Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart

Konami has released their third PES 2014 tutorial video, which shows the effect of the new "Heart" feature. Motivation is a key element in PES 2014 and plays a decisive role in the game.

The team plans on releasing more tutorials before Gamescom, which include defending and the all new manual Goal Keeper controls.

What are your thoughts?

Previously released tutorials below.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
What are your thoughts?
Instead of fixing the AI scripting issues that have plagued this series for a few years now, Konami decided to spin it as a new feature... Those are my thoughts.

Absolutely hate momentum/boost programming of this sort, bah. Better be an option to shut it off.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Instead of fixing the AI scripting issues that have plagued this series for a few years now, Konami decided to spin it as a new feature... Those are my thoughts.

Absolutely hate momentum/boost programming of this sort, bah. Better be an option to shut it off.
Yeah true, but I see this as an improvement over the form arrows system. As long as it's not as arbitrary. The form arrows seemed so arbitrary.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Yeah true, but I see this as an improvement over the form arrows system. As long as it's not as arbitrary. The form arrows seemed so arbitrary.
But with the form system, you at least know what you're working with before the game starts, so you can choose to sub in high form guys for low form players. Plus it's a simple thing to edit form ratings so that all players are in good-to-top form for most games.

Regardless, I can accept people have their own opinions regarding form arrows or momentum/boost coding, etc. I even understand why game devs these days include that stuff in their games. What I don't appreciate is that we're forced to play these games that way. We have the option to shut off icons, or to tune sliders... so why aren't we given the option to shut off any and all boost programming?

After seeing the video, I've decided to hold off on buying this game on release day. I'll wait for user reviews or hope for a mod from jenkey or someone, because there is no way I'll buy it if I can't turn that off.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

I like this feature. I'm looking forward to this game so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats

How would you model the role that player and crowd emotions play in the game? How would you account for the reality that teams are impacted greatly by the changes in the confidence level and emotions of players throughout a game?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
How would you model the role that player and crowd emotions play in the game? How would you account for the reality that teams are impacted greatly by the changes in the confidence level and emotions of players throughout a game?
I wouldn't, and mostly because the idea that a player's confidence or morale suddenly plummets just because he missed a tackle or let in a goal or whatever, is IMO silly to start with. These are pro athletes; they don't get discouraged and start to mope when things go wrong. If anything, the reverse is true; that's when a pro picks up his game. Regardless, what's next? Hit X to initiate pep talk or group hug?

I'm perfectly happy the current system where individual players' gameday form, energy, etc. is displayed before kickoff. I have no interest in anything more than that.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-16-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
As long as it's not as arbitrary. The form arrows seemed so arbitrary.
I would say the current form system is much more realistic, even if it is more arbitrary in its execution (an issue with the game coding, not the system itself). With the form system, high form players have high form ratings, and players with a history of form issues have low form ratings. It's a simulation-based system that takes into account players' real-life performance history.

It's certainly more realistic and sim than having every single player in the game gain or lose confidence, depending on his performance. What's that based on? What aspect of this Heart system takes into account each individual player's real-life performance history and psychological makeup?

A system whereby all players gain/lose an equal amount of confidence isn't realistic, bottom line. There are players and, by extension, teams who NEVER allow game circumstances to negatively affect and impact their performance. It's just not in their psyche and mindset. Truth is that's one of the key factors that separates most professional athletes from weekend sports schmoes like us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »