Home

75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

This is a discussion on 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Moderator
 
Majingir's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,705
Blog Entries: 1
75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

With the next season all but likely starting in 2021, regardless when it happens, it will be the 75th season in NBA history. The original charter was signed in June 6 1946, 75 years to the date we might have regular season games happening.

For the sake of this thread, let's just choose the top 25 since the 96/97 season who aren't already on the list from 96 of top 50 greatest players.

In addition, they had a top 10 coach and team list. I say we add 5 more to each.

Top 25:
Kobe
LeBron
Duncan
Dirk
Garnett
Iverson
Reggie
Payton
Wade
Yao
McGrady
Nash
Kidd
Allen
Mutombo
Durant
Curry
Giannis
Harden
Westbrook
Kawhi
Paul
Pierce
Carmelo
Carter

Top 5 coaches:
Popovich (crazy to think when the first list was made, he hadn't coached a single game yet)
Kerr
Brown
Sloan
Spoelstra

Top 5 teams:
96-97 Bulls
99-00 Lakers
??-?? Spurs (I honestly dont know which should be considered their greatest team, maybe 13-14?)
12-13 Heat
16-17 Warriors

Last edited by Majingir; 10-22-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Majingir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame
 
cima's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,927
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

You really put Yao on there over Dwight Howard? The disrespect continues even after his redemption tour is complete.

Yao's peak was too short anyway. Dude might not have even played 6 seasons (I don't remember)

Last edited by cima; 10-22-2020 at 09:35 PM.
cima is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
MVP
 
3304Life's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2016
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Yep. I think Dwight gets in over some of those dudes, even if I donít think it should be Yao.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3304Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame
 
cima's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,927
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

From that list, Dwight is more deserving than:

- Melo
- Vince Carter
- Chris Paul
- Westbrook
- Harden
- Giannis
- McGrady
- Yao
cima is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
MVP
 
OVR: 25
Join Date: Jul 2008
Blog Entries: 8
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
With the next season all but likely starting in 2021, regardless when it happens, it will be the 75th season in NBA history. The original charter was signed in June 6 1946, 75 years to the date we might have regular season games happening.

For the sake of this thread, let's just choose the top 25 since the 96/97 season who aren't already on the list from 96 of top 50 greatest players.

In addition, they had a top 10 coach and team list. I say we add 5 more to each.

Top 25:
Kobe
LeBron
Duncan
Dirk
Garnett
Iverson
Reggie
Payton
Wade
Yao
McGrady
Nash
Kidd
Allen
Mutombo
Durant
Curry
Giannis
Harden
Westbrook
Kawhi
Paul
Pierce
Carmelo
Carter

Top 5 coaches:
Popovich (crazy to think when the first list was made, he hadn't coached a single game yet)
Kerr
Brown
Sloan
Spoelstra

Top 5 teams:
96-97 Bulls
99-00 Lakers
??-?? Spurs (I honestly dont know which should be considered their greatest team, maybe 13-14?)
12-13 Heat
16-17 Warriors
Non-bigs-

1. LeBron James- His power, all round skills, and big time leadership make him the best.
2. Kobe Bryant- Everything you could want in a wingman.
3. Dwyane Wade- Lacked only shooting range but could do everything else.
4. Kawhi Leonard- Another all around star.
5. Kevin Durant- Could score every way imaginable.
6. Stephen Curry- A nightmare to guard. All out motion combined with wizard-like handle and 30 foot range.
7. Jason Kidd- Had the all round game of MJ with the anticipation skills of Larry Bird.
8. Paul Pierce- The most underrated superstar of his generation.
9. Steve Nash- A mini Larry Bird. Always made his teammates play better than they actually were.
10. Ray Allen- A genius on the court. Clutch shooter supreme.
11. Chauncey Billups- Raised the level of play of his teammates. Versatile and reliable in the clutch.
12. Chris Paul- With the ball in his hands he is an all timer.
13. James Harden- Powerful and skilled warrior on offense.
14. Manu Ginobli- His lefty slants were unstoppable and his courage left us all in awe.
15. Klay Thompson- A rare two way wingman.
16. Tony Parker- A jet-setter who gradually matured into a fine point guard.
17. Giannis Antetokounmpo- Freakishly gifted with some holes in his game. Seems willing to improve weaknesses.
18. Shawn Marion- A jack of all trades. Could defend across multiple positions at the highest level.
19. Brandon Roy- He was brilliant. He could take over a game on offense while rarely forcing a shot or pass.

Bigs-

1. Tim Duncan- In the clutch he could always be counted on to get a score, stop, or rebound.
2. Dirk Nowitzki- His high release jumpers were unstoppable.
3. Pau Gasol- His versatility and smarts were key to two Laker titles.
4. Anthony Davis- Fundamental brilliance.
5. Yao Ming- Highly intelligent and skilled giant.
6. Kevin Garnett- His trademarks were defensive intensity and creative jump shooting.

Top five coaches-

1. Greg Popovich- Focused on defense. His in game adjustments were likely worth five points every game.
2. Steve Kerr- Put motion into Golden State's offense and deftly managed egos.
3. Rick Carlisle- Ideal bench side demeanor.
4. Erick Spoelstra- Another great Xs and Os guy and has shown he can manage the big egos.
5. Jerry Sloan- Highly competitive and very stubborn. Teams were always very disciplined.

Top five teams:

1. 96-97 Bulls- Among the best defensive teams ever. Hard team to run on due to elite transition defense. The triangle was run to near perfection and MJ was there to save them if it failed to generate a good look.

2. 97-98 Bulls- Still a great team for the above reasons. Rodman was slightly less effective on defense and the boards though.

3. 00-01 Lakers- Had the two best players in the league. The role players were reliable and the triangle maximized everyone's skills.

4. 99-00 Lakers- I rate them slightly behind the 01 team because Kobe was a bit more untamed here. Glen Rice jammed up the triangle too much and couldn't guard anyone. This team did not have Horace Grant's positive play on it.

5. 02-03 Spurs- They played precision defense and shared the ball on offense. Duncan and Malik Rose were a powerful inside duo and Bruce Bowen locked up the wing scorers.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 10-23-2020 at 05:51 PM.
AlexBrady is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame
 
cima's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,927
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Non-bigs-

1. LeBron James- His power, all round skills, and big time leadership make him the best.
2. Kobe Bryant- Everything you could want in a wingman.
3. Dwyane Wade- Lacked only shooting range but could do everything else.
4. Kawhi Leonard- Another all around star.
5. Kevin Durant- Could score every way imaginable.
6. Stephen Curry- A nightmare to guard. All out motion combined with wizard-like handle and 30 foot range.
7. Jason Kidd- Had the all round game of MJ with the anticipation skills of Larry Bird.
8. Paul Pierce- The most underrated superstar of his generation.
9. Steve Nash- A mini Larry Bird. Always made his teammates play better than they actually were.
10. Ray Allen- A genius on the court. Clutch shooter supreme.
11. Chauncey Billups- Raised the level of play of his teammates. Versatile and reliable in the clutch.
12. Chris Paul- With the ball in his hands he is an all timer.
13. James Harden- Powerful and skilled warrior on offense.
14. Manu Ginobli- His lefty slants were unstoppable and his courage left us all in awe.
15. Klay Thompson- A rare two way wingman.
16. Tony Parker- A jet-setter who gradually matured into a fine point guard.
17. Giannis Antetokounmpo- Freakishly gifted with some holes in his game. Seems willing to improve weaknesses.
18. Shawn Marion- A jack of all trades. Could defend across multiple positions at the highest level.
19. Brandon Roy- He was brilliant. He could take over a game on offense while rarely forcing a shot or pass.

Bigs-

1. Tim Duncan- In the clutch he could always be counted on to get a score, stop, or rebound.
2. Dirk Nowitzki- His high release jumpers were unstoppable.
3. Pau Gasol- His versatility and smarts were key to two Laker titles.
4. Anthony Davis- Fundamental brilliance.
5. Yao Ming- Highly intelligent and skilled giant.
6. Kevin Garnett- His trademarks were defensive intensity and creative jump shooting.

Top five coaches-

1. Greg Popovich- Focused on defense. His in game adjustments were likely worth five points every game.
2. Steve Kerr- Put motion into Golden State's offense and deftly managed egos.
3. Rick Carlisle- Ideal bench side demeanor.
4. Erick Spoelstra- Another great Xs and Os guy and has shown he can manage the big egos.
5. Jerry Sloan- Highly competitive and very stubborn. Teams were always very disciplined.

Top five teams:

1. 96-97 Bulls- Among the best defensive teams ever. Hard team to run on due to elite transition defense. The triangle was run to near perfection and MJ was there to save them if it failed to generate a good look.

2. 97-98 Bulls- Still a great team for the above reasons. Rodman was slightly less effective on defense and the boards though.

3. 00-01 Lakers- Had the two best players in the league. The role players were reliable and the triangle maximized everyone's skills.

4. 99-00 Lakers- I rate them slightly behind the 01 team because Kobe was a bit more untamed here. Glen Rice jammed up the triangle too much and couldn't guard anyone. This team did not have Horace Grant's positive play on it.

5. 02-03 Spurs- They played precision defense and shared the ball on offense. Duncan and Malik Rose were a powerful inside duo and Bruce Bowen locked up the wing scorers.

Really interested to hear why you don't have the 16-17 Warriors in your top 5 when they're arguably the best postseason team ever?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cima is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
MVP
 
OVR: 25
Join Date: Jul 2008
Blog Entries: 8
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Really interested to hear why you don't have the 16-17 Warriors in your top 5 when they're arguably the best postseason team ever?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just can't see them beating any of the top five teams I listed four times in a seven game series. The Bulls would control the pace of the game and their long and elite defenders would contain Curry, Durant, and Thompson. Rodman would turn the backboards into a free for all. Against the Lakers Shaq would simply obliterate Golden State in the paint and they would have no answer. In a matchup with the Spurs Duncan and Malik Rose would play volleyball on the boards and Bruce Bowen could contain Durant's offense.
AlexBrady is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame
 
VDusen04's Arena
 
OVR: 18
Join Date: Aug 2003
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

This is me being dense (it's early on a Saturday) but if NBA at 50 was celebrated during the 1996-97 season, wouldn't NBA at 75 be celebrated during the 2021-22 season (25 seasons after NBA at 50)?

Anyway, I wonder what happens with a guy like Dominique Wilkins, who was argued to have been snubbed from the original 50. With how many great players who've made their mark since 1997, could Wilkins still get the short end of the stick?
VDusen04 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Top -