Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (360/PS3) Review

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (360/PS3) Review within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (360/PS3) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjkflannel
FIFA really isn't like that this year, the AI will contain you rather than pressure you all the time like fifa 11. I played PES with -1 speed, although haven't played the finished game (EU). The build up still felt fast, i think the way the ball can travel so quickly and directly makes the killer ball so much more effective. I found the demo exhilarating but ultimately unsatisfying. Sometimes through balls feel destined to go to my striker likewise with crosses that zero in on the attackers head. The shooting is more about powering up that bar and crossing your fingers unlike FIFA where even a through on goal isn't the end of the story. PES is an attacking game that is great fun but not a simulation. Some say it has the soul of football, i think they are misinterpreting the mechanics of the game. It offers great goals every match, every time - football isn't like that. its sometimes about bad passing, poor decisions 80 percent of the time then suddenly one great move earns a goal. Would you say NBA Jam represents the soul of basketball (well some might) but i hope you get my point.
I respectfully disagree.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanRG
I respectfully disagree.
I think the great thing this year is everybody wins pes is great and FIFA is great, last year both had big issues. I spent along time with both demos this year but FIFA won, I would ask any pes fan to checkbout this years FIFA before making any comparisons. it has made strides that are hard to come back from such as satisfying defending (something I've never seen in a football game) all it needs now is the incredible pes attacking ai, and a refinement of the impact engine. Ive played pes since the ps2 days and it's good to see it finally getting back to the level of end to end action that made It so fun to play.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
FIFA really isn't like that this year, the AI will contain you rather than pressure you all the time like fifa 11. I played PES with -1 speed, although haven't played the finished game (EU). The build up still felt fast, i think the way the ball can travel so quickly and directly makes the killer ball so much more effective. I found the demo exhilarating but ultimately unsatisfying. Sometimes through balls feel destined to go to my striker likewise with crosses that zero in on the attackers head. The shooting is more about powering up that bar and crossing your fingers unlike FIFA where even a through on goal isn't the end of the story. PES is an attacking game that is great fun but not a simulation. Some say it has the soul of football, i think they are misinterpreting the mechanics of the game. It offers great goals every match, every time - football isn't like that. its sometimes about bad passing, poor decisions 80 percent of the time then suddenly one great move earns a goal. Would you say NBA Jam represents the soul of basketball (well some might) but i hope you get my point.
FIFA contains just for the sake of saying that they have toned down pressure. I've spent more time so far with FIFA (waiting on the OF) and the amount of time you have on the ball inside your opponent's half is mind boggling. I can get the ball to my ST, turn, take 1-2 dribbles before the CB will come up.

The same goals I scored on FIFA '08 are the same one's that work in '12. Angled shots with the finesse modifier, passes across the goal for tap-ins, etc... Don't get me wrong, there are some aspects of FIFA that I love (the new tackle system for example) but it doesn't provide the spontaneity that PES offers. Not every goal is pretty on PES either. I have scored some absolutely ugly goals resulting from scrambles in the box, something the other game doesn't do as the AI is incapable of doing it consistently.

Through balls have been greatly toned down since PES 2011 and I prefer this header system where it values timing as well as physical skill.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
FIFA contains just for the sake of saying that they have toned down pressure. I've spent more time so far with FIFA (waiting on the OF) and the amount of time you have on the ball inside your opponent's half is mind boggling. I can get the ball to my ST, turn, take 1-2 dribbles before the CB will come up.

The same goals I scored on FIFA '08 are the same one's that work in '12. Angled shots with the finesse modifier, passes across the goal for tap-ins, etc... Don't get me wrong, there are some aspects of FIFA that I love (the new tackle system for example) but it doesn't provide the spontaneity that PES offers. Not every goal is pretty on PES either. I have scored some absolutely ugly goals resulting from scrambles in the box, something the other game doesn't do as the AI is incapable of doing it consistently.

Through balls have been greatly toned down since PES 2011 and I prefer this header system where it values timing as well as physical skill.
Good points, i think FIFA's contain system does go to far at times particularly in the box when you just want players to swarm and the goals i have scored often come from the wings. The computer always attacks from the wings (another complaint). The system isnt meant to decrease pressure its meant to make the game more considered and tactical. As for the crossing i do agree that timing plays an important factor but have the aim on auto does feels a bit old, plus the angle a winger can catapoult the ball across his body still needs work, i do like the way the computer closes you down on the wings aggressivly. I think Pes needs an new animation system to progress, i think this is as good as it gets on this engine. I think the thing that is great about pes is if you think it you can do it but that doesnt apply to the collisions where things are still to bumper cars, although at least the computer actually fouls you, unlike fifa.
Ive scored the kind of goals you are talking about and they are quite spontaneous but also comical. Normally the ball will be spilled by butter hands goalie, bounce off a player and then into my path.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Good points, i think FIFA's contain system does go to far at times particularly in the box when you just want players to swarm and the goals i have scored often come from the wings. The computer always attacks from the wings (another complaint). The system isnt meant to decrease pressure its meant to make the game more considered and tactical. As for the crossing i do agree that timing plays an important factor but have the aim on auto does feels a bit old, plus the angle a winger can catapoult the ball across his body still needs work, i do like the way the computer closes you down on the wings aggressivly. I think Pes needs an new animation system to progress, i think this is as good as it gets on this engine. I think the thing that is great about pes is if you think it you can do it but that doesnt apply to the collisions where things are still to bumper cars, although at least the computer actually fouls you, unlike fifa.
Ive scored the kind of goals you are talking about and they are quite spontaneous but also comical. Normally the ball will be spilled by butter hands goalie, bounce off a player and then into my path.
The contain system is great in theory and with some fine-tuning will be the backbone of a new & improved FIFA but right now w/o tweaking team tactics it doesn't resemble real life. It's absorb absorb absorb until you, the user, do something. I think PES's defensive approach is right on with the amount of pressure + tactical intelligence.

Animations do need to improve in PES, no doubt about it, but the impact engine has made FIFA take a step back IMO. Aside from the crazy animations that you can find on youtube there are numerous times where you an animation collision will initiate and the outcome is totally unpredictable with no regards to physics or strength. I've seen physical CBs like Hummels & Ferdinand get thrown by the likes of Bojan because an animation will take them out the play. There's too many times where you cross your fingers playing defense and hope that the ball won't magically drift into the attackers path after a collision. Coupled with the fact that you AI will often leave you high & dry with their reaction times and I've given up many goals online that I have literally no control over.

I still enjoy both games but I've put more time into FIFA right now while I wait for the 360 OF to come out.

Last edited by KG; 10-06-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG

That is so true. It's almost literally the only goals available on FIFA which makes it quite boring after a few games.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #23
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10
The beauty of having this game on pc is, the modders have already fixed two of the three cons the reviewer listed lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »