Home

75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

This is a discussion on 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Is that AB post the first time he's ever had universal praise for contemporary players?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
This is me being dense (it's early on a Saturday) but if NBA at 50 was celebrated during the 1996-97 season, wouldn't NBA at 75 be celebrated during the 2021-22 season (25 seasons after NBA at 50)?

Anyway, I wonder what happens with a guy like Dominique Wilkins, who was argued to have been snubbed from the original 50. With how many great players who've made their mark since 1997, could Wilkins still get the short end of the stick?
Wilkins was too one dimensional to make an all time greatest list. For pure entertainment though he is an all timer but a guy like Klay Thompson is a better player.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

The original top 10 teams didn’t include the same dynasty multiple times and IMO it doesn’t make sense to do it now. No reason to pick multiple Bulls and Lakers teams that are basically the same with so many other great teams since then.

2018 Warriors, 2017 Warriors, 2015 Warriors, 2014 Spurs, 2013 Heat, 2008 Celtics, are all good enough teams to not essentially pick the same team twice +/- a role player.

Personally I’m a sucker for teams like the ‘14 Spurs, ‘11 Mavs, ‘04 Pistons, all of which maybe lack that dominant figure or loaded with “stars” but they were all playing their brand of basketball to perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Also if Yao cracks the list given his short lived career, applies to T-Mac to a slight degree too, then Grant Hill is absolutely making my list.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Cutting some guys off this list is so hard.. Numbering just to keep count, not to place them in order.

1.) Kobe Bryant
2.) Tim Duncan
3.) Kevin Garnett
4.) LeBron James
5.) Kevin Durant
6.) Steve Nash
7.) Jason Kidd
8.) Stephen Curry
9.) Chris Paul
10.) Dwyane Wade
11.) Dirk Nowitzki
12.) Dwight Howard
13.) Kawhi Leonard
14.) Paul Pierce
15.) Ray Allen
16.) Carmelo Anthony
17.) Tracy McGrady
18.) Pau Gasol
19.) Anthony Davis
20.) James Harden
21.) Klay Thompson
22.) Tony Parker
23.) Russell Westbrook
24.) Nikola Jokic
25.) Giannis Antetokounmpo

Narrow Missed- Manu Ginobili, Chris Webber, Shawn Marion, Reggie Miller, Chauncey Billups, Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, Jimmy Butler.

Only missed because of injuries- Grant Hill, Brandon Roy, Yao Ming, most likely Derrick Rose.

Hardest decision was to include Joker and Giannis. I let Giannis make the list for the way Shaq was voted on to the original list, realistically I think he still needs a couple more years of play to qualify for something like this but he's a two-time MVP.. For Joker I couldn't allow Giannis to qualify and not give the same to someone else if they were deserving. I feel like for two playoff runs now Joker has been a top 3-5 guy in post season play.

Grant Hill and Brandon Roy IMO were better than a chunk of guys listed, they just didn't do it for quite long enough. Yao could make a case himself. Hardest guy to leave off was Manu, I had him and Billups both on the list but removed them for Klay and Westbrook who were on my narrow misses list. Russ has his flaws, but despite those his talent level is in a tiny room of players, I couldn't leave him off.

Coaches:
1.) Pop
2.) Sloan
3.) Carlisle
4.) Brown
5.) Kerr
Old 10-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Also if Yao cracks the list given his short lived career, applies to T-Mac to a slight degree too, then Grant Hill is absolutely making my list.

My feeling is that Yao’s size, skills, and versatility presented more problems for the opposition than Hill and McGrady did.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

If I added 5 teams it would be and I’m using the same dynasty rule as others.

1. 97 Bulls
2. 01 Lakers
3. 17 Warriors
4. 14 Spurs
5. 99 Spurs

If Garnett never got hurt in 09, I feel pretty confident that team would be on this list. They were absolutely clicking prior to the injury.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 PM   #16
KnightRaiders

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Cutting some guys off this list is so hard.. Numbering just to keep count, not to place them in order.

1.) Kobe Bryant
2.) Tim Duncan
3.) Kevin Garnett
4.) LeBron James
5.) Kevin Durant
6.) Steve Nash
7.) Jason Kidd
8.) Stephen Curry
9.) Chris Paul
10.) Dwyane Wade
11.) Dirk Nowitzki
12.) Dwight Howard
13.) Kawhi Leonard
14.) Paul Pierce
15.) Ray Allen
16.) Carmelo Anthony
17.) Tracy McGrady
18.) Pau Gasol
19.) Anthony Davis
20.) James Harden
21.) Klay Thompson
22.) Tony Parker
23.) Russell Westbrook
24.) Nikola Jokic
25.) Giannis Antetokounmpo

Narrow Missed- Manu Ginobili, Chris Webber, Shawn Marion, Reggie Miller, Chauncey Billups, Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, Jimmy Butler.

Only missed because of injuries- Grant Hill, Brandon Roy, Yao Ming, most likely Derrick Rose.

Hardest decision was to include Joker and Giannis. I let Giannis make the list for the way Shaq was voted on to the original list, realistically I think he still needs a couple more years of play to qualify for something like this but he's a two-time MVP.. For Joker I couldn't allow Giannis to qualify and not give the same to someone else if they were deserving. I feel like for two playoff runs now Joker has been a top 3-5 guy in post season play.

Grant Hill and Brandon Roy IMO were better than a chunk of guys listed, they just didn't do it for quite long enough. Yao could make a case himself. Hardest guy to leave off was Manu, I had him and Billups both on the list but removed them for Klay and Westbrook who were on my narrow misses list. Russ has his flaws, but despite those his talent level is in a tiny room of players, I couldn't leave him off.

Coaches:
1.) Pop
2.) Sloan
3.) Carlisle
4.) Brown
5.) Kerr

Damn near blasphemous to have Jokic in there over Iverson.

I’d also easily take Pau off of that list.

I don’t see how Melo makes it but Reggie Miller doesn’t. Melo falls into that Dominique Wilkins category IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »