Home

The New Official Michael Vick Thread

This is a discussion on The New Official Michael Vick Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #65
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The New Official Michael Vick Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdog
Yep. Starting QB for "The Mean Machine".
Not if he pleas to a year. He will be out before next football season with parole.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
question... since the NFL is a private business, do they have the legal right to refuse a person a chance to work for their company... i.e. just say Vick you're done?
In a very simplistic answer, the NFL can act the same way as any other private employer. However the collective bargaining agreement covers a lot of the issues surrounding employment, although as you may have gathered the CBA actually conflicts with itself in portions as it does with the standard player contract. If the NFL were to act severely and ban someone for life, the player automatically has the right to appeal and for it to be heard by a neutral party. Honestly, although I respect what Aholbert has said, I disagree with him, I really think the NFL would prevail if they banned him for life, if for no other reason than his association with gambling.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #67
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
They agree to these terms, I don't see where they have a good case to argue it shouldn't apply. The NFL should have a standing rule that anyone who is convicted or pleads guilty to a felony is automatically banned for life. Besides the legal issues, Vick is associating with known gamblers at the very least, and at the most he is running a gambling ring. When was the last time a player this connected to gambling wasn't banned for life or blackballed in some other way.
Paul Hornung played after he was suspended for gambling

Art Schlister played 2 more seasons after he was suspended for betting on football games,.

The question should be when was the last time a player connected to gambling WAS banned for life? Shoeless Joe? Pete Rose (he was a coach)?

No offense but that convicted of a felony/banned for life suggestion is ridiculous. Have you ever driven over 85 mph? Well if you have thats reckless driving in Maryland and considered a felony. Under that rule, there would be a ton of players banned from the league for mistakes made by everyday americans.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #68
Rookie

Bigmac612's Arena

OVR: 3

DOGFIGHTING - ILLEGAL

HUNTING(KILLING DEERS AND HANGING MOOSE HEADS ON THE WALL) - LEGAL

CAGEFIGHTING(WHEN ONE MAN IS KNOCKED OUT AND THE OTHER GUY JUST KEEPS PUNCHING HIM) - LEGAL

SOME CHINESE FOOD YALL EATING(THAT DAMN MIKE VICK KILLING DOGS BURN IN HELL!!!!, YUMMMMMM....DIS DOG LEG REALLY IS EXCELLENT,)

VICE PRESIDENT SHOOTS MAN - NOTHING EVER HAPPENED

UNITED STATES VS IRAQ OVER WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.........WAIT OIL..........WAIT NEVERMIND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR SOLDIERS ARE DYING

DOGFIGHTING IS WRONG AND MIKE VICK IS THE STUPIDEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD FOR PUTTING HIMSELF IN THIS SITUATION AND HE SHOULD GET NOMORE THAN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BECAUSE HES A FIRST TIME OFFENDER PLUS HE GAVE LIKE TEN THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO VTECT AFTER THE SHOOTING INCIDENT SO IM NOT GONNA SAY HES A BAD PERSON AND HE SHOULD GET RAPED IN JAIL BECAUSE THERE ARE FAR WORSER PEOPLE THE US SHOULD BE GOING AFTER THEN MIKE VICK FOR DOGFIGHTING
Old 08-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Paul Hornung played after he was suspended for gambling

Art Schlister played 2 more seasons after he was suspended for betting on football games,.

The question should be when was the last time a player connected to gambling WAS banned for life? Shoeless Joe? Pete Rose (he was a coach)?

No offense but that convicted of a felony/banned for life suggestion is ridiculous. Have you ever driven over 85 mph? Well if you have thats reckless driving in Maryland and considered a felony. Under that rule, there would be a ton of players banned from the league for mistakes made by everyday americans.
I wasn't thinking of reckless driving being a felony. Either way, if you are convicted or plead guilty to an offense the nature of what Vick is looking at, I think the NFL should be able to ban someone for life with no real questions asked. This commissioner is different than anything the NFL has seen when it comes to discipline, so I won't be shocked if he suspends Vick for life or multiple seasons. I know the NFLPA has the duty to stand behind the players, but I think we can both agree Vick is not the ideal test case to see how serious the NFL can be when it wants.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #70
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac612
DOGFIGHTING - ILLEGAL

HUNTING(KILLING DEERS AND HANGING MOOSE HEADS ON THE WALL) - LEGAL

CAGEFIGHTING(WHEN ONE MAN IS KNOCKED OUT AND THE OTHER GUY JUST KEEPS PUNCHING HIM) - LEGAL

SOME CHINESE FOOD YALL EATING(THAT DAMN MIKE VICK KILLING DOGS BURN IN HELL!!!!, YUMMMMMM....DIS DOG LEG REALLY IS EXCELLENT,)

VICE PRESIDENT SHOOTS MAN - NOTHING EVER HAPPENED

UNITED STATES VS IRAQ OVER WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.........WAIT OIL..........WAIT NEVERMIND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR SOLDIERS ARE DYING

DOGFIGHTING IS WRONG AND MIKE VICK IS THE STUPIDEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD FOR PUTTING HIMSELF IN THIS SITUATION AND HE SHOULD GET NOMORE THAN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BECAUSE HES A FIRST TIME OFFENDER PLUS HE GAVE LIKE TEN THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO VTECT AFTER THE SHOOTING INCIDENT SO IM NOT GONNA SAY HES A BAD PERSON AND HE SHOULD GET RAPED IN JAIL BECAUSE THERE ARE FAR WORSER PEOPLE THE US SHOULD BE GOING AFTER THEN MIKE VICK FOR DOGFIGHTING
Okay, I don't know where to begin.

First, don't use all caps in a post, that is highly frowned upon.

Second, you're on thin ice with posts such as this.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #71
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
In a very simplistic answer, the NFL can act the same way as any other private employer. However the collective bargaining agreement covers a lot of the issues surrounding employment, although as you may have gathered the CBA actually conflicts with itself in portions as it does with the standard player contract. If the NFL were to act severely and ban someone for life, the player automatically has the right to appeal and for it to be heard by a neutral party. Honestly, although I respect what Aholbert has said, I disagree with him, I really think the NFL would prevail if they banned him for life, if for no other reason than his association with gambling.
If Paul Hornung wasn't banned for life then Vick wouldn't either..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #72
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of reckless driving being a felony. Either way, if you are convicted or plead guilty to an offense the nature of what Vick is looking at, I think the NFL should be able to ban someone for life with no real questions asked. This commissioner is different than anything the NFL has seen when it comes to discipline, so I won't be shocked if he suspends Vick for life or multiple seasons. I know the NFLPA has the duty to stand behind the players, but I think we can both agree Vick is not the ideal test case to see how serious the NFL can be when it wants.
The NFLPA would never agree to that. No union in their right mind would. I dont think people realize how big of an affect this will have on the NFL. If Goodell oversteps his boundaries and tries to ban Vick (as bad as the crime is its his first offense) for life when precedent shows the NFL hasnt banned murderers for life, this threatens the new Conduct Code and the new CBA in 2010.

Right now the NFLPA is allowing Goodell to have free will with the Conduct Code because his punishments havent been unreasonable. I think many would argue that banning Vick for life over dogfighting would be a bit extreme and unreasonable. If Goodell gets power crazy, I could see the conduct code leading to a strike in 2010.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »