Home

2024 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2024 Offseason Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-07-2024, 08:24 PM   #289
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: 2024 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Sure, and if they still had Smith in there fighting for his job I can see the point. But I don't see why you'd want to bring Russ in to lead you to a wild card home loss when you're sitting there with the 8th overall pick. They need a long term answer at QB and this is their best chance to get one. If Russ comes in and doesn't win you a title, then you're sitting here in 1-2 years trying to figure out how to find a QB with like the 20th overall pick and guys like London and Robinson's rookie deals coming to a close.
You say this as if they can’t address the position in the Draft lol. Getting Wilson doesn’t lock them in with him for the next few years nor does it prevent them from addressing that position. This isn’t some huge project where they’re tearing everything down to the studs. I know they’ve been linked to possibly trading for Fields or going with Cousins, who I also mentioned BTW.

Robinson was drafted last year so they still have time on his deal, London has been up and down(I attribute some of this to Qb play and Smith)but so far, he hasn’t shown himself to be someone you commit big money to. And there’s also the fact that they’re going on 7 years since their last playoff berth and we know *most* of these Owners get when they go more than a few years without making the playoffs.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:22 AM   #290
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Cap casualties out the ***. Wonder if some of these guys might come back to Buffalo on a cheaper deal.

Injuries have ravaged us the last couple seasons, but we got some great play out of Hyde/Poyer for 7+ years. Not common to have a tandem stay together so long playing at the level they did. Poor Tre White’s legs are probably shot after the injuries he’s had the last 3 seasons.

One silver lining is BUF seems to be able to develop decent DB’s out of mid, late picks and UDFA’s. I think we’ll be okay but it feels like the heart of the defense has been ripped out. These are the consequences of paying your QB… and we’ve got no hardware to show for it yet.
Paying Allen wasn't the issue because Allen is actually living up to his contract. Paying Miller, Knox, White, Harty, and Bass while getting extremely little out of them was the issue. A lot of folks like to compare us to the Chiefs and put it on drafting. The Bills have actually been drafting very well, the difference between us and KC is that their expensive vets (Kelce, Jones, Thuney, etc) have been showing up when it counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
You say this as if they can’t address the position in the Draft lol. Getting Wilson doesn’t lock them in with him for the next few years nor does it prevent them from addressing that position. This isn’t some huge project where they’re tearing everything down to the studs. I know they’ve been linked to possibly trading for Fields or going with Cousins, who I also mentioned BTW.

Sure but Wilson isn't a mentor, nor is his play style one you'd want another QB to emulate. If you are drafting a guy this year, sign a better bridge.

Quote:
Robinson was drafted last year so they still have time on his deal, London has been up and down(I attribute some of this to Qb play and Smith)but so far, he hasn’t shown himself to be someone you commit big money to.

Robinson has 3 years of cheap, after that he's either on the 5th year option or an extension. And if you're going to downtalk London, that only puts them further away from real contention and the situation even less ideal for Wilson.

Quote:
And there’s also the fact that they’re going on 7 years since their last playoff berth and we know *most* of these Owners get when they go more than a few years without making the playoffs.
It made sense if Arthur Smith was still the coach and desperate to keep his job, but Morris just came in and has the most leeway he's going to get right now.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:05 AM   #291
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Sure but Wilson isn't a mentor, nor is his play style one you'd want another QB to emulate. If you are drafting a guy this year, sign a better bridge.

Robinson has 3 years of cheap, after that he's either on the 5th year option or an extension. And if you're going to downtalk London, that only puts them further away from real contention and the situation even less ideal for Wilson.

It made sense if Arthur Smith was still the coach and desperate to keep his job, but Morris just came in and has the most leeway he's going to get right now.
I feel like we’re either talking in circles or just some semantics stuff.

1. If they don’t want to get Wilson, who you keep focusing on, then sign Cousins but either way my point still remains. Signing a vet won’t prevent them from being able to draft or develop a Qb this year or next like your post was basically insinuating. My other point was seeing how they have talent on both sides of the ball and that the Division is winnable, if they can get stable Qb play, they can win that division.

Will they win the SB next year? No but nowhere in my posts did I ever mention that, I’m talking about next year and for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 7 years, they’ll take a Wild Card win over everything else they’ve done recently.

2. Again, they still have time with Robinson. Even with the 5th option, they still have another 4 years before they decide to either pay him big money, franchise tag him or let him walk.

With London, they can still address that position in the Draft/FA if he doesn’t start being more consistent and can remain healthy. Wasn’t downplaying him either btw, just said he’s been up and down since he got here. Or inconsistent because the signs are there with him but granted improved Qb play will help him out.

3. Morris has leeway but that doesn’t mean they’ll be content with another year like the last few have been. I live in Atlanta and most of the talk here from fans and around the team have been about getting back in the playoffs next year. From a roster standpoint, they’re in much better position now compared to when Smith got there when they were transitioning from the Matt Ryan years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2024, 12:40 PM   #292
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

For a 5th and 6th

Old 03-09-2024, 04:55 PM   #293
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

5th and 6th aren't too bad for the Browns imho.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Old 03-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #294
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
5th and 6th aren't too bad for the Browns imho.
I wonder how this is going to affect the asking price for Johnson now.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 03-09-2024, 05:23 PM   #295
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer5150
I wonder how this is going to affect the asking price for Johnson now.

I'd be surprised if they got a 3rd if they really wanted to move him.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 03:08 AM   #296
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I feel like we’re either talking in circles or just some semantics stuff.

1. If they don’t want to get Wilson, who you keep focusing on, then sign Cousins but either way my point still remains.

I'm focusing on Wilson because that was my original question: Who would be Wilson's suitors? I didn't see a good fit for him. Pittsburgh has been showing the most interest from what I've seen. That makes a certain degree of sense because Tomlin has an elite defense to pair with Wilson and is running out of time to right his own ship.

Quote:
Signing a vet won’t prevent them from being able to draft or develop a Qb this year or next like your post was basically insinuating.
My point is that, if they are going to draft and develop a QB they should pick a different QB to bridge/mentor him. Cousins would be a better (albeit FAR more expensive) option. I mean, I'd take Jimmy G over Wilson for that role tbh.

Quote:
My other point was seeing how they have talent on both sides of the ball and that the Division is winnable, if they can get stable Qb play, they can win that division.

Will they win the SB next year? No but nowhere in my posts did I ever mention that, I’m talking about next year and for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 7 years, they’ll take a Wild Card win over everything else they’ve done recently.

That's what the Colts attempted with the Rivers and Wentz moves, I just don't see it as a good long term plan. It's relying on their division continuing to be bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »