Home

Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49's blah blah 5 superbowls

This is a discussion on Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49's blah blah 5 superbowls within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2002, 03:07 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49\'s blah blah 5 superbowls

when it comes to football, the superbowl is the ultimate championship and the ultimate game. As a matter of fact, it is the ultimate, most popular, most anticipated single event in American sports history. Green Bay has 3 of those and Dallas and SF have 5. You cannot compare an AFL championship or 1926 NFL championship to a superbowl championship, just as you cannot compare a "federal" league championship to a World Series championship.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2002, 03:28 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

Athletes are better now than they were way back before the SuperBowls. That said, with the salary cap and expansion, teams in these days of parity are not as strong as they were just 10 years ago.

Practically every team is flawed in some way this year. But it is a wide open field, with so-called favorites eminently beatable.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:28 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 8

You're a complete freakin knucklehead. A championship is a championship. The NFL was the elite league back in that era, is it the Packers fault there weren't 32 teams back then? Do we now discount all the championships won by the teams in the NHL when ther were only 6 team? But what the hell do I know, I'm not a "real" football fan. By the way Mr. freakin Super Bowl historian, New England has played in three and the Raiders have won three.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:59 AM   #28
Pro

rdawsoniii's Arena

OVR: 5

OK...definitely my last post on this before heading to the Orange Bowl.

Tex...you say you never said records started over. Here is a direct quote from your first post:

" All records, stats, and championships are counted after the NFL merger."

Your ignorance is showing again. Also your lame assertion that NFL championships were not "true" championships before the merger/expansion. Just because another pro league was in existence DOES NOT mean an NFL title wasn't a "true" one. You can apply that same argument by saying The Super Bowl champs were not "true" champs because of the USFL, the WFL, XFL, or NFL Europe teams were not included. What about the NBA? Are their championships tainted? There are a lot of professional BB leagues around. And don't dismiss MLB by saying it was "different". The Negro League was professional...they had many players who could (and did) play in MLB. IT'S THE SAME THING.

Why can't you compare a championship before the merger/expansion to a Super Bowl? Huh? Just because there was no "Super Bowl" doesn't mean jack. The first Super Bowl wasn't even called the Super Bowl. It was the NFL-AFL Championship game. I guess the Packers win doesn't count by your standards, because it wasn't called the "Super Bowl." And by the way...the NFL and AFL did not merge until 1970. By your lofty standards, when should we start counting records?

Tex, you cannot discount championships, in any sport. As I stated before, you cannot say a title is not "true" because other leagues happened to be in existence. You can live in your little fantasy world and think what you want, but you are in the minority. And just because you wish/think/hope it doesn't make it true.

FACT: The winner of the Super Bowl is the NFL Champion. Prior to the Super Bowl, the winner of the NFL championship game was the NFL Champion.
FACT: Green Bay has 12 NFL Championships, and the Bears 9.

I'll side with the NFL over you, any day. You lose.

Bye now.

(oh, and by the way...you say the Federal and Negro League Championships were not considered "true" championships. You are obviously too young to remember this, but the AFL Championship was not considered "true" either! Read your history. Game, set and match!)
Old 12-29-2002, 01:27 PM   #29
Banned

who cares about a 1930 something championship man? Green Bay has won 3 super bowl championships. You cannot compare a pre-merger championship to a superbowl championship. Your reference to other pro sports leagues that exist now as compared to before the 70s is weak. I dont think anyone questions that the European league, Arena league, and XFL, are minor league football. You must be pretty ignorant to compare any of those leagues to the old AFL which actually merged with the NFL. I dont think the arena league or the european league could merge with the NFL. You like to compare baseball, well Do you care about the AAA champions as much as the World Series champions. The AAA champions are listed on MLB.com also, but like the European football league, or Arena league no one cares. Everyone knows that the European, and Arena leagues are minor league football. The AFL was not, and there were two champions every year until they merged. Like I said before, i dont doubt that the packers won some "championships" in the 20s, 30, 40s, and 50s but WHO CARES. I am talking about Super Bowl championships and the Packers have 3. The Cowboys and Niners have 5.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:35 PM   #30
Banned

I said the raiders have 2 or 3 if you will look at the post. The Patriots have been in three and I listed 2, but I didnt leave out any superbowl winners and I was doing this off of the top of my head anyways. Excuse me for leaving out one of NE's appearances. I doubt you could have remembered every team that has won a superbowl without looking at the records. This is a pro football message board, and i am not trying to be a "historian" I am talking about football which is what this board is for. if you cant post an opinion without taking everything personal and talking smack then you are obviously trying to make up for your lack of an ability to have an intelligent discussion. If you want to talk smack, then back it up and write something.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:39 PM   #31
Banned

the previous post was for LHayes. Also, Raider fan seems to talk the most smack as a whole, yet they have the lowest football IQ. Shut up hayes and go work on your stupid A darth vader shoulder pads. Be sure to put some spikes on them too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #32
Banned

LHayes, unlike you at least RDawson can back up his statements.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »