Home

Seems to be forgotten apparently...

This is a discussion on Seems to be forgotten apparently... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Seems to be forgotten apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
One, you do realize they did in fact score more than 2 FG's against the Jets? Two, you do realize the conditions that game was played in? Did you even watch the game?
Do you mean besides that 6 yard touchdown drive when they blocked that punt? Because other than that 6 yard drive, they scored 2 FGs for the rest of the game.

Quote:
Two questions for you. One, who do you think is the best offense in the history of the game? And I'll ask this again. If this years Steelers team scored over 600 points total, you wouldn't consider them one of the best offenses in the history of the game because they only scored 3 points in that game against Miami?
Not sure. Id have to look at it more. But off the top the top of my head there are two I can think of who were better and both were from 1998. I would consider both the 1998 Vikings and the 1998 Broncos to be better offenses than the 2007 Patriots. The Vikings scored more points but Denver scored over 500 points as a run first team. Also, Id consider the 83 Redskins.

Quote:

I realize you will never acknowledge that this offense is one of the best ever, so I'm really not sure why I'm even responding to you. Must be boredom on my part.
See, youre wrong. I dont have a problem saying its "one of the best" but I would definitely say its not "the best". Theres a distinction.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Do you mean besides that 6 yard touchdown drive when they blocked that punt? Because other than that 6 yard drive, they scored 2 FGs for the rest of the game.

Not sure. Id have to look at it more. But off the top the top of my head there are two I can think of who were better and both were from 1998. I would consider both the 1998 Vikings and the 1998 Broncos to be better offenses than the 2007 Patriots. The Vikings scored more points but Denver scored over 500 points as a run first team. Also, Id consider the 83 Redskins.

See, youre wrong. I dont have a problem saying its "one of the best" but I would definitely say its not "the best". Theres a distinction.
They are going to break just about every offensive record in the NFL. They are also going to go undefeated.

What else do they have to do to be "the best" in your opinion?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eights
They are going to break just about every offensive record in the NFL. They are also going to go undefeated.

What else do they have to do to be "the best" in your opinion?
Ive already elaborated on that. Are you oblivious or dumb?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Thanks. Now that you've told us that, why are those offenses better?

And you still didn't answer my second question.

Quote:
So if you don't have a problem saying it, why did you say the following? "If Im going to look at best offenses in history, Im going to look for a team that could do better than two FGs against teams like the Jets."

Quote:
So a team could average 75 points per game, but if they only scored 2 FG's against a lower team, even if they win, they aren't one of the best offenses in history? That's just comical.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
So the 1983 Redskins are the best offensive team, when they had...

* Two losses (three counting SB)
* Seven games with under 30 points

So the 1998 Vikings are the best offensive team, when they had...

* One loss (two counting Championship game)
* Six games with under 30 points

So the 1998 Broncos are the best offensive team, when they had...

* Two losses
* Seven games with under 30 points (one with under 20)

But the 2007 New England Patriots aren't the best offensive team, when they had...

* Zero losses
* Four games with under 30 points
* About to break about every offensive record known to man.

Great logic, huh.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Yep.

Thanks. Now that you've told us that, why are those offenses better?

And you still didn't answer my second question.
I think its pretty obvous that neither of those teams laid an egg during the year the way NEs offense did against the lowly Jets. Here is Minnesotas schedule that year:

Their lowest point output was 24.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/re...Teams/1998-min

Jake Reed, Cris Carter and a younger Randy Moss. Oh, and also Robert Smith.

That Denver team could run on any one and did. Terrell Davis had 2008 yards in the equivalent of 14 games. Plus you had John Elway back there keeping the defense honest. The end result was a team that averaged over 31 points a game as a run first team (a running team uses up more of the clock than a passing team and actually puts more pressure on the other team to score since it compresses their TOP). Plus, in addition to that that Denver team continued its streak of having a 100 yard rusher which began the year before.

What was your 2nd question?

Quote:
So if you don't have a problem saying it, why did you say the following? "If Im going to look at best offenses in history, Im going to look for a team that could do better than two FGs against teams like the Jets."
Because I already had some rough idea at the time I wrote that. For example, I seemed to remember on a previous occasion seeing that that Vikings team never had less than 20 something points in a game. There were details I was somewhat familiar with regardin both teams that I wasnt 100% on still. And the reason I was somewhat specific off the top my head is because I think you really have to be somewhat balanced to be considered the best offense ever. The Pats are pass happy and it bit them in the a$$ in the Jets game.

Quote:
So a team could average 75 points per game, but if they only scored 2 FG's against a lower team, even if they win, they aren't one of the best offenses in history? That's just comical.
Yeah(regarding "the best"), pretty much because it says they pour it on sometimes but other times they kind of run in place.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eights
So the 1983 Redskins are the best offensive team, when they had...

* Two losses (three counting SB)
* Seven games with under 30 points

So the 1998 Vikings are the best offensive team, when they had...

* One loss (two counting Championship game)
* Six games with under 30 points

So the 1998 Broncos are the best offensive team, when they had...

* Two losses
* Seven games with under 30 points (one with under 20)

But the 2007 New England Patriots aren't the best offensive team, when they had...

* Zero losses
* Four games with under 30 points
* About to break about every offensive record known to man.

Great logic, huh.
I said Id have to look at them more. I honestly havent had a chance to drill down into what they did. I am aware however that this was a 500 point team that ran the ball a lot. But same thing applies. If the offense stagnates against a bottom-feeder team like the Jets this year, and they only can generate 6 points, it would be hard for me to consider them "the best" ever.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #40
Banned

???

5926 total offensive yards through 15 games
19 Turnovers (1 in week 17)

???

5581 total offensive yards through 15 games
19 Turnovers (1 in week 16)

???

5856 total offensive yards through 15 games
14 Turnovers (4 in week 16)

???

6308 total offensive yards through 15 games
10 Turnovers

I will let you choose which one you think is the Patriots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »