Home

PES 2013 Reviews In

This is a discussion on PES 2013 Reviews In within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: PES 2013 Reviews In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellison609
This is funny, I use the PES control settings when playing FIFA since I'm so used to PES settings.
I do the same thing
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8

Universal acclaim for PES. Great to see good competition. The only genre left where there is a healthy competition. Only 1 option in all other sports.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Sorry, but slagging a sports title for its "soundtrack" blows your credibility, IGN. Then harping on the licenses? Is your review really based more on how much EA spends OUTSIDE of the developers studio than in? If you want to put those out there for customer preference then fine, but they should have no bearing on how you score it.

I watched the IGN video review and he seemed to rave about the gameplay and then at the end was like, "oh, by the way, the career mode is fidgetty". "fidgetty" WTF? That was it - absolutely no detail or insight into the only negative thing in the entire review.

The other fault appears to be a 'steep learning curve'. While the reviewer is free to express his opinion I personally want some depth to my sports games. Far too often I purchase a sports title that is seemingly loaded with features - features that after a week become meaningless. Why, because I'm get so bored by shallow gameplay that no amount of padding can make me want to keep playing. Sorry, but steep learning curve just seems odd strike against a sports title.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Sorry, but slagging a sports title for its "soundtrack" blows your credibility, IGN. Then harping on the licenses? Is your review really based more on how much EA spends OUTSIDE of the developers studio than in? If you want to put those out there for customer preference then fine, but they should have no bearing on how you score it.

I watched the IGN video review and he seemed to rave about the gameplay and then at the end was like, "oh, by the way, the career mode is fidgetty". "fidgetty" WTF? That was it - absolutely no detail or insight into the only negative thing in the entire review.

The other fault appears to be a 'steep learning curve'. While the reviewer is free to express his opinion I personally want some depth to my sports games. Far too often I purchase a sports title that is seemingly loaded with features - features that after a week become meaningless. Why, because I'm get so bored by shallow gameplay that no amount of padding can make me want to keep playing. Sorry, but steep learning curve just seems odd strike against a sports title.
Not having the real teams in the game shouldn't have a bearing at all in how a game is scored? Honestly, that doesn't make much sense to me. They gave it an 8.5 which is a pretty good score actually.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
MVP

lnin0's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Not having the real teams in the game shouldn't have a bearing at all in how a game is scored? Honestly, that doesn't make much sense to me. They gave it an 8.5 which is a pretty good score actually.
What team isn't in the game? What team is supposed to be?

Are all the teams of the world in FIFA? Do you think FIFA will get slighted for not having this team or that team or this league or that?

There are plenty of licensed teams/leagues in PES13. Probably more licenses than any other sports title next only to FIFA.

I just find it irresponsible for a reviewer to use licensing as a negative. How deep a publishers pockets are for licensing teams, or even soundtracks, has nothing to do with all the work that the developers put into a game or the gameplay.

It isn't called PES "NFL" or "MLB" or even "BPL" - in no way is Konomi misrepresenting the game or the licensees they do have. In fact, it is just called PES...no allegiance to any league so how can it get slagged for what it doesn't claim to be? What if it was called "PES LaLiga 2013" and all the other licensed and unlicensed stuff was just extra icing on the cake? Would it still be OK to subtract points for "licenses"?

It is no different than a reviewer slagging on COD for not having jets because BF does. Different game. Different design choices. It's a cheap shot for a review to take digs at that.

Last edited by lnin0; 09-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Kinda laughing at the complaints about controls. Isn't it FIFA that switched their control scheme to PES?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Not when it's a simple fix with a usb stick, and just getting an option file. FIFA doesn't even have all of the international teams kits. But with PES option files, you'll get every clubs teams kits and correct names...and every international teams kits. You can't beat that.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #24
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Kinda laughing at the complaints about controls. Isn't it FIFA that switched their control scheme to PES?
I was going to say this but over the years and especially this current gen FIFA has borrowed a lot of the control scheme from PES.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »