Home

Javon Walker Wants Out... Again

This is a discussion on Javon Walker Wants Out... Again within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 6
Lightbulb Re: Javon Walker Wants Out... Again

he can come to a young titans team that has no number 1.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Javon Walker Wants Out... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Im not so sure its winning as much as its taking a back seat to Marshall due in large part to him being injured. It wasnt Walkers fault but when he was, he didnt even have to leave the door open...Marshall came bursting through.

BTW, there is also a little bit of a backdrop here that with what happened the night of Darrent Williams getting killed that involved Marshall.

Didnt see this posted but there is a clip of him in this interview and some think that what he said isnt as bad in the video:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Click audio/video and select Monday:J Walker
Thanks for the link. I really don't see how Darrent Williams' death is affecting Walker's thinking. But the video does show he wasn't pouting as much as initial reports made it out to be. He still sounds like he's upset about touches, he just doesn't want to admit it. I don't think he would want to leave just because of the style of offense.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Thanks for the link. I really don't see how Darrent Williams' death is affecting Walker's thinking. But the video does show he wasn't pouting as much as initial reports made it out to be. He still sounds like he's upset about touches, he just doesn't want to admit it. I don't think he would want to leave just because of the style of offense.
A lot of people think it has more to do with Denver asking him to rework his contract. This question was never asked. But a week or so ago he said he's not reworking his deal. Notice how he kept emphasizing that he can still play. Ive also heard that there is an issue with a bonus he may not be getting. The only reason he isnt trashing Denver more is because there is a chance he may end up staying in Denver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #52
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I guess it's all about semantics.

Walker started airing dirty laundry to the media about the Packers organization. I feel then, if he started it, then he should be prepared for the backlash with teammates, management, media and the fans.

It cuts both ways for me.
Yeah, I agree, but J0nnD0ugh explained pretty much exactly how I feel better than I have.

Quote:
I agree its wrong both ways. But I think its worse for a player to speak out on management's side. At its core, you are both in the same situation. Would Favre want Walker to do the same thing if the situations were reversed? Course not.

Again, that has nothing to do w/Walker's present situation. The guy went through alot to get his present contract & now he wants to walk away. He's doing more damage to himself than Favre did by speaking his opinion.
Things can be read different ways too. I don't remember seeing video and don't remember exactly what Walker said. I actually only remember Favre speaking on it in front of the camera. I think that's part of why I think he was wrong. It is possible Walker did speak is piece in a way that warranted reactions from anyone, including Favre. I just don't remember it that way.

Just like in this case, he could just be looking to leave b/c he wants touches or wants to star on a winning team (doubt that one b/c healthy, there's no reason not to think Denver can be right back in things next year). But it could be that he wants to leave the area b/c of Williams. He's not from Denver and his short time there consists of injury keeping him from doing his job and a very traumatic event. He may have just been saying, "I won't feel too bad about NEEDING to leave this area b/c Marshall has stepped up and I know I won't be screwing them. They'll be ok."

Probably should wait until this unfolds a bit more.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Yeah, I agree, but J0nnD0ugh explained pretty much exactly how I feel better than I have.

Things can be read different ways too. I don't remember seeing video and don't remember exactly what Walker said. I actually only remember Favre speaking on it in front of the camera. I think that's part of why I think he was wrong. It is possible Walker did speak is piece in a way that warranted reactions from anyone, including Favre. I just don't remember it that way.

Just like in this case, he could just be looking to leave b/c he wants touches or wants to star on a winning team (doubt that one b/c healthy, there's no reason not to think Denver can be right back in things next year). But it could be that he wants to leave the area b/c of Williams. He's not from Denver and his short time there consists of injury keeping him from doing his job and a very traumatic event. He may have just been saying, "I won't feel too bad about NEEDING to leave this area b/c Marshall has stepped up and I know I won't be screwing them. They'll be ok."

Probably should wait until this unfolds a bit more.
I don't remember Walker saying anything that warranted Favre jumping in w/his 2 cents. Favre basically said Javon was holding up progress by holding out & needed to get to camp. Would Brett have appreciated it if Walker said Favre was holding the Pack hostage by taking forever to decide to comeback or retire? Each player has to handle his own buisness. If you're not going to support each other, don't hinder each other.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #54
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I don't remember Walker saying anything that warranted Favre jumping in w/his 2 cents. Favre basically said Javon was holding up progress by holding out & needed to get to camp. Would Brett have appreciated it if Walker said Favre was holding the Pack hostage by taking forever to decide to comeback or retire? Each player has to handle his own buisness. If you're not going to support each other, don't hinder each other.
Maybe it's different where you live, but Green Bay has about 100,000 people. It's a team that's owned by the public, not some Jerry Jones. If a high profile player does threaten to hold out, it's everybody's business in Green Bay and Wisconsin. Twelve shareholders approached the Packers President after a meeting and told him not to cave into Walkers demands. It may not sound right in everyone else's world, but it's different in Green Bay. A Packer player can't step outside of Lambeau in Green Bay and not be recognized. I'll never forget seeing Gilbert Brown and Sean Jones at a mall in Milwaukee around Christmas time. Some little 8 year old wouldn't let Gilbert alone.

So, in Green Bay, if a high profile player threatens a hold out, being owned by the public, the public, media, and teammates will air it out in Green Bay. The fans, media, and some players get on Favre's case for taking his time with retirement. This year, that wasn't a factor.

When Walker entered camp, he had to mend the fences with teammates, including Favre.

Favre hasn't publicly demanded that players retract their statements in the past regarding his retirement plans.

Last edited by roadman; 01-01-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #55
MVP

nickb's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Don't want him, don't need him.
Ditto...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe it's different where you live, but Green Bay has about 100,000 people. It's a team that's owned by the public, not some Jerry Jones. If a high profile player does threaten to hold out, it's everybody's business in Green Bay and Wisconsin. Twelve shareholders approached the Packers President after a meeting and told him not to cave into Walkers demands. It may not sound right in everyone else's world, but it's different in Green Bay. A Packer player can't step outside of Lambeau in Green Bay and not be recognized. I'll never forget seeing Gilbert Brown and Sean Jones at a mall in Milwaukee around Christmas time. Some little 8 year old wouldn't let Gilbert alone.

So, in Green Bay, if a high profile player threatens a hold out, being owned by the public, the public, media, and teammates will air it out in Green Bay. The fans, media, and some players get on Favre's case for taking his time with retirement. This year, that wasn't a factor.

When Walker entered camp, he had to mend the fences with teammates, including Favre.

Favre hasn't publicly demanded that players retract their statements in the past regarding his retirement plans.
What's different? Just because the team is owned by stockholders & not one man, its still player vs management. It's still none of Favre's buisness. It may be of concern for Favre. But its none of his buisness. It doesn't change one iota that it takes place in Green Bay, New York, Tokyo or Timbuktu.

It was the buisness of the stockholders. They are management. Its nothing unusual for fans & media to comment. That's sport. But for a teammate to throw himself in between a financial dispute that he has zero stake in is wrong.

And I don't know if Walker had to "mend fences" w/teammates, but he shouldn't have. Favre should have apologized to Walker.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »