Home

Who is the coach of the year so far?

This is a discussion on Who is the coach of the year so far? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!
View Poll Results: COY?
Sean Payton 51 50.00%
Eric Mangini 29 28.43%
Andy Reid 5 4.90%
Jeff Fisher 14 13.73%
Other (Post) 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #33
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Who is the coach of the year so far?

Sean Payton.

From second pick in the Draft, to a possible SB birth.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #34
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

All four of these coaches have done a tremendous job, this year. I voted for Payton, because NO has been so impressive this year. Of course the additions of Brees and Bush has helped a lot, but the team as a whole has looked far better and more consistent than anytime under Haslett.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #35
Rookie

TheDNA's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't see how you guys are bringing talent into it. Nobody even knew Marques Colston would turn out like he did, Joe Horns had his injury issues, and Reggie Bush took half a season to even start truly producing numbers. Payton brought in these guys and was a part in drafting a lot of those players. That's part of the job that the head coach has; how can you penalize him for that? He drafted Marques Colston. He drafted Reggie Bush. He helped bring in Drew Brees.

I mean it goes on and on. Whoever has the most talent is a ludicrous statement. Chemistry wins championships; not talent. Just look at the past SuperBowl winners... Those teams aren't "talent loaded" squads. They're playmakers that work well TOGETHER... Look at all the talent the Redskins had year in and year out; if talent had anything to do with successful coaching; the Redskins would have won almost every title this millenium.

The point is; Sean Payton took a team that was emotionally destroyed, took a team that nobody expected to even compete, took a team that finished almost dead last, and brought in guys he felt would help... Nobody even mentions is key additions of Hollis Thomas or Mark Simoneau. Both of those guys played huge roles for that defense at some point or another. These are moves he made...

Talent or no talent.

Sean Payton is hands down coach of the year.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #36
MVP

DrDoom77's Arena

OVR: 7

Tough vote this year, as there were great jobs done all around the league. My order would be:

1. Mangini
2. Payton (I feel Mangini has done almost as much with a lot less)
3. Fisher (The Titan turnaround wasn't all VY)

Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron, Marty Schottenheimer, and Brian Billick all deserve consideration as well.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #37
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I really don't understand how fisher and mangini got thrown into this debate when the titans probably won't make the playoffs and the jets played a weak schedule and really haven't show anything. I never knew that possibly going 8-8 was better than 10 or 11 wins.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I really don't understand how fisher and mangini got thrown into this debate when the titans probably won't make the playoffs and the jets played a weak schedule and really haven't show anything. I never knew that possibly going 8-8 was better than 10 or 11 wins.
If it was just based on best record, then they would just give it to whoever won the superbowl every year.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDNA
I don't see how you guys are bringing talent into it.

Well, I couldn't find an official definition for this award, but Wikipedia says:
"The NFL Coach of the Year Award is presented annually by various news and sports organizations to the NFL head coach who has done the most outstanding job of working with the talent he has at his disposal."
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I think Payton will win it just because it's the Saints and after everything the city has went through, but Mangina SHOULD win IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »