Home

PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy

This is a discussion on PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy

In a day and age where video games are supposed to mimic what we see on television, there's still a fine line between fun and realism that can make or break a sports title. At its core, PES 2016 achieves what it was set out to accomplish, a blend of realism (unique player ID, team styles, etc.) and fun (fast-paced action, highlights galore, etc.).

Trying to cram 90 minutes into a 10-25 minute experience can be challenging, especially in a sport where a good majority of the play is focused in the center of the field, ways away from either goal. Sure, PES 2016 suffers from inconsistent referees and animations that could be improved, but when it shines, it illuminates the screen.

Read More - PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy (Written by: Kevin Groves)
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
For years I have not understood the love the PES gets. As a football fan since a young boy and Both a player and a spectator of live football PES is lacking in both consistency on the pitch and depth and realism of modes off the pitch.

Every year I go into it with new hope trying to find and see what I see people say about the series but I'm always disappointed.

The game play is the complete opposite to what is said above, the lack of licenses means that unless you are playing exhibitions the fact players "play differently" is pointless. There is no way to replicate the beauty of Stoke Vs Sunderland on a rainy Tuesday. The fact that there is no realistic manager mode that mirrors taking a team in a real league through season after season as it would happen in real life also kills it.

How players can over look this I will never know.

It's like having a NBA game with no draft system and no divisions. If NBA live shipped without a draft system and two leagues with promotion and relegation and no NBA finals it would be hammered on here yet PES redesigns football the way it works and how it would be the manage a club and it Barely gets mentioned!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
The way the game flows is what keeps me coming back. It just looks and moves closer to real football, despite presentation issues. I love how well you can maneuver with little space. Like NBA 2k and MLB, it does a great job overall to make me forget I'm playing a video game. The control I feel over players is great. There's weight balanced so well with responsiveness. And speed is handled well to where it makes a difference but doesn't get abused as easily. I have high hopes for where PES will be at the end if this generation.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Rookie

Simaofan-20's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy
For years I have not understood the love the PES gets. As a football fan since a young boy and Both a player and a spectator of live football PES is lacking in both consistency on the pitch and depth and realism of modes off the pitch.

Every year I go into it with new hope trying to find and see what I see people say about the series but I'm always disappointed.

The game play is the complete opposite to what is said above, the lack of licenses means that unless you are playing exhibitions the fact players "play differently" is pointless. There is no way to replicate the beauty of Stoke Vs Sunderland on a rainy Tuesday. The fact that there is no realistic manager mode that mirrors taking a team in a real league through season after season as it would happen in real life also kills it.

It's like having a NBA game with no draft system and no divisions. If NBA live shipped without a draft system and two leagues with promotion and relegation and no NBA finals it would be hammered on here yet PES redesigns football the way it works and how it would be the manage a club and it Barely gets mentioned!
Is it Konami's fault that EA pays for exclusive licenses ? Is it their fault that they had the entire La Liga licensed including all stadiums but EA took that from them and haven't used it since? What about the German league and their exclusivity with EA? How can anyone blame Konami for that? It simply isn't fair. Also, the idea that they don't ship with major championships is factually incorrect. Why aren't you praising them for the champions league and Europa league licenses? What about having the Euro 2016 tournament and jerseys for free something EA never did? There's nothing wrong with not enjoying PES, its a different game but to complain about lack of license because they aren't willing to add them in is silly. The fact that you flat out tried to make a ridiculous comparison by claiming "what if NBA shipped without ...." and how its so horrible for PES for lacking features that FIFA has because that simply isn't the case at all.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:

Seriously NBA live?
Worst sports game ever,hope you mean NBA 2k.
NHL and FIFA are great EA games,NBA is a joke
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

Agree with this sentiment. PES 2016 is the most overrated game I've ever played, with the possible exception of the old 2k football games way back when. Gameplay isn't that good and the support and attention to detail is the worst of any sports game out there. They still don't have the transfer deadline rosters correct.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
The exclusive licenses have little to do with it.

The fact there isn't a mode that allows you to mirror real life.

Almost all sports games with or without licenses at least at attempt to give you the chance to play a mode that mirrors the day to day of being a team/franchise.

This is only one of the issues that plagues PES.

Blaming EA for buying licenses is more ridiculous that accusing me of blaming konami. EA pay for those expensive licenses that konami don't and yet the games ship at a similar price. I didn't mention this. My point about Stoke Vs Sunderland was more to do with the fact that in PES it's all about Barca playing like Barca. (Which even then is a stretch to the reality) the makers seem to completely ignore that fact that slick passing and wonder goals aren't the only way to play football.

You try and play with statistically a much much lower team (perhaps English non league standard) and play against a premier league standard and by smart play and concentration dig out a result. That is the real beautiful game. FA cup games in a windy January - Giant killings....

PES is always sold by its fans as being realistic - it's not. Far from it.

It's not about licenses it's about structure.

FIFA doesn't have the champions league license but it in career mode has a cup that follows the same qualifying criteria and fits into how the tournament would. Who cares about a cup emblem. It's all about structure for realism.

I'm not saying FIFA is perfect and I never mentioned FIFA I was just looking at PES in isolation
Old 11-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
The exclusive licenses have little to do with it.

The fact there isn't a mode that allows you to mirror real life.

Almost all sports games with or without licenses at least at attempt to give you the chance to play a mode that mirrors the day to day of being a team/franchise.

This is only one of the issues that plagues PES.

Blaming EA for buying licenses is more ridiculous that accusing me of blaming konami. EA pay for those expensive licenses that konami don't and yet the games ship at a similar price. I didn't mention this. My point about Stoke Vs Sunderland was more to do with the fact that in PES it's all about Barca playing like Barca. (Which even then is a stretch to the reality) the makers seem to completely ignore that fact that slick passing and wonder goals aren't the only way to play football.

You try and play with statistically a much much lower team (perhaps English non league standard) and play against a premier league standard and by smart play and concentration dig out a result. That is the real beautiful game. FA cup games in a windy January - Giant killings....

PES is always sold by its fans as being realistic - it's not. Far from it.

It's not about licenses it's about structure.

FIFA doesn't have the champions league license but it in career mode has a cup that follows the same qualifying criteria and fits into how the tournament would. Who cares about a cup emblem. It's all about structure for realism.

I'm not saying FIFA is perfect and I never mentioned FIFA I was just looking at PES in isolation
I understand what you're going for.
I wouldn't care if Pes didn't have a single license,if they can't create the feeling you get when beating a big team in the cup with you're third div team on a rainy pitch in January,it's not for me either.
Always defended this game before,started with Pes 5 all the way to my latest purchase Pes 16.
I'm done with playing on 9 stadiums in ML,a boring cup run etc.

Like I said wouldn't care less if every league was fake,as long as you have 3-4 div,and stadiums for most teams,and the "experience" of watching/attending a game.

Switching to FIFA now,hopefully they sort out things at Konami,like importing stadiums/kits/etc if they can't afford to buy them
And most important,listening to their customers
Cheers

Last edited by Ettnollbajen; 11-29-2015 at 02:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »