Home

Steelers @ Patriots

This is a discussion on Steelers @ Patriots within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Steelers @ Patriots

Seems Anthony Smith may be writing a check his *** cant cash

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Defensive back Anthony Smith is so certain the Pittsburgh Steelers will end the New England Patriots' unbeaten season, he is guaranteeing a win Sunday in Foxborough.

The Patriots (12-0) may have the perfect record, Smith said Wednesday, but it should be New England that is worried about the Steelers (9-3) rather than the other way around.

"People keep asking me if we're ready for the Patriots," Smith said. "They should be asking if they're ready for us."
Is Smith so confident that he is willing to copy one of former Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter's familiar motivational ploys by guaranteeing the Steelers will win? "We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

"We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

Despite Smith's abundant optimism, no other Steelers are designating Sunday as guaranteed win day. Linebacker James Farrior, cautioning that Smith hasn't been in the NFL long and may not realize what he is saying, doesn't think the Patriots will pay any attention.

Smith, a third-round pick from Syracuse in 2006, became the starter at free safety only after Ryan Clark needed spleen surgery in late October.

"He better keep his mouth shut," Farrior said, though he was laughing and wasn't angry at his teammate. "Oh well, I guess we've got to go deal with that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel doubts Smith's words will have any impact, even if the Steelers might have been better off not giving an exceptional team like New England any bulletin-board material.

"I think a lot of us in here feel like this is one of those games where we really don't have that much to lose," Keisel said. "If we win the game, well, we weren't supposed to win, and if we lose the game, we were supposed to lose. They're this big, great team that no one can touch."

The Steelers stopped the Patriots' record 21-game winning streak in 2004, but they have dropped five of six to New England since 1997 — with two losses in AFC championship games.

Still, Smith is convinced there are multiple reasons why the Steelers will be the team that makes certain New England doesn't become the first NFL team to sweep a 16-game schedule.

Pittsburgh's defense has allowed the fewest points and yards in the NFL and, Smith said, "We don't expect that to change."

Also, he said, the Steelers are more physical than any team New England has faced and are so balanced offensively, the Patriots can't stop both Willie Parker's running and Ben Roethlisberger's throwing.

If the Patriots thought the Ravens were physical Monday night when New England was forced to stage a desperation rally to win 27-24 in the final minute, Smith said, wait until they meet up with Pittsburgh.

"They say they played their toughest game last week against Baltimore, but I think we play harder than Baltimore," Smith said. "They're going to be in for it again this week. They're going to have a tough week in front of them."

Smith isn't worried his words might give the Patriots a motivational kick during a tough week in which the Patriots are playing two physical AFC North teams in a seven-day span. Or that his own teammates will dislike what he is saying.

"They will back me up," Smith said. "Everyone has the same attitude anyway, so it's not like it's a big thing."

If Smith didn't give the Patriots enough hey-look-at-this material, here's this nugget for the Patriots' receiving corps: Smith said they may have Randy Moss, but Cincinnati — not New England — has the league's best wide receivers.
"They've got Walker and Moss," Smith said, referring to Patriots receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss. "But they're not like Cincinnati."

The Steelers shut down the Bengals' passing game during a 24-10 victory Sunday night, limiting star receiver Chad Johnson to six harmless catches. Carson Palmer completed only 38.6 percent of his passes (17-of-44) and was 11-of-37 (29.7 percent) after Cincinnati's opening drive.

Keisel could only laugh after hearing Smith's comments, saying, "Maybe I should start (guaranteeing games)."

Will he begin doing that next week, when the Steelers play the Jacksonville Jaguars (8-4)?
"Maybe the week after that," he said

Do like the that he doesnt even know welkers name
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Time to End pats dream Steelers @ Pats

Your Steeler's are lucky that the Pats are one dimentional. If they had a running game like last year. It would be over for everyone.

P.s Brady's on my franchise team... So, you know.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
Your Steeler's are lucky that the Pats are one dimentional. If they had a running game like last year. It would be over for everyone.

P.s Brady's on my franchise team... So, you know.
That will all change next year, thanks to the 9ers. The Pats will pick up D-Mac and will proceed to go undefeated for the next three years.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

Yeah, I doubt the Patriots pay much attention to Smith's comments. Nothing wrong with thinking they'll win. It's certainly better than going into the game thinking "Hey, lets keep it close." They've got just a good of a chance of winning as we do.

Been looking to this game for a long time. It's always fun when the Pats and Steelers get together because alot tends to be on the line. Not to mention, we've got some great Pittsburgh fans to chat it up with on OS.

Weather should be mostly cloudy and in the mid to upper 30s. I'm sure the Steelers will take that after their field conditions the last two weeks. Hopefully there won't be any wind to affect our passing game.

As far as the game goes, I really don't know what to expect. It's a huge game for both teams as the Steelers are fighting for that first round bye. Patriots clinch a bye with a win, HFA with win/Colts loss.

Per NFL.com, the Patriots rank first in average points scored (39.1), total yards (425.3), touchdowns (61) and passing yards (304.0), while the Steelers rank first in points allowed (12.9), total yards allowed (230.8), touchdowns allowed (17) and passing yards allowed (154.0). Something has to give. What a matchup though.

Biggest problem we'll face is trying to stop Parker. If the Steelers stick with just giving the ball to Parker over and over again, they'll be in this game to the end, no question.

I think the key to a Pats victory besides stopping the run is actually getting our run game going. We need Maroney to start hitting the holes harder and not dance so much. If we can begin the game running well, that should open the passing game. We'll need all that we can against that stingy pass D. If we can't get it going, it could be a long day. Hopefully Faulk continues to run well (which has baffled the hell out of me)

Either way, this game should be fun. About damn time we don't have a SNF or MNF game. Good luck Karlos, joeboo ( ), LetsGoPitt, etc.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
That will all change next year, thanks to the 9ers. The Pats will pick up D-Mac and will proceed to go undefeated for the next three years.
Haha yes. Finally, Belichick can have a back to implement the HB pass so Brady can not only pass for 4,000 yards but also catch 1,000 yards.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I think the Steelers have the best shot at this moment to beat the Pats. If you look at the last two opponents they used a pressure defense that kept New England somewhat at bay. It should be a really good game IMO.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9

I agree you pressure brady we can win, but we are struggling getting any pass rush at all.

Willie has really slipped of late, so not real confident in him need Najeh to stay out of club fights and get back on field.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 18

Pressuring Brady has not been the formula for the Pats having tough games, as you see Brady handles pressure just fine. It is the secondary of the other team being allowed to rough up and literally play on the fringe of illegal defense(in regards to pass interference) that will make the difference.

What has been happening is that both the eagles and the ravens (much more noticable with the ravens) were literally holding and impeding the progress of the receivers while they were attempting to get off of the line or run their routes, this gives the defensive line and or blitzing players time to get to Brady because he has to hold the ball longer. I noticed that Brady won't crack under the pressure because he is just built that way. But to watch the ravens literally beat up Welker and cheap shot Moss was crazy.

So the game is going to depend on how rough the refs allow the Pittsburgh secondary to play, and on if the Pats get a lead or not, because if they get a lead and the steelers have to play catch up, the steelers definitely won't win. Should be a good game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »