Home

Wade Philipps is a goner... ?

This is a discussion on Wade Philipps is a goner... ? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Wade Philipps is a goner... ?

Jason Garrett was a member of the Cowboys' dynasty in the '90s. Jerry Jones has a particular fondness and loyalty to members of that group.

No wonder Jerry hired Garrett as offensive coordinator while the head coaching position was still vacant. That has got to be a first in the history of the NFL.

Fast forward to the end of this season. Who's going to be the hottest head coaching candidate in the NFL? None other than Mr. smarty-pants Ivy League himself, Jason Garrett. People know he's a brilliant football guy --- in all those years he was Troy Aikman's backup, everyone already had him pegged as a future coach.

Does Jerry Jones let his protege Jason Garrett walk, knowing that Wade Philipps isn't a long-term solution for the Cowboys? I think not.

It'll be a very awkward offseason in Dallas, for sure. The Cowboys will probably finish the year 13-3 or 12-4, and then win a few playoff games in the process. They'll likely be playing for the conference or league championship. Will they let go of the headcoach after a season like that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Wade Philipps is a goner... ?

Is this an actual story you read or just speculation?

Ask the Chargers if it is a good idea to make a coaching change after an insanely successful regular season.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
Is this an actual story you read or just speculation?

Ask the Chargers if it is a good idea to make a coaching change after an insanely successful regular season.
Exactly.

Also they will just give him a contract like the Redskins gave G. Williams a few years back. A lot of money ( and you know Jerry has it to give away ) plus a stipulation in the contract that says Garrett will be the next head coach of the Cowboys.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Yeah, I agree with Aggies - if he wants to be their next HC, there is no rush really, I think he'd happily stay on until his time and Jones would pay for it. Of course he could be too ambitious and jump at the first HC job he is offered as well but something tells me he'd stay on.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

How much fondness does Jerry have for a player that never saw the field?
Garrett will the the OC for a few more years, he is very young and then take over for Wade.
It will not happen next year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Of course he could be too ambitious and jump at the first HC job he is offered as well but something tells me he'd stay on.

If you look at Garrett's personality, you would at least assume he has patience. I mean how long did he stay as Aikman's backup. I dont think he has any problem not being the "center of attention"

I think he loves the Cowboys and I am sure Jerry will do everything in his power to keep Garrett around for him to be the next head coach after Wade.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

I have heard the Bears' faithful are already talking about Garrett. However, I have heard that Jerry has a wink-wink agreement with Garrett that he will be the head coach when they take the field in the new stadium in 2009.

If they win two Super Bowls, it'd be hard to fire Wade. But that ain't gonna happen.

I see Garrett being the guy for years once he's in there.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
If you look at Garrett's personality, you would at least assume he has patience. I mean how long did he stay as Aikman's backup.
Slow down. He was "patient" because he wasn't a good quarterback and had no choice. Was he patient behind Kerry Collins, too, in New York?

Plus, he's from New Jersey. The Giants job would intrigue him, as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »