Home

Who is the coach of the year so far?

This is a discussion on Who is the coach of the year so far? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!
View Poll Results: COY?
Sean Payton 51 50.00%
Eric Mangini 29 28.43%
Andy Reid 5 4.90%
Jeff Fisher 14 13.73%
Other (Post) 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Who is the coach of the year so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Fisher, no doubt to me. Although he won't win. He's doing more with less than anyone. If he had Drew Brees, Colston, Bush, Joe Horn, etc. I think they'd be a playoff team as well.

Hell they almost are now.
What if he had Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer???

oops.

I say Mangini.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

Initially i was all for Sean Payton, but then i looked at the teams, Who wouldnt take the Saints roster over the Jets, especially on Offense. But you also have to look at the level of competition. The saints play in a much more competative schedule. The jets play in the 1 team AFC east and they also had four games against the NFC north and played a last place schedule taht included games against Houston, Tennese, and Cleveland. teh saints play in the much moer competative NFC south and played against arguably the best division in the NFC the nfc East. They had games against Pittsburgh, baltimore, and Cinncinati.

So both teams did good The saints played a much harder schedule, but are much more talented.

In a toss up ill pick Mangini because i can only name like 3-4 players on their team
Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I think its really down to Payton, Mangini and Ried. Fisher's done a great job but he coached in those 0-5 games too. Overall he's 8-7 which is still better than expected but not really all that great.

The Eagles were expected to finish last in the NFC East WITH McNabb. They lose McNabb and win the division. The Saints were god awful last year, and they did get a lot of big pieces that they didn't have last year but their the 2nd best team in the conference. That's a huge turnaround.

The Jets did the same with less additions but aren't really dominating in the tougher AFC like the Saints are in the NFC. Plus I think their schedule is easier also, so I voted for Payton, but Mangini wouldn't be a bad pick at all.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #20
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Mangini has done a great job, but the Jets have only beaten two winning teams this year I think - Titans and Pats, and the Titans are only just a recent winning team. I see them a little like I did the Jags last year. On the other hand, I think for a team brand new to the 3-4 which usually takes a few offseasons to get down, they've still done very well and it is no coincidence a guy like Mangini is behind it.

Payton has done a great job too, but I personally think the Saints 2005 season was not an accurate portrayal of that team. They weren't playoff worthy, but they were better than 3-13. On top of this, I think the NFC is a little crazy this year and I don't think their current record this season is a true reflection of how good a team they are - I think they're good, but not what i'd call normal #2 seed good. I think the gap between 05 and 06 is somewhat artificially enhanced due to unique circumstances. On the other hand, I watch a game like the Cowboys game and I see a team so intune with its gameplan it is scary, which Payton has to be credited for.

Fisher has done a great job turning the Titans around but if it were up to him, VY would probably still be on the bench (Bud Adams drafted him, Bud wanted him to start ASAP too). If Collins didn't play absolutely horribly to start and the Titans won a few of the 1st 5 weeks, VY probably wouldn't have started so soon and the winning streak which he has greatly contributed towards may not have started as early as it did. On the other hand though, the Titans have the toughest schedule in the NFL and I think Fisher has also played a huge role making sure VY isn't overwhelmed while the team isn't over dependant on their QB to do it for them.

Reid to me has done a similar job to Fisher but perhaps the best decision he made was getting Garcia as the backup, if it was his decision - Jeff to me has had a similar effect to VY for the Eagles. Perhaps given they are quite a talented team they shouldn't have been in a situation where fighting back was necessary in the first place, but they started strong and clearly had some injury issues to deal with mid season and Reid righting the ship can't be overlooked.

I'd like to think it depends on who makes the biggets playoff splash between the Jets, Eagles and Titans but I can't see any way Payton doesn't get the actual official accolade, it is too good a story to ignore.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #21
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Sean Payton. To take over a team that had the #2 pick in the draft, and make them the #2 seed in the conference in the playoffs right off the bat, is remarkable.
Thanks for stealing my post.

*points to my signature quote*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 AM   #22
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

Mangini... I can see Payton, but he does have alot more talent on his roster. The Jets have zero running game, a young line, a defense that had to learn a new scheme and was, at times, soft against the run, and a team that statistically looks like they should be in last place and still has them on the cusp of 10 wins and a playoff berth. That's a coaching job.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #23
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

I still don't buy that argument. The Jets are way more talented on defense than we are. Yes, we possess more weapons on offense, but still -- not to mention the roster turnover that Payton did when he came in.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #24
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
Mangini... I can see Payton, but he does have alot more talent on his roster. The Jets have zero running game, a young line, a defense that had to learn a new scheme and was, at times, soft against the run, and a team that statistically looks like they should be in last place and still has them on the cusp of 10 wins and a playoff berth. That's a coaching job.
Not necessarily... that's a weak schedule. As mentioned, the Jets are doing more with the defense and average fans don't know the names of defensive players until they've been established for a while... if at all.

You talk about the young players and players needing to adjust on the Jets. Did you forget that the key contributors of the Saints include Bush, Colston and Henderson... very young; or the main signal caller is brand new? Hell Payton's new so the entire team had to learn new schemes just like with the Jets.

Considering no one expected Bush, Colston, Henderson or Brees to be playing like they have, the Saints are only said to have more talent b/c the players have exceeded under him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »