Home

PES 2014 Reviews

This is a discussion on PES 2014 Reviews within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: PES 2014 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
I know this has nothing really to do with your comment Yeats but it just got me thinking. In the end it's just one guy's opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Sounded exactly to do with my post, yours was just more thoughtful and less ranty.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Best review from Eurogamer as usual; puts Gamespot's Karaoki-singing falafel eater to shame:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...es-2014-review
Finally a reviewer that gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
It's true they need a tremendous overhaul with Beglin's lines.
They need to get rid of Beglin altogether. He's a horrible co-commentator IRL. His overuse of the words 'just', 'might' and 'possibly' are infuriating. Can't really stand Jon Champion either. Heck, listening to Peter Brackley alone on PES 5 was better than them two.

This idea that you need two guys as a team commentating on the game is silly anyway. Barry Davies never needed that, and he's the best English commentator of the past 20 years at least by miles, his commentary in Actua Soccer was great (I remember when you would try and cheat and move with the player forward a few too many steps when taking a throw-in, he'd say something like,"Hold on a minute, you can't do that!").

They should get a few commentators to do solo commentary jobs. The guy who does the lesser UCL games on ITV has a better commentating voice than Champion, and he should be given a try. You could try Jonathan Wilson (I think that's his name) from BBC MOTD or the guy who used to commentate on Eurosport but now does Serie A games on ESPN and Athletics on BBC.

EDIT: Oh, and reviewers who keep on mentioning that Konami are missing licences should be banned from reviewing PES again. It's always been that way. It's not Konami's fault they don't have an endless pit of cash to monopolise the licences.

Last edited by Optik; 09-18-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Not going to lie it would be fresh to get a new tandem in the booth. But they need to have better lines or better yet record them together and let them "freestyle".

The commentary is the the next logical step in the evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

PES is a game that I would not use one single opinion of a reviewer to judge.

First and foremost none of them can seem to get by the licensing issue. With the editing system I could not care less about any licenses and since I buy on PC I would rather have less licenses so we can have more generic team slots to edit as we see fit. But even for the console editing team kits is not difficult the only area that you really miss out on vs PC is with the stadiums. Yes it is nice to hear the commentator say the team name for those that are licensed but as many have mentioned the commentary is lacking in the series already so I hardly pay attention to it after 10 games or so. Most downgrade the series far too much for licensing before they even talk about the gameplay.

Second is that this is not an easy pick up and play sports game. Its a game that requires that you invest time learning the game controls and the nuances of ball control before you even begin to start putting other parts of your game together. It also requires that you know the actual game of soccer and not simply play fast break football from end to end passing to any open man down pitch from you. This mix between fighting game control scheme and sport simulation does not mesh well with most video game reviewers genre classifications and as such most dont really seem to understand how to evaluate it.

The only place that I would really use to get opinions on PES are from the two prominant PES focused editing/discussion forums.

Edit: This is exactly why PES will never get a good review from 90%+ video game reviewers. From the eurogamer review "As a game that increasingly resembles a simulation of football rather than a highlights reel PES..."

Last edited by Dogslax41; 09-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
EDIT: Oh, and reviewers who keep on mentioning that Konami are missing licences should be banned from reviewing PES again. It's always been that way. It's not Konami's fault they don't have an endless pit of cash to monopolise the licences.
So true, was thinking something very similar as I was reading.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
I disagree.

We're the hardcore soccer video game followers. We know PES doesn't have all the licenses. We don't mind.

The reviewers have to write for people who haven't necessarily played the series before.

If you had never played PES, wouldn't you want to know the game doesn't have a lot of the leagues you care about out of the box?

It shouldn't break your decision, because option files are awesome, but it's pretty important information to have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Best review from Eurogamer as usual; puts Gamespot's Karaoki-singing falafel eater to shame:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...es-2014-review
I really enjoyed this review. I've skipped the last two versions but have always remained loyal to PES over fifa, and have become enamored by Football Manager as my tactical knowledge has grown and my thumb-work on the controller has regressed faster than Kaka, the line about this game being more for people that read Zonal Marking than Sun Sports truly appealed to me.

Have they fixed the animation where if you sprint forward, the player would suddenly stop? That was a game-killer for me in 2012 and I heard it stayed in 14.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »