Home

PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

This is a discussion on PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #65
Banned

lions67's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

Not sure if anyone here has mentioned it, but you can play online with this demo using shareplay.
I did it last night. Love the game so far. Wasn't planning on getting a new football game, but having played this, I will be getting this one. Goodbye FIFA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #66
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
I solved this issue. When playing on Superstar, if you increase the CPU form arrow to half-up, the CPU then no longer gives free space all over the pitch -- the midfield becomes a warzone.

The problem is that in Master league you cannot increase the CPUs form arrow. However, I don't think it will be a problem bc konami ups the difficulty level for master league mode always.

So this has become a NON-PROBLEM. Case closed.
No, not case closed. First off, you are assuming that an increase in difficulty will change AI defending behavior, this is a reach at best and wishful thinking at worst. Secondly, the problems arise in transition when the CPU simply "gives up" turns their backs and heads back to defend. This create loads of space for the attacking club to exploit, and from what I've seen thus far, this behavior occurs on ALL difficulty levels. So until I see with my own eyes that this has been fixed, it will remain a problem.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #67
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
All that matters is that there is a proper balance of tactics and football common sense. This is the biggest concern for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Excellent youtube video on this issue. Keep it up. But on what you said about superstar not being that challenging, on default form (you are right), but if you change the cpu form arrow to diagonal raised this game becomes REALLY CHALLENGING. I play full-manual, -2 gamespeed. You'd expect master league to AT LEAST play like that. So challenge wont be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
No, not case closed. First off, you are assuming that an increase in difficulty will change AI defending behavior, this is a reach at best and wishful thinking at worst. Secondly, the problems arise in transition when the CPU simply "gives up" turns their backs and heads back to defend. This create loads of space for the attacking club to exploit, and from what I've seen thus far, this behavior occurs on ALL difficulty levels. So until I see with my own eyes that this has been fixed, it will remain a problem.
This game was unplayable on Superstar neutral form arrow (way too much space conceding). After raising the CPU form arrow slightly, AI space conceding doesn't bother me to the point that I pre-ordered this game. It really improved the experience GREATLY. I am confident Master league will AT LEAST play like this.

I should have initially explained it that way.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 09-06-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
Excellent youtube video on this issue. Keep it up. But on what you said about superstar not being that challenging, on default form (you are right), but if you change the cpu form arrow to diagonal raised this game becomes REALLY CHALLENGING. I play full-manual, -2 gamespeed. You'd expect master league to AT LEAST play like that. So challenge wont be an issue.

The game was unplayable on Superstar neutral form arrow (way too much space conceding). After raising the CPU form arrow slightly, AI space conceding doesn't bother me to the point that I pre-ordered this game. It really improved the experience GREATLY. I am confident Master league will AT LEAST play like this.

I should have initially explained it that way.
The thought that form arrows remains high the whole time...in Master League...is completely ludicrous, man. There is no possible way that any sort of experience should be at the highest form...at all times. That's the complete opposite of football. You play it on your worst form and you play it on your best form. There's really no argument there.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #69
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
The thought that form arrows remains high the whole time...in Master League...is completely ludicrous, man. There is no possible way that any sort of experience should be at the highest form...at all times. That's the complete opposite of football. You play it on your worst form and you play it on your best form. There's really no argument there.
The thought is that since master league difficulty is always raised, raising the cpu's form slightly in the demo could be a partial window into how master league will play. Based on how it plays, I think it's a good sign.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 09-06-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #70
Rookie

I'll be making the switch this year to PES.

Just have a little trepidation about the option file.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wanted to spend a few weeks with the demo before I gave a comprehensive review of it.
Whilst playing the demo I also went back and forth playing PES16 and FIFA16 in order to get a good overall feel.

What it came down to was feel and presentation.

In terms of presentation, PES17 looks amazing. The player models, the pitch, the shadows, colour palette, the stadiums, some of the new animations, the swerve you see on the ball, the overall aesthetic side of things is sublime. This is a big improvement over PES16 and I think that in comparison, FIFA still lacks from a sense of fluidity and presentation. Also, the pitch in PES looks accurately sized, whereas FIFA's continues to look too small. Cameras are also great in PES17. My only gripe is that nigh time matches look far inferior to day time matches. The colours and shadows are still not as good as in day time and I hope Konami give us the option of choosing time of day when playing in League mode (last year this was randomly selected and could not be overridden).

I am particularly impressed with shots and saves. There is a snap, a sense of awe, a sense that something will happen every time you hit one or you get one hit against you. That's very refreshing as it brings excitement to the game even when the ball does not go in.

The feel of the game is where PES falls short in my opinion. Similarly to PES16, the game wants you to play in certain channels. Dribbling is still hit and miss. Some of the tricks may look nice but they have no impact on the game. In actual fact they slow the dribbler down making it easier for the opposition to take the ball off. I am not sure why they ever implemented that system. Quick changes of pace are not well implemented.

The game still suffers from the magical magnet ball. No matter how you press and tackle, ball carriers will have a magnetic feel around them preventing defenders from tackling. This is very frustrating. I want to have full control over my action. If my overzealous tackling results in a foul or red card, so be it, but I want to decide that for myself, I don't want to AI to stop me lunging in or making a tackle. The only time you can lunge in is via a sliding tackle, but I want to be able to challenge when on my feet.

The other thing, which concerns me when playing vs the CPU is the CPU's ability to always find a perfect pass or shot regardless of the pressure I put on the ball carrier. This should not be the case and FIFA have made some important strides in the right direction on this. When under pressure, the CPU should not be able to clear the ball to a teammate every single time.

My last major concern is the time it takes to recover from a tackle. This marred the game last year and the year before and it is still there. You get tackled and your player is unresponsive for what seems like an eternity. Success in football, like most quick sports, depends on that quick reaction, a quick change of directions and a quick recovery. For whatever reason PES still suffers from a latency in this department. Again, FIFA feels much more fluid.

Apart from these concerns, the game looks solid. I will buy the retail version and I think I will enjoy playing it. I think in the past 2 years Konami have made progress but there are still aspects which can be improved. In my perfect world, I would have the PES presentation with the FIFA feel. In reality I will have to hope that both games keep improving.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #72
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

Laxy. Are you double tapping the tackle button?

And when anything feels unresponsive hit super cancel

I have to disagree on fifa making strides part because fifa is a panick-y mess of pass perfection cpu wise, the mere second you lose possesion in their box they clear it directly to the boots of the cm who immediately starts the counter attack. EA either don't care about this or can't fix it because it won't go away.

Last edited by BL8001; 09-08-2016 at 12:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »