Home

Falcons fire Jim Mora

This is a discussion on Falcons fire Jim Mora within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #25
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Falcons fire Jim Mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagochill95
If your picked in the 1st Round, then you have talent in my books. However, talent doesn't make a good Football player. I never said the WR's were good because they're not. But they have to be talented if all these scouts nowadays had them going in the 1st Round. There's a difference between "talent" and just being a "good football player".
So your point is no one should say they don't have talent but it's ok to say they don't have many good football players on offense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #26
Rookie

janelly1810's Arena

OVR: 1

Man I blame Mora for the fact that he had a former offensive lineman as a WR coach. What kinda bull is that?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
Blank will want someone who'll make Vick a decent QB so he doesn't look like an idiot for the big *** contract he gave him.

Vick has to take some of the blame for the failure as well, but mora is cheaper.
When a team starts out 6-2 and ends 8-8 or 5-2 to 7-9, that's a failure at the coaching postion (The 11-5 year was coasting off of what Reeves established). His loyalty to his players and coaches were a liability. He was too close to his players and when times got tough he couldn't lay the hammer down. Same with his coordinators. When you give up a 50yd or more TD every game there's a problem. When your QB isn't allowed to audible there's a problem (especially when the playcalling is so predictable). Having said all that I still like Mora as coach and I wish him the best.

As for who i'd like to see:

Dan Reeves - not going to happen
Wade Phillips - not going to happen
Ken Whisenhunt
Cam Cameron
Norm Chow
Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #28
Rookie

chicagochill95's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
So your point is no one should say they don't have talent but it's ok to say they don't have many good football players on offense?
No.

First of all, the WR's would have talent if they're picked in the 1st Round. Talent is something you naturally have. You can't improve your talent. I would all 3 WR's have "talent". Like I said before, naturally having "talent" doesn't make a "good football player". With Ashley Lelie, he's been in 2 offensive systems and has been around 4-5 years, so he wouldn't be a good football player. As for Jenkins and White, the only coaching staff they've ever had was Jim Mora's. I think it's too early to say whether those 2 will be good football players. Yes, they dropped some balls which is a focus problem in my books. But other than that, were they bad because of the coaching staff and scheme? Maybe they would thrive under a different coaching staff? I would say we don't know yet if Jenkins and White could be good football players (hate using that word).

And the Falcons do have good football players on offense. Michael Vick, Alge Crumpler, Warrick Dunn, plus "talented" WR's who might/could be good football players (Jenkins & White), but don't know yet. Maybe part of the reason those 2 aren't good football players is because of the coaching staff.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Wouldn't you agree that talent or not, if they aren't good football players "yet" then that doesn't make for a solid offense "yet"? You're basically saying the team should've been better b/c they have players that should be good someday but we can't expect them to be good yet. Whether they will be good someday or not, the fact that they weren't good football players this year seriously crippled their offensive production. Not to mention there are many "talented" (based on your assumption that being drafted in the 1st round makes you talented) WRs that never become good football players, or never good enough. Guys like David Boston, Travis Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Charles Rogers. If they weren't good this year they weren't good. That's all that matters, not their resume.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #30
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
his father wasn't any good with the Saints and Colts.
Xrams um...Mora Sr. led a moribound Saints team to pretty good records and the playoffs. He had a good defensive team that was tough minded and did quite well for themselves. I will agree that his stint in Indy was a bit of a bust but I would't say he "wasn't any good".

As for Jr's firing, the writing was on the wall with the whole Washington fiasco. I think if Arthur Blank is smart he'd make a huge push to hire Norm Chow. He's done a fabulous job of giving a similar QB in Vince Young a stripped down offense that was tailored to his skillset. I think that's the exact same thing that needs to be done with Vick.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
his father wasn't any good with the Saints and Colts.
Xrams um...Mora Sr. led a moribound Saints team to pretty good records and the playoffs. He had a good defensive team that was tough minded and did quite well for themselves. I will agree that his stint in Indy was a bit of a bust but I would't say he "wasn't any good".
I make that statement with two things in mind SPTO... 1st being a 35yr rams fan... as sorry as the rams have always been the Mora led Saints rarely beat them.... yes the saints "D" has always been a thorn in the side of many a NFL team... Pat Swilling comes 1st to mind... but my angst is the fact that back in the day.. NFL coaches had 5 to 8 yr stints... it was the good old boy network when Mora Sr. was coaching( you could lose lose for yrs and still keep your job)... and in my estimation it was the good old boy (net at work) again with the hiring of Jim Jr... It was/is a well known fact at the time that Lovie Smith should have be the head coach for the falcons and he was passed over.... which was the 2nd problem I have with this whole situation... coupled with the fact the pundits are now trying to blame M. Vick for the firing which is the biggest copout... M. Vick only put the Falcons on the map by giving the owner A. Blank sell outs for the foreseeable future....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
As for Jr's firing, the writing was on the wall with the whole Washington fiasco. I think if Arthur Blank is smart he'd make a huge push to hire Norm Chow. He's done a fabulous job of giving a similar QB in Vince Young a stripped down offense that was tailored to his skillset. I think that's the exact same thing that needs to be done with Vick.
So once again M. Vick has to get used to yet another OC.. and new sys... I say make sure he stays in the pocket and get some Oline men so he won't have to run for his life...

Last edited by xrams; 01-02-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 10

Hoo-ray! I'm happy for Vick and the rest of the team...Now who is going to finally mentor Mexico? Martz, with his crapload of offense should get this team to start producing some offensive talent, but he's nto the type to mentor anybody in anything...maybe a good QB coach alongside with him would do the trick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »