Home

PES 2010 Console Impressions

This is a discussion on PES 2010 Console Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
MVP

cookusu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: PES 2010 Console Impressions

I agree with a lot of what PK said. One thing I have had to do that I haven't in previous years is that I actually have to use tactics to win a game. Changing pressure or attack or realizing what the teams standard settings are and how they affect the way you should play. Yes the CPU really does build up their attack, I don't really see the Ping Pong Passin mentioned, sometimes it does move a little too fast but their generally seems to be a reason for how they pass the ball and it changes based on how you defend them, how cool is that!!

On the headers I am the opposite of PK, I had a miserable time in Fifa trying to get anyone on my team to do anything useful with the ball in the air, on PES I have more success and can generally take control of my guy and make a play on the ball. I will say that some of the goals scored against me on headers were frustrating because I didn't feel like I had a chance, but compared to FIFA this happens far less.

I think the 360 version controls a little better than the PS3, could just be me though, liking the 360 controller better.

The Master League is better, where you have to manage your finances better, if you are a big name team, you get a lot of money and your sponsorship is big, you can afford top notch coaches which supposedly help with the development and scouting of your players. I started a new ML as Sunderland and I have a lot less money to play with and you have to decide how to use it. Other than that it is similar to previous years but more user friendly.

One of the things I like the best over FIFA is in FIFA my strikers seem to score almost all my goals in PES, I have had multiple guys score in a variety of ways already. I like not knowing where my goals will come from and who will score them.

I could see some people being upset with the controls not allowing you to go on a run all the way downfield and scoring, but the reward is there when you score, you feel like you earned it. Like PK said with Gourcuff.. I would say more than previous years it is not all about speed, your fast guys will get cut off and tackled on the harder levels, having a savvy guy with passing skills is very useful.

Oh one other thing I liked is in the ML league when you pick up a new player is teamwork rating is really low and builds up over the time that you have him, it was suspected that this was the case in previous years, but now you can see the attribute build up.

Graphically I like it, in some ways it looks better than FIFA and in others FIFA looks better but in realistic gameplay it wins hands down.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
The CPU offensive A.I is good, and their creativity did take a step up.

But their passing is way too ping pongy....Too many first time passes by the cpu. I didn't see this in past years' games.
The build up play is just too fast. Instead of receiving the pass and survey the situation, the cpu will just rattle off some passes together for the attack. Big disappointment for me.
I haven't played enough and haven't messed with the tactics enough, but I am seeing a bit of this too. I saw a discussion where they mentioned editing certain pass ratings, maybe that would help.

Tactics could be a key too. I have played games with Milan vs smaller Serie A teams and have had room all day and it was a joke it was so easy. Then the other night I play Hull-Man U just to see and the gameplay was much faster and arcadey. I know the EPL is fast but Hull (CPU team) was all over me all over the pitch, very FIFA like.

I need to see more though so my word is not gospel.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

Brief impressions:

The gameplay is standard PES stuff, but is improved. Basically the CPU passes a bit too much, but on the positive side the CPU offensive AI seems much better and I have been scored on by a variety of goals.

On the defensive side for the CPU they play similar to last years, strong line, lots of steals if you dribble too much, but they do let you get off too many long shots, at least on "Regular" level.

There have been a complaint about lack of fouls. Playing on 15 minute halves I have seen a couple each half, by me and by the CPU, but there should be more. Some obvious ones weren't called (like real life), but I do think this is an area they dropped the ball.

Graphically the game's textures are gorgeous, the player likeness is the best ever, but the animations are still stiff and show relics of the PS2 days of WE. The 360 controls do exist somewhat, much better than the demo, but FIFA 09 has much better in player animations and true 360 movement.

Overall it seems good so far, I love the variety of the CPU attack. The game, outside of bad running animations and still a little too fast, looks like a real game. I like it more than the FIFA demo by a wide margin, but then again I liked PES 2009 over the full FIFA 09 version so take that with a grain of salt.

Anybody get this game to work in 1080i on the PS3 (US version)? I have to set my PS3 to 720 mode to play it, if I go to 1080i the game will play in 480 mode.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

First off i play offline so my comments have nothing to do with online play.
Having had this game since release over here (about 10 days) this is what i have found.

The Good
Graphics - Player likenesses are very good for the most part with all the top players being easily recognisable and even some of the lesser known players on teams look pretty good too.

Stadiums look good

ML upgrade is long overdue and this is a good start, the integration of the CL is well done and really immerses you into the season.

The Bad

So they decide to implement a new penalty system into the game.
Ok no problem with that except the fact that YOU NEVER GET ONE!
As i mentioned in a previous post the refs in this game are just moronic. They give fouls all over the park for the merest of touches but rarely issue cards but when you get in the box you can be gang probed and the ref dosen't seem to have a problem with this...go figure.

Comp AI
This has been so dumbed down it's not true. I have been playing both on Pro and Top Player but it is still far too easy.
Which leads me on to the scoring, in years gone by you used to have a decent match against the comp trying to string a move together that would get shut down but when you did get it to work or make that killer pass for a goal then it was jump out of your seat time, fist pumping....anyone who has played previous versions i am sure know what i am talking about. But with this version the AI is just imcompetent and allows you attack after attack shot after shot so that when you do score it dosen't have that same magical feel it once used to.

Comp Defenders
Again just awful. Why when i am running down the middle of the pitch are they running away from me(reminds me of Madden lol) and camping themselves to the edge of the box therby allowing me to rattle off 25yders time after time. Crazy.
And before someone chimes in with this can be fixed with the Tactics, well no it can't.
I have tried maxing out pressure, compactness, moving the defensive line further up and all other sliders relating to defending and have even gone in and edited defenders ability ratings, upped defence, tenacity and anything else that might relate to them holding their line and tackling you by with zero success

There are other issues but that is all i can think of at the moment.

Now obviously this is an extremely negative response but if a patch is released for the refs and the idiotic defending this game would be right up there as these to me are the real things holding this game back.
Bottom line for me anyway is that the good are all cosmetic and the bad (unfortunately) are all game related.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

I think the theory of Top Player really being Pro and vice versa is true.

Anyone else experience cpu players sliding around? It's a weird bug.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

Hey guys. I missed this thread pinned to the top. Anyway I wrote a post about cpu cheating here: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ated-game.html

So far I have been mildly disappointed with the game but I find myself constantly playing it. I play almost entirely offline so my main focus is cpu play. I truly feel this game was meant to be played between to top tier teams. When two top tier teams meet it is a very fluid and open football experience. There is enough space for traditional build up play and for mounting quick counter attacks. It is during games like this the game engine shines. It is because the cpu varies its attack when it is in control of a great team. As a matter of fact I have only seen the early cross attempted by the cpu when it is in control of one of the top teams. I feel the cpu cheats less in this situation too. Don't get me wrong though you will still be cheated constantly on the higher difficulty levels, just not as much as when you are playing a poor team.

The main problem I have with the game comes with playing against poor teams. The game just absolutely breaks down. In the situation where the cpu will take a more defensive posture frustration sets in. First of all the cheating is INSANE. Poor teams players are traditional slower and lack the skill of players who play on top clubs. But don't tell this game that because it will equals out skills and actually gives more skills to your (inferior) opponent. This makes no sense to me. I'm sorry if they are not any good they will probably be beaten. This game just wants you to draw everytime against them. Also because the of the cpu stacked defense they have no chance of a counter attack. So their only option is build up play. He is a quick tip....if you are not overly aggressive and shut down passing lines during presses plus shut down the touch line the cpu will NEVER get off a shot. EVER. The cpu's creativity is apparently tied to open style games. If it relies on just one aspect (ie build up play) it can't even score. The next problem is the build up play these poor teams mount is nothing but a ping pong match. It is not uncommon for me to see the cpu be 170 for 180 passes without a shot!

Sorry if this is a little rambling it is just what I noticed so far. I will post some more impressions later. By the way these impressions are from playing on the highest or second to highest difficulty setting.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #23
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

I never thought I would say this about PES.....but as a whole, the cpu A.I is BAD......both offense and defense.

the main problem defensively is that they retreat way too much and it gives the user basically a free shot a lot of times just right outside the box. Scored this way countless times to see that it's a problem.

Offensively: basically all cpu teams play the same. one touch passing galore, very very very rarely will the cpu receive a pass, slow it down a bit, make a run at a defender. Once they receive the pass, it's either a one touch pass or one step dribble and pass. I never had any problems like this in past PES. The cpu is creative, but their offense is based on the super duper quick passing and one touch passing. Not realistic at all. The only time the cpu A.I will run at a defender is if he's a winger and flying down the wing.

If the cpu has the ball in the middle of the pitch....boom bam ping pong passing. very unrealistic.

tried to change cpu gameplan/strategies- Doesn't work
tried to edit ratings of the cpu ( pass speed and pass accuracy)- Doesn't work

It's the first time I got disgusted at this series after a day of playing. Another sports game bites the dusttttt......
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 8

I'm addicted to this Game. I play using the Broadcast 2 Camera and it is so Real I feel like I'm watching a Real Match on TV and I find myself playing the game how it looks on an actual Broadcast gameplay wise. Love just about everything about the game.

I have wonderful matches and every game is different. One game I win 4-0, the next I lose 1-0, the next I Draw 0-0 and the next I Draw 2-2. So much Fun!! There's so many different ways to score and that's why I keep coming back for more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »