Home

Do we disregard the history of the NFL too much?

This is a discussion on Do we disregard the history of the NFL too much? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Do we disregard the history of the NFL too much?

I'll tell you why the pre-SB era players don't get much pub by fans is because of the simple fact that the golden age of the NFL is not pre 1967. If you notice with baseball folks while that game is a lot more geared towards its history fans still don't go on talking about the players in the 1910s and earlier. Baseball's golden age began when Ruth was traded to the Yankees and thus is how baseball has kept its history alive.

The NFL's golden age occurred sometime in the mid 60s and possibly a little earlier as Lombardi's exploits with the Packers pre SB are still talked about a lot. Since then the NFL has done a very good job of maintaining its history with NFL Films and the league does still honor some of its greats even if it doesn't translate to the Joe Blow fan appreciating said history.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 32

Yes, I think the NFL does a poor job promoting their history. When was the last time we seen a football game from the 50's. Football is football and the game haven't changed as much as we like to think.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I'll tell you why the pre-SB era players don't get much pub by fans is because of the simple fact that the golden age of the NFL is not pre 1967. If you notice with baseball folks while that game is a lot more geared towards its history fans still don't go on talking about the players in the 1910s and earlier. Baseball's golden age began when Ruth was traded to the Yankees and thus is how baseball has kept its history alive.

The NFL's golden age occurred sometime in the mid 60s and possibly a little earlier as Lombardi's exploits with the Packers pre SB are still talked about a lot. Since then the NFL has done a very good job of maintaining its history with NFL Films and the league does still honor some of its greats even if it doesn't translate to the Joe Blow fan appreciating said history.

What would you consider footballs golden age... Im thinking the 80s. look at teh legends from that era...

And that in itself is very telling of why the 50s etc are not seen as such a great time these days. Isnt Otto Grahms career passer rating like 50 somthing?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
The NFL was a much tougher game back then too. People like to think today's player is superior because they weight train all year, have access to performance enhancing drugs, and they don't' have to work real jobs in the off season.

But back then football players had to fight for every penny. They also didn't have the rules that protect all the players today. If today's offensive player played in yesterdays rules they'd be scared to take the field. It's just a different world now. It's way to hard to compare stats.

And stats are really the only thing anyone has to go by, because most people don't go past stats when evaluating today's players, let along those from 50 years ago.

Like soldier mentioned, unless you're 50+ and have seen the different eras, you don't have a real perspective, and can't really be objective.
Good post. I think people are quick to discount past era players (really before 1980) and assume that they are completely inferior, just looking at heights, weights, and stats.

The game was so much more brutal then, it's hard to farily compare anything.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #21
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
Good post. I think people are quick to discount past era players (really before 1980) and assume that they are completely inferior, just looking at heights, weights, and stats.

The game was so much more brutal then, it's hard to farily compare anything.
You know why games are less brutal now? We have 6'4 275 pound defensive ends who can run 4.5's. You had to cut out some of the brutality or we would have a dead football player by now. It's going to happen soon I imagine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
You know why games are less brutal now? We have 6'4 275 pound defensive ends who can run 4.5's. You had to cut out some of the brutality or we would have a dead football player by now. It's going to happen soon I imagine.
And receivers that can run up and down the field w/out fearing for their lives. Used to be you could facemask, clothesline, chop block, do whatever it took.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
I think the real change is in the secondary. I'm not talking about the brutality on the QB, I'm thinking more of the legal mugging that took place on all of the pasing plays. The secondary size and speed hasn't changed too drastically, but the hitting and ability to beat on the WR's all day long certainly has.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 AM   #24
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
What would you consider footballs golden age... Im thinking the 80s. look at teh legends from that era...

And that in itself is very telling of why the 50s etc are not seen as such a great time these days. Isnt Otto Grahms career passer rating like 50 somthing?
1. To answer your question the golden age is about 1972 to 1994
2. The passer rating stat is not a very good measuring stick. Back in the day coaches weren't as conservative and went with a longer passing game rather then the 5-6 yard completion for a high %. You can sorta blame that on Bill Walsh.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »