Home

Bears QB Situation + their other problems

This is a discussion on Bears QB Situation + their other problems within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #25
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Bears QB Situation + their other problems

What I don't know (don't follow the bears enough) is what's the difference with this year's line? I know what's happened on D but have there been a lot of injuries?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
What I don't know (don't follow the bears enough) is what's the difference with this year's line? I know what's happened on D but have there been a lot of injuries?
Age. It really is age. And there's NOTHING in the pipeline. This has been neglected for years. Our best Olineman has been Ruben Brown. Kreutz had been on the decline for years, but he's a sacred cow in Chicago. Everyone bitched about Rex dropping snaps.....then Griese did....then Orton even did it. Hey....maybe it's Center?

Either way he's not near what he used to be. Garza is a backup at best, Fred Miller is the worst Olineman in the history of the game. Tait is really a RT playing out of position, but he's no spring chicken either. We're supposed to be a physical team, yet we're not physical on the line.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I hope they don't let the public outcry influence things then. It'd be a REALLY bad move to get a QB in the first round... let alone spending a ton on a RB. They do need help at WR but they really need to fix that oline. I saw it first hand myself a few years ago. When a decent team all of a sudden can't run OR pass, it's clear where the finger should be pointed.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
I hope they don't let the public outcry influence things then. It'd be a REALLY bad move to get a QB in the first round... let alone spending a ton on a RB. They do need help at WR but they really need to fix that oline. I saw it first hand myself a few years ago. When a decent team all of a sudden can't run OR pass, it's clear where the finger should be pointed.
I believe that we should get a QB in the first round, namely Matt Ryan, BUT if you don't get an O.C. who can groom him and give him an opportunity to be successful then drafting a QB is useless. Of course, he's not going to start next year but I feel we can sign a veteran to fill in and take the beating while the Bears repair their OL, RB's and WR's.

BUT the O.C. is a must BEFORE ANYTHING!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
I believe that we should get a QB in the first round, namely Matt Ryan, BUT if you don't get an O.C. who can groom him and give him an opportunity to be successful then drafting a QB is useless. Of course, he's not going to start next year but I feel we can sign a veteran to fill in and take the beating while the Bears repair their OL, RB's and WR's.

BUT the O.C. is a must BEFORE ANYTHING!
That's the problem (same with my team). Some may point to Cleveland as an example of how it could work but they've actually been working on their Oline for years. Last year they would've had a decent Oline but had two pretty big injuries early. This year they've had one of the better olines so they could afford to sit their QB (adding Jamal didn't hurt either). Keep in mind, Cleveland didn't draft a QB in the first round either... Quinn was a 2nd round pick. They drafted a LT in the first round.

The other big difference between CHI (and BAL) and CLE is that the fans expect to erase this season from memory and be back in the playoff hunt next year. The bears have too many holes to have a 1st round pick sit on the bench for a year. They draft Ryan or someone else in the first round and chances are, they will be pressured to start them by midseason... and they'd probably be considered a bust before 09. Unless they're going to commit to completely rebuilding next year, they need to focus on winning with running and D like they have in the recent past and looking for the franchise QB once they get that straight.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #30
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
That's the problem (same with my team). Some may point to Cleveland as an example of how it could work but they've actually been working on their Oline for years. Last year they would've had a decent Oline but had two pretty big injuries early. This year they've had one of the better olines so they could afford to sit their QB (adding Jamal didn't hurt either). Keep in mind, Cleveland didn't draft a QB in the first round either... Quinn was a 2nd round pick. They drafted a LT in the first round.

The other big difference between CHI (and BAL) and CLE is that the fans expect to erase this season from memory and be back in the playoff hunt next year. The bears have too many holes to have a 1st round pick sit on the bench for a year. They draft Ryan or someone else in the first round and chances are, they will be pressured to start them by midseason... and they'd probably be considered a bust before 09. Unless they're going to commit to completely rebuilding next year, they need to focus on winning with running and D like they have in the recent past and looking for the franchise QB once they get that straight.
And that's what the Bears should do next year...rebuild. With all the holes the Bears have we'd just be foolling ourselves if you think we can just sign a couple of guys here and there to take care of our issues and be competative. Like you said, there are too many holes in this team. So just tear it down and start fresh. So from a player personel standpoint, start with the QB and work your way down.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #31
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I don't agree with that though. You may be right that they NEED to blow it up and start over if they want to have SB contenders every year say 3 or 4 years down the road. But they aren't BAD enough right now to have the fans accept that idea. A healthy Bears D and an improvement on the Oline and they are challenging for the division title and definitely in the playoffs... and that's with the team as it is right now.

Even still, if you're going to start from scratch, it's still more important to have a stud LT than a rookie QB with stud potential. I think for ANY team, if you need an LT and there's a stud out there, he's the first pick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

Quote:
I don't agree with that though. You may be right that they NEED to blow it up and start over if they want to have SB contenders every year say 3 or 4 years down the road. But they aren't BAD enough right now to have the fans accept that idea. A healthy Bears D and an improvement on the Oline and they are challenging for the division title and definitely in the playoffs... and that's with the team as it is right now.

Even still, if you're going to start from scratch, it's still more important to have a stud LT than a rookie QB with stud potential. I think for ANY team, if you need an LT and there's a stud out there, he's the first pick.
Yep. There is no "blowin up" of this team. Especially if you've seen some of the deals they signed. The D-Line is still young, and talented, just injured. If they re-sign Briggs, and that's a big IF, they are decent at LB, and with a good safety added, they already have solid starting corners.

Offense...you need a line. Getting a young QB would be a waste and he'd get killed. I haven't even looked at F/A as far as Oline goes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »