Home

2020 NBA Playoffs - Western Conference 1st Round Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2020 NBA Playoffs - Western Conference 1st Round Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #73
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs - Western Conference 1st Round Discussion Thread

The last glimpse of playoff LeBron was his epic 2018 run. I don't believe he's too far removed from that. Until he shows me otherwise, I'm banking on him showing up and out in the playoffs.

That said, OJ is right, this aint your average 8th seed and Dame is on a tear. It will be a very interesting match up. Give me Lakers in 6.

Clippers in 6.

Nuggets in 7.

Rockets in 7.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #74
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
We have not remotely looked as good offensively as any of those former LeBron squads have been where LeBron was an offensive system all on his own. The best offensive engine in the league. Him drawing defense before snapping a pass to an open shooter. Or the team moving the ball two or three more times before draining a three. That does not happen with this team at all.

Obviously personnel is a big part of the reason...but Lebron is part of the Lakers personnel and he is not the same player he was. And I don't see how that's something even worth arguing. The man IS older

Now that shouldn't be taken as "he's not good" anymore lol

Im simply saying he doesn't have the same gravity as he did before that would lead to easy shots off good ball movement for his teammates. Nor is he the explosive scorer he's been in the past.

He has more trouble beating his man off the bounce. Guys now are much better staying in front of him, and meeting him at the rim. So teams don't have to dedicate as much resources in "containing him". And hes not as good a finisher at the rim as he has been in recent years.

He settles for threes more now. And that could be a product of the direction the league has gone...or it could be a product of not having as easy a time getting to the rim. That's for anyone to decide

But I know almost for a fact he isn't getting to the free throw line like he used to where he was just drawing foul after foul.

Now this is just from what I'm seeing watching the Lakers these last couple years. Maybe stats tell a different story. But from where I stand, he's not the offensive force he was before. Again, he's older. Man is in his 17th season. And we know he has MILES on those legs

And also again...let me say, he is still elite. Before this gets twisted into something I never said lol

This could be because LeBron doesn’t have those consistent outside shooters that he’s had on other teams.

It was easy for him to get in the lane when you know you’ve got knockdown shooters who can keep defenses honest.

He probably feels like he has to do more now.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley departed Orlando this morning and returned to Columbus, Ohio for the birth of his son.
— Eric Woodyard (@E_Woodyard) August 16, 2020
With the series starting tomorrow, and going every other day, Conley is certain to miss at least the first two games, and likely to miss the first three. https://t.co/JmuGUkBubj
— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) August 16, 2020
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #76
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Damn. The hope was that we would be able to get to Game 4 WITH Conley and then he takes off, this complicates things a bit

Guess it's time for point Mitchell. Probably why Snyder was giving Clarkson some starter minutes

Maybe if we survive long enough for Mike to come back we can get a suped-up Dad Conley like FVV last year

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

Last edited by JazzMan; 08-16-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

Games in the NBA bubble have averaged 231.5 points, up from 222.9 during the regular season. There were 45.8 fouls per game in the bubble, compared to 41.2 prior, via @ESPNStatsInfo.
— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) August 16, 2020
Old 08-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #78
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Lakers in 5

Clippers in 6

Nuggets in 5

Rockets in 6
Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #79
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
This could be because LeBron doesn’t have those consistent outside shooters that he’s had on other teams.

It was easy for him to get in the lane when you know you’ve got knockdown shooters who can keep defenses honest.

He does have to do more. But it's not just because of the lack of consistent shooting

Watching him this year, he just can't get by dudes like he used to. Teams just don't have to send help because he's not killing teams who defend him one on one.

You will see him routinely, try a move. Then going to a counter move. Then another counter move. And another counter move. And never getting a step....And those plays usually result in him finally chip away getting to the paint and going to a spin move that moves the defender with his strength to create the space he needs to finish at the rim. Y'all look for it, I swear. It'll make you laugh when it happens

Now this is in stark contrast when he could take two or three dribbles, beat his man and finish at the rim for an and-1, firing the ball out for to an open shooter or classic tomahawk

AGAIN, I'm not saying LeBron can't get his. He can of course. All I'm saying is he doesn't apply the same pressure to defenses that we've grown accustomed to. And yes, he does have to work harder. So LeBron ball isnt as effective as it was before

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 08-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
I'm not gonna get too deep into this. Mainly cause it's late...and I'm drunk...been drinking a lot tonight. But LeBron is still that dude...his problem is he's trying too hard to get AD involved and make him the #1 option. It's obvious as all hell...do you remember opening night? It was literally LeBron force-feeding AD non-stop. Sometimes it's annoying and I think he overdoes it...that don't mean he still doesn't got it. Giannis and the Bucks couldn't do a damn thing to stop him before the shutdown...so he's still got it. But he ain't letting it all out just yet...that's what he does. Trust me.

Sincerely,

A LeBron stan since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
The last glimpse of playoff LeBron was his epic 2018 run. I don't believe he's too far removed from that. Until he shows me otherwise, I'm banking on him showing up and out in the playoffs.

That said, OJ is right, this aint your average 8th seed and Dame is on a tear. It will be a very interesting match up. Give me Lakers in 6.

Clippers in 6.

Nuggets in 7.

Rockets in 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
He does have to do more. But it's not just because of the lack of consistent shooting

Watching him this year, he just can't get by dudes like he used to. Teams just don't have to send help because he's not killing teams who defend him one on one.

You will see him routinely, try a move. Then going to a counter move. Then another counter move. And another counter move. And never getting a step....And those plays usually result in him finally chip away getting to the paint and going to a spin move that moves the defender with his strength to create the space he needs to finish at the rim. Y'all look for it, I swear. It'll make you laugh when it happens

Now this is in stark contrast when he could take two or three dribbles, beat his man and finish at the rim for an and-1, firing the ball out for to an open shooter or classic tomahawk

AGAIN, I'm not saying LeBron can't get his. He can of course. All I'm saying is he doesn't apply the same pressure to defenses that we've grown accustomed to. And yes, he does have to work harder. So LeBron ball isnt as effective as it was before

Honestly all of you are correct.. LeBron has slowed down, that happened before this year though. He lost that ability to just blow past everyone really dating back to his first year back to Cleveland when he tried to lose all that weight to get quicker. Remember it was going to be “scary” lol ..

With that said some of his defensive sequences and close outs have looked as quick as his peak years this season, he’s had games like the Clippers, Bucks games where guys like Giannis, Kawhi, he was bowing past them even. The question is can he do it during the playoffs for whole games, or at least entire 4th quarters? Like 24 said we are in somewhat of a waiting game to see if he can still get to that selectively or not. You don’t expect him to do it all the time, but can he level up like he did the last couple years in Cleveland? Who knows

To me the biggest difference has been the whole “point guard” thing. Yes he has streaky-er shooters and yes they force the ball to AD too often, but as much as we talk about “LeBron ball” he’s actually been doing a great job at playing off guys like Wade, Love, Kyrie for a few years now. He’s not in a position to play off of anyone here, there isn’t a secondary ball handler, AD does not see the floor like Love either.

LeBron has killed on those high post switches, basically dominated his last playoff run with them. Also at getting Love the switches and him posting with LeBron back cuts, or him going high to make entry passes to Bron.. Lakers play with zero point guards (Other than Rondo) and don’t play AD at the 5 so it’s LeBron and 2 bigs. He can’t work the high post, he’s not getting back cuts, he’s not getting his touches where it’s one step from the rim anymore. And frankly AD isn’t great a getting the ball inside and going back out with it, on top of Bron not being in a position to cut behind help with JaVale/Dwight lurking around.

It’s a weird dynamic, works great if AD and Bron are knocking down threes, works great when AB or KCP sneak up with 20+ also, otherwise they seem pretty low firepower offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »