Home

PES Takes a Step Forward Into a Potential Subscription Release Model

This is a discussion on PES Takes a Step Forward Into a Potential Subscription Release Model within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
PES Takes a Step Forward Into a Potential Subscription Release Model

Pro Evolution Soccer has done it.

In case you missed the news, PES is the first major sports game to try a free to play model, which released today.

This model includes seven teams you can play free of charge, including Bayern Munich, Juventus, AS Roma, Brazil and France. It also includes a full training section, and perhaps most importantly, the full experience of the MyClub feature.

Read More - PES Takes a Step Forward Into a Potential Subscription Release Model
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Will say...I just downloaded PES. I've been curious about the series for a long time, but have never played it. (I'd already moved on to PS4 when PS+ made PES free on PS3. I wrote this sentence partly because of the ridiculous number of acronyms with P's and S's.)

So, I'm looking forward to firing up PES for the first time tonight.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
it's actually a better made game than fifa. only thing is that fifa has all the damn licenses, so you have to rely on downloading from their create-a-center.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #4

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: PES Takes a Step Forward Into a Potential Subscription Release Model

My fear is that a subscription type model for sports games would make it more likely that we'll end up with even smaller gameplay/graphic advancements year to year than we have now. Assuming games would even be updated annually in the first place. But spending less on a title year to year would be nice, although I'm not sure how that would work for a game like FIFA with all those licenses.

That said, from what we know about Konami right now, I would not be surprised if we don't get a physical copy release next year at all.

Last edited by dubcity; 12-09-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

The way I see it these days, people like myself who buy sports titles annually are basically paying a $60 subscription fee every year. You're paying for updated rosters and gameplay enhancements that only 10-12 months of work can produce. Konami/EA/2k/SCEA all realize this and it seems as though they are trying different methods of maximizing their gains.

I really wish they'd separate online trading card modes in all sports games and release it as a separate game to the main product. Most of these companies are trying to be experts in all facets of the game and what consumers ultimately pay for is a game that's lacking in every area. It's become a tangled mess of features and online modes that most people don't care about. This can be attributed to the "jack of all trades, master of none" phenomenon.

An example of this is the way people (myself included) have such fond memories of PES/WE back in the PS2 days. The game didn't have many licenses, fake teams/players were everywhere, but it succeeded in what it set out to do: create a customizable game that's geared towards an excellent Master League experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

I see this as being bad for the industry. This reminds me of the old Tiger Woods games when it would ship with about 5 courses and to get to play the full game you had to spend hundreds of dollars for DLC. How much is it going to cost the end user who wants to play with every team/league in the game? I can see those costs adding up really quickly.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I think this could be a huge improvement for games if done properly.
This is basically the model that is followed once a new console generation begins:
1. Create new engine and release a nearly featureless version.
2. Update rosters, and add one or two features that were present in old-generation titles.
3. Repeat until next generation of consoles comes out.

With the current generation, some games even skipped part 2 deciding to use a very similar or the same engine as was previously used.
So you got a slight upgrade in graphics, but not much more.

What I'm hoping for is that because the developers are no longer slaves to the 12-month cycle, they can actually give us more bang for our buck every 2 to 3 years.

Can you imagine how much better some of these games would be if they only released every 24-36 months?

They will either do that, or just be lazy and release high-priced tuner/patch sets while maintaining status-quo of giving us roster updates and slowly add features that existed on the PS1.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:32 AM   #8
Just started!

well,Konami/EA/2k/SCEA all realize this and it seems as though they are trying different methods of maximizing their gains.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »