Home

Major TV problem looming immediately for the NFL

This is a discussion on Major TV problem looming immediately for the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Major TV problem looming immediately for the NFL

Bottom line: a product is worth what people will pay for it. People complain about $100 tickets to games, but if there are people that will pay that, then that's what it's worth. Free market at its finest.

The problem here is there is a mediator between the NFL and the fans. The cable companies want to pay $2 and charge another $8. The league wants to charge $5 to the cable companies.

That leaves the end user completely in waiting. And that hamstrings the NFL.

Like I said, this a major problem for the NFL right now that major games they have may go widely unwatched. (Of course, the local markets will carry these games on other channels, too)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
NBATV is a premium channel, why wouldn't NFL Network be?
That's just it. I have Time Warner here in KC and I do get NBATV on my extra package. I don't pay anything extra specifically for the channel, but it comes with the next tier above basic. What I don't understand is why NFL Network can't just be put on that tier. It's like that for Everest and Comcast, I don't understand why TWC can't do it.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #27
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
That's just it. I have Time Warner here in KC and I do get NBATV on my extra package. I don't pay anything extra specifically for the channel, but it comes with the next tier above basic. What I don't understand is why NFL Network can't just be put on that tier. It's like that for Everest and Comcast, I don't understand why TWC can't do it.
Because that's not what the nfl wants. And you do have to pay to watch the nbatv. The channel is there but you can't watch it without a subscription.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Because that's not what the nfl wants.
What is what the NFL wants? For people to pay extra for it? They do when they get the digital tier, that's my point. If that's not what you're saying, please explain.

I can't speak for other cities, but here in KC, both Comcast and Everest have the NFL Network on their digital tier. Why can't TWC do that?

I was just responding to him saying NBATV is a premium channel. NBATV is on my digital tier and I don't understand why TWC can't do the same with the NFL Network.

Quote:
And you do have to pay to watch the nbatv.
The channel is there but you can't watch it without a subscription.
As I said above, it's on my digital tier, always has been and I don't have to pay for a subscription to it. Unless you're counting the digital tier as a subscription, then yes, I pay for it.

Keep in mind, even within a cable company, programming is different in different cities. Some cities, the sports package includes things like FCS, Speed, ESPNEWS, CSTV and so on. Here I get Speed, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, NBA TV on my digital tier, but don't get FCS or CSTV. I have to get the Sports package to get those.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #29

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
What is what the NFL wants? For people to pay extra for it? They do when they get the digital tier, that's my point. If that's not what you're saying, please explain.

I can't speak for other cities, but here in KC, both Comcast and Everest have the NFL Network on their digital tier. Why can't TWC do that?

I was just responding to him saying NBATV is a premium channel. NBATV is on my digital tier and I don't understand why TWC can't do the same with the NFL Network.

As I said above, it's on my digital tier, always has been and I don't have to pay for a subscription to it. Unless you're counting the digital tier as a subscription, then yes, I pay for it.

Keep in mind, even within a cable company, programming is different in different cities. Some cities, the sports package includes things like FCS, Speed, ESPNEWS, CSTV and so on. Here I get Speed, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, NBA TV on my digital tier, but don't get FCS or CSTV. I have to get the Sports package to get those.
I have Time Warner cable and the channel is visible but you I can't watch it. You're paying extra for something or you got a deal because the nba channel is an extra charge normally. As far as I know what the NFL wants is the channel to be free like ESPN or something but Time Warner wants to have it like thee nba channel where you have to subscribe if you want it. Time Warner is having the same argument with the Big 10 network right now.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

Last edited by jmood88; 11-11-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

Quote:
You're paying extra for something or you got a deal because the nba channel is an extra charge normally.
I'm not paying extra, and I didn't get a deal.

Go to the TWC website and enter 66210 in the zip code. Click on programming and choose only the Digital and Digital PPV package. You'll see NBA TV shows up. It's part of the Digital sports package as well, but we also get it with the regular Digital package.

Last edited by Chaos81; 11-11-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #31

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
I'm not paying extra, and I didn't get a deal.

Go to the TWC website and enter 66210 in the zip code. Click on programming and choose only the Digital and Digital PPV package. You'll see NBA TV shows up. It's part of the Digital sports package as well, but we also get it with the regular Digital package.
Well then I don't know what's special with Kansas but I've had Time Warner in Columbus, Raleigh, and Wisconsin and we've never gotten nbatv.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

I get the NFL Channel, but my cable company won't air games. They claim it's too expensive to air games. The ironic part is, I pay extra for the NFL Channel since it's part of a package with ESPNHD, ESPN2HD and 2 HDNet channels.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »