back knowing that people are going to have [the virus]," one NBA general manager said.

Such a decision then comes down to risk/reward and what the NBA, NBPA and all involved parties are comfortable with.

As one longtime athletic trainer said, "This is the question that the league is surely struggling with is, if 80% of the players have been exposed and 20% haven't, can you make a risk-reward [calculation]?"

Several team officials interviewed said that as the NBA explores avenues to return to play and salvage elements of the 2019-20 season -- to play some sort of regular season or a postseason or even a mixture of the two -- there is confidence in NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

"Adam was the first to close, and that resonates," an NBA general manager said. "We're not going to be the first to open and have it be a disaster."
/10char...
Old 04-07-2020, 02:19 AM   #207
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA indefinitely suspends season after Rudy Gobert's positive COVID-19 test

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/c...n-free-agency/

Potential complications with the Clippers future if there are no playoffs this year.

Article makes interesting points on Harrell and Morris, but I don’t see PG or Kawhi wanting to leave after returning “home”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #208

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Like I said before, Clippers could be the biggest loser of all this. Bucks a close 2nd.

No guarantee Kawhi or PG picks up their year 3 PO, and that same offseason Giannis could leave the Bucks. Both obviously had good shots of making the finals this year, so to go from that to possibly having your guys leaving just over a year later, that'll suck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »