Home

PES 2014 questions

This is a discussion on PES 2014 questions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1
PES 2014 questions

Hello everyone. I'm a current FIFA player, who had extensive experience and enjoyment with PES 5 & 6. Since then, I felt that PES dropped the ball and went with FIFA after they updated their engine. I'm very interested in getting PES 2014 and have a few questions before I buy:

1) The main thing Id like to know is, does the AI cheat to win games as much as FIFA? Cheating in FIFA has become brutally obvious and even though I still have a decent record, it literally kills the game for me.

2) Is there still a patch or option file download available for PC users? That used to be the best back in the day, getting all the updated rosters and kits.

3) How enjoyable is this game overall? How satisfied are you to keep playing through multiple seasons in a career?

4) How are the controls and moves? Are they realistic?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Rookie

Bawstun's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: PES 2014 questions

1) The main thing Id like to know is, does the AI cheat to win games as much as FIFA? Cheating in FIFA has become brutally obvious and even though I still have a decent record, it literally kills the game for me.

-To be honest, rubberbanding AI is in every sports game in my opinion, although majority of the time, late AI goals in games can be avoided by playing composed possession, especially if you're leading by 1. Back on topic, PES, well to be honest, I haven't seen much cheating by the AI, maybe because the keepers, for human and AI most of the time are pretty bad(more on that later) in general, conceding goals late, for human and AI, is no surprise.

2) Is there still a patch or option file download available for PC users? That used to be the best back in the day, getting all the updated rosters and kits.
Yes, there are quite a few websites out there, pesedit, pro evo web etc. The user created kits are better than FIFA's.

3) How enjoyable is this game overall? How satisfied are you to keep playing through multiple seasons in a career?
On a scale of 1-10, I would say 6, just too many bugs that are gamebreakers. I won't mention them all, but off the top of my head: slow defenders catching up to fast players on a breakaway, keepers are terrible like previous editions, that is, can't save anything within the box, save anything longshot outside the box, input lag, and oh, did I mention bad keepers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQZZlKO7Ho

Regarding career mode, I haven't spend much time on it(I haven't spend much on PES in general, heck), but I take it that it also suffers from the same gameplay letdowns.
4) How are the controls and moves? Are they realistic?
This year has more of an NBA 2k-esque feel(if you play 2k basketball, you know what I mean), you don't have total control, and sometimes animations take over and do things you don't intend to do, but player movement and passing animations are pretty good, this was probably one of the few positives to me.

So all in all, if there are cheap used copies at a Gamestop and you're really curious, I would recommend getting it, but because of poor patch support and consistent lack of improvement from Konami, I really couldn't justify purchasing the game full price. Hope this post helped!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

Thanks for you in-depth answer - I appreciate it! I picked it up anyway on sale ... figured Id give it a go. So far it seems ok, just have to get used to the change from FIFA
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Rookie

Bawstun's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grallis
Thanks for you in-depth answer - I appreciate it! I picked it up anyway on sale ... figured Id give it a go. So far it seems ok, just have to get used to the change from FIFA
No problem, regardless of its shortcomings, I would have to add that another positive from PES is its steeper learning curve, I hope you have more fun on the game than I did!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawstun
No problem, regardless of its shortcomings, I would have to add that another positive from PES is its steeper learning curve, I hope you have more fun on the game than I did!
Thanks! Right now, even though I'm fairly happy with FIFA, it's nice just to have a change of gameplay and a gameplay that is, in some respects, more realistic.

I've yet to see goalie performance like what was displayed in the YT link you shared. If I encounter that kind of goaltending, I too would be dismayed. It appears the Steam version of the game is on Data Pack 3 and Patch 1.06, so hopefully that helps.

Thanks again!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
MVP

I've not played a football game since the early days of the PS3 and always took PES over FIFA. I keep reading that PES has finally caught up with FIFA in terms of game play after a few poor years.

If I'm playing on he PS3, how easy is it to edit the rosters? Are there ways of downloading updated rosters/kits etc on this platform? I know there are for PC gamers?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
I've not played a football game since the early days of the PS3 and always took PES over FIFA. I keep reading that PES has finally caught up with FIFA in terms of game play after a few poor years.

If I'm playing on he PS3, how easy is it to edit the rosters? Are there ways of downloading updated rosters/kits etc on this platform? I know there are for PC gamers?
it's fairly easy but time consuming. Just download an already set up option file. There's some good ones over at pesgaming.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
it's fairly easy but time consuming. Just download an already set up option file. There's some good ones over at pesgaming.
ok. so i'd have to download then using a usb memory stick and then plug that into my PS3?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »