Home

Why PES2020 is not all that great

This is a discussion on Why PES2020 is not all that great within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2019, 04:12 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why PES2020 is not all that great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabemaju
FIFA 20 is a massive downgrade from 19 in terms of on-the-pitch gameplay and for every plus they have introduced in CFM, they've screwed something up (most notably player values). Pace has improved, but the defensive play is so bad that I am here, looking for reviews on PES 20. I have yet to find a compelling reason to move from FIFA 19 with updated roster mods (PC), and I do not see the newer games being patched into success. I have yet to see a review that will make me look more into PES 20, but I absolutely cannot understand anyone in any way, sliders or not, giving FIFA 20 a positive grade.

I am so used to terribly unrealistic, arcade-style gameplay that FIFA keeps doubling down on that I would be delighted with any sort of change of pace. I am not sure this is the year, though.
Cannot disagree more....FIFA 20 is a blast....best FIFA to date and this is coming from a PES fan, offline player who is only interested in Master League/Career Mode. Head over to the FIFA Sliders
Community for a few tips on how to make FIFA amazing. My tip would be to start playing in Broadcast Camera with realistic sliders implemented. The realism and AI are outstanding this year. I enjoyed fifa 19, however, this year's installment is another level. You just need to forget everything you know about fifa 19 and play the game differently.
Anyway, thought I'd let you know I'm not loyal to Konami nor EA sports. I'm just after the best gaming/realistic experience. PES seemed promising with its demo, however, after playing the Full version for 3 weeks straight there are too many flaws that I cannot get over to enjoy the game. Those flaws totally ruin the experience and I've ended up not enjoying the game at all. This has happened for me for every PES for the past 4 years....great on the surface, but once you scratch deeper, a huge can of worms opens up. FIFA once again wins it for me this year.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
Cannot disagree more....FIFA 20 is a blast....best FIFA to date and this is coming from a PES fan, offline player who is only interested in Master League/Career Mode. Head over to the FIFA Sliders
Community for a few tips on how to make FIFA amazing. My tip would be to start playing in Broadcast Camera with realistic sliders implemented. The realism and AI are outstanding this year. I enjoyed fifa 19, however, this year's installment is another level. You just need to forget everything you know about fifa 19 and play the game differently.
Anyway, thought I'd let you know I'm not loyal to Konami nor EA sports. I'm just after the best gaming/realistic experience. PES seemed promising with its demo, however, after playing the Full version for 3 weeks straight there are too many flaws that I cannot get over to enjoy the game. Those flaws totally ruin the experience and I've ended up not enjoying the game at all. This has happened for me for every PES for the past 4 years....great on the surface, but once you scratch deeper, a huge can of worms opens up. FIFA once again wins it for me this year.
Different strokes for different folks, Iīve seen FIFA 20 review by KG and man these defensive problems in FIFA are hard to overlook. PES has a share of itīs problems thatīs for sure but I am enjoying it, itīs challenging, and I am looking forward to the announced October patch. Iīve seen negative reviews of both FIFA and PES and many positive ones, thatīs why I think everybody should just play what one enjoys. Weīll see, I am considering buying FIFA as well.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Rookie

I just stick with PS2 versions of PES (3/5/2008) if I wanna play some soccer.

Every once in a while I'll give a new one a try, but I feel they've gone downhill since that era.

Last edited by Anthraticus; 09-26-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
The way you make a seperate post instead of commenting in impressions thread shows your loyalty. You just wanted to trash pes and show your fifa loyalty saying best ever?? Every game has issues, with these yearly releases and fifa is no different. Ive played pes and fifa and pes out of the box is definitely superior on the pitch. This post should be closed and moved to impressions thread.

PSN: ORLANDORUCKUS
Twitch: hunkerdown
YouTube: ORLANDORUCKUS
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Rookie

boy oh boy...It's amazing how guys attach so much of a game to their own personality...i.e. if you like PES well then you must HATE me! That's a Netflix special kinda funny.

Anywho, for those looking for a reasoned look at FIFA and PES check out KG's reviews of each game. They are spot on and offer a non partisan look. Here's the kicker about FIFA 20:

"Out of the box, FIFA 20 is the one of the poorest releases for the series in some time. The gameplay can’t get out of its own way at times due to poor defensive fundamentals, while the career mode is littered with bugs that were fixed in past iterations."

Of the two games PES has made the largest strides forward this year. For me I love the fact we have two really good games...faults? Yes. But there is competition and that's good. Go ask Madden fans if they wish EA had some competition for that game. Or better yet look at NBA2K...no NBA Live this year and boom crappy game.

Also agree w hunkerdown...this should not even be a thread...it's just one effing opinion.

Last edited by roswell0075; 09-26-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: wording
Old 09-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
Rookie

you can love sport, watch sport on tv or play sport yourself...but don't do the mistake and buy a sports title these days

These companies do little to nothing each year, probably having a 10-year business-plan how to get the most $ out of the people in the next decade. Fifa plays worse than Fifa15 or 16...Konami didn't manage to hire a sound-designer in the last decade to create new atmospheric stadium and fan sounds. Easy squeezy i would say, you can even hire a professional freelancer to do that. Komami, a TripleA company, you know LOL.

Their scripting is getting every year more awful, noticeable, not reproducable....HELLO...Human to ******? why am i even playing if my skill and the stats are only secondary important and the SCRIPT decides if weak loosy team with 70 OVR overruns you!?

Another rant, i know
Old 09-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #15

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG

Agreed, especially on zero-assist passing where passes go wayward and certain players lock on that might not be the closest player to the ball. It was mentioned in the upcoming patch notes so here's to that.
I think it's a matter of players lacking intelligence/depth. I started playing manual passing last year to slow buildup down and create more of a midfield. One time I did a ground cross in front of goal and Benzema (CPU controlled) just let a tap in go by, and I couldn't take control of him quick enough to make him shoot it. That was the last day I played PES 2019.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I think it's a matter of players lacking intelligence/depth. I started playing manual passing last year to slow buildup down and create more of a midfield. One time I did a ground cross in front of goal and Benzema (CPU controlled) just let a tap in go by, and I couldn't take control of him quick enough to make him shoot it. That was the last day I played PES 2019.
Yes, this anomaly has plagued every PES since I can remember.....and yet, despite making big leaps forward for 2020 they, have allowed this rather simple issue to still be a major flaw of this year's release.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »