Home

What PES Needs to Do to Catch FIFA

This is a discussion on What PES Needs to Do to Catch FIFA within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: What PES Needs to Do to Catch FIFA

I agree with you guys on the online for PES; its terrible!

I have been a long fan of PES (since the ISS days) but I had to unfortunately move to the other camp (and they have been making some awesome progress!).

I did like PES this year but like the author said, it feels sloppy and dont get me started on the commentary!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

FIFA is always going to be shinier, with more licenses, better commentary and better atmosphere; where PES shined earlier this decade was that it was a better game overall, something that appealed more to soccer aficionados and gamers than to kids.

PES really lost it, and lost it big, over the last few years. The earlier poster who said PES felt "rugged" is dead on...I just can't get over how poor the controls feel. When the game isn't smooth, you notice other bad things, like bad AI and terrible audio (even though I do like the graphics), and I barely make it through full games anymore and go weeks without playing it.

I'm really disappointed in PES this year. So much so that I'm not touching it next year unless there's universal acclaim - and waiting for option files to start your ML or just enjoy the game more, made me wonder why I pre-ordered it instead of just waiting til now to buy and save $$.

FIFA has its issues, too. I always assumed I would phase out of soccer games, but soccer games are phasing me out.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
Rookie

yopis's Arena

OVR: 7

Full manual settings fifa is the far better game gameplay wise. Assisted it's a wash with pes sometimes coming out better. PES needs to get the league licenses to go big time. Not having that makes the game look like the first bill walsh college football. Raleigh instead of NC state, College station instead of Texas A&M. It's seems cheap and harkens back to an earlier time.

For the record I like PES in some aspects and I think competition is good. If full manual was ever removed from fifa I would jump on PES more. ( have it for my ps3, fifa for 360.)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
dsk
Rookie

OVR: 2
Seabass basically rested on what was an amazing game back in the previous generation of consoles, figuring (by mistake) that PES would always out play Fifa on the pitch. Neither camp showed much in the early releases of the next gen era. However, I give EA a lot of credit of looking at the worlds most popular sport and deciding years ago that it would one day catch, and then surpass PES. There was also the well known fact that PES loyalists would always buy the game for it's incredible on the pitch gameplay. Well, the next gen began to shatter that thinking with even the most loyal admitting after a few pints that Fifa is now the better package.

Market share is dwindling every season for PES and unless they take a long, hard look at the basics of what is wrong with the game, and actually do something about it, they will never, ever catch up.

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
FIFA is better to play online.

PES is better to play offline.

Sad, that you need two games to really get your fix.

If I had to choose one it would be PES though. Every game you see something new. And now that I finally know how to play some defense with new control scheme this game is back in my rotation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
They're not going to catch FIFA any time soon.

FIFA got out of the gates quick as one of the better sports games this generation, showcasing technology and controls that felt more "next gen" than most of it's contemporaries, and they've been backed by one of the more powerful marketing machines in the business. That's a lot to overcome, especially for a small operation like Konami.

PES is still the better game though. Always has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
Seabass basically rested on what was an amazing game back in the previous generation of consoles, figuring (by mistake) that PES would always out play Fifa on the pitch. Neither camp showed much in the early releases of the next gen era. However, I give EA a lot of credit of looking at the worlds most popular sport and deciding years ago that it would one day catch, and then surpass PES. There was also the well known fact that PES loyalists would always buy the game for it's incredible on the pitch gameplay. Well, the next gen began to shatter that thinking with even the most loyal admitting after a few pints that Fifa is now the better package.

Market share is dwindling every season for PES and unless they take a long, hard look at the basics of what is wrong with the game, and actually do something about it, they will never, ever catch up.

I'm not holding my breath.
True facts and totally valid points. Today it's not about the best footy game, but about the best overall experience; the "total package" video games offer to gamers.

Despite of having a better overall understanding of the sport, Konami is stuck in a Football video game and has not been able to deliver "The World of Football" FIFA has become in recent years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

Go back to the basic fun elements of early 2000s PES. Its that simple
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Konami just can't compete with EA's advertising monster.

Pretty much every time I turn on a soccer game on TV, it seems like it's "presented by FIFA 12."
This is the answer. I have never seen a commercial for any PES game let alone 2012. The way it stands now, there is nothing they can do to "catch" Fifa in advertising but they already had and still have the lead in the gameplay dept.

EA could sell snow to an eskimo or water to a whale, their marketing and advertising is that good.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
Banned

tKlausEffect's Arena

OVR: 1

Honestly, if the roles were reversed and PES had all of the official licenses that EA has for FIFA I believe that PES would be the sales leader. Official licensing goes a long way and sells games no matter what the quality, just look at Madden, EA knows this and it is precisely why they are so desperate to snatch up exclusive rights. I'm not saying that FIFA is a bad game at all, but if PES had all of the real teams and leagues that FIFA had, EA would be in big trouble in the soccer department.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »