Home

Javon Walker Wants Out... Again

This is a discussion on Javon Walker Wants Out... Again within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Javon Walker Wants Out... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
What's different? Just because the team is owned by stockholders & not one man, its still player vs management. It's still none of Favre's buisness. It may be of concern for Favre. But its none of his buisness. It doesn't change one iota that it takes place in Green Bay, New York, Tokyo or Timbuktu.

It was the buisness of the stockholders. They are management. Its nothing unusual for fans & media to comment. That's sport. But for a teammate to throw himself in between a financial dispute that he has zero stake in is wrong.

And I don't know if Walker had to "mend fences" w/teammates, but he shouldn't have. Favre should have apologized to Walker.
If Walker is at the end of his contract, I agree it's no ones business but player and management. However, if a player is still under contract, and holds a gun to management's head and threatens to hold out, then I'm with Favre, a contract is a contract. Why wait till camp to announce to the world your unhappy, do it immediately after the season ends. No one is above the team, including Favre, when you threaten a holdout right before camp begins.

The fans are stockholders, though. So, they are fans and stockholders, not just management, but fans as well. The stake Farve had into it was to put the best team on the field for the Green Bay Packers. Favre isn't any different than McNabb or Brady.

So, your saying that if all 75 players are sweating and gutting it out under contract in camp, and you have one that holds out and skimps camp, everything will be fine and dandy between Walker and teammates.

I don't agree with renegotiating contracts after a player has one good year. It's my opinion to play out the contract you signed.

You keep bringing up would Favre like it if Walker said something publicly about Favre's contract or retirement or any player for that matter. Favre's a big boy, if he dishes it out , he can take it. He's already been through much more privately than I ever have.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #58
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If Walker is at the end of his contract, I agree it's no ones business but player and management. However, if a player is still under contract, and holds a gun to management's head and threatens to hold out, then I'm with Favre, a contract is a contract. Why wait till camp to announce to the world your unhappy, do it immediately after the season ends. No one is above the team, including Favre, when you threaten a holdout right before camp begins.

The fans are stockholders, though. So, they are fans and stockholders, not just management, but fans as well. The stake Farve had into it was to put the best team on the field for the Green Bay Packers. Favre isn't any different than McNabb or Brady.

So, your saying that if all 75 players are sweating and gutting it out under contract in camp, and you have one that holds out and skimps camp, everything will be fine and dandy between Walker and teammates.

I don't agree with renegotiating contracts after a player has one good year. It's my opinion to play out the contract you signed.

You keep bringing up would Favre like it if Walker said something publicly about Favre's contract or retirement or any player for that matter. Favre's a big boy, if he dishes it out , he can take it. He's already been through much more privately than I ever have.

Bingo!! This post sums up my feelings about Walker and Favre. The bitch was under contract and threw his team under the bus. Favre is the team leader. He had every right to want his number 1 WR at the time to get his *** in camp. At the time Walker and Favre were pretty close friends. Walker was in Favre's golf and softball charity functions. Favre is an emotional leader. He voiced his opinion. End of story.
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #59
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
Geez, why is everybody being so harsh? I'm a Denver fan, and he had no problems whatsoever. And he is right, Marshall is the star now, with Stokley being number two. I don't understand why everyone is saying he is like T.O.

A cancer in the locker room???? WTF!?

A cancer can present itself in many ways. A player coming out publically whining about wanting out of town, especially Denver, is a form of cancer. Did you ever see Elway wanting out of town when Terrell Davis became the offense's focal point. Did Rod Smith complain when Ed McCaffery or Shannon Sharpe was getting balls? Javon Walker had an ok year last year, was hurt this year, and is now bellyaching about wanting to be somewhere else. Javon Walker is a cancer with his attitude, and I guarantee it won't be tolerated by Mike Shanahan. Being a Bronco fan, you should know this.

Besides, Marshall is not necessarily the main man now anyway. Like I said before, he was the man by default. It was reported on PFT last week of him having his own little tantrum and threatening to ask for a trade. Marshall is far from being a superstar, he has to show some consistency first.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
This is not aimed @ you personally. Just the general thought. But I am sick & tired of hearing people crying "a contract is a contract" when it comes to the NFL. Nobody ever cries when ownership cuts a guy when he is under a signed contract. But everyone wants to hold the player to the letter of the law. Then the fans say cut him when he drops a pass or allows a TD. They don't care about the team keeping their word then. I wish everyone would quit calling for that when they don't apply it equally both ways. We know the way the situation is. It works for/against both sides. So just drop it.

Quote:
I know what's @ stake for Favre. I also know Favre ain't going to give Javon a dime if he got hurt & was unable to get the money he had earned up till then. & that takes priority. Walker has to do what he feels is best for him. Brett ain't looking out for Javon, or the Packers for that matter. He spoke out in his own self-interest. He needed to mind his buisness & let Javon worry about Javon.

Quote:
These are all grown men & they know how the game off the field is played. They'll get over it. Owners will trick a player to sign a waiver & then cut him less than a minute after the ink dries. Players know the risks. They know the tenuous nature of their profession. They know the loyalty the organization has when they preach "family". Upshaw & Tagliablue created a get what you can now league & this how its done.

Quote:
I respect your opinion. I'm for keeping your word. Again, tell the owners to keep theirs. Not suggesting you're gullible, but remember the FOX's & ESPN's are the leagues' buisness partners. Their reporting will not be fair. The owners are just as guilty as the players, but you wouldn't think it the way they report things. They'll get on their soap box & lambast the player if he holds out. But read the cut list w/all the emotion you'd expect if they read straight from the dictionary.

When your team comes up w/their list of released players this spring, come up here & post how disgusted you are w/the owners breaking their word. Till then, any reasons anybody puts for disagreeing w/Walker's, or anyone's, holdout is irrelevant. Favre needs to keep his mouth shut.

Quote:
I brought up Favre cause you brought him up. As if there was some justification for Brett's comments now. I'm telling you there isn't any justification. Whatever flaws there are in Javon's character did not give him license to interject himself into Walker's situtation.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #61
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
This is not aimed @ you personally. Just the general thought. But I am sick & tired of hearing people crying "a contract is a contract" when it comes to the NFL. Nobody ever cries when ownership cuts a guy when he is under a signed contract. But everyone wants to hold the player to the letter of the law. Then the fans say cut him when he drops a pass or allows a TD. They don't care about the team keeping their word then. I wish everyone would quit calling for that when they don't apply it equally both ways. We know the way the situation is. It works for/against both sides. So just drop it.

I know what's @ stake for Favre. I also know Favre ain't going to give Javon a dime if he got hurt & was unable to get the money he had earned up till then. & that takes priority. Walker has to do what he feels is best for him. Brett ain't looking out for Javon, or the Packers for that matter. He spoke out in his own self-interest. He needed to mind his buisness & let Javon worry about Javon.

These are all grown men & they know how the game off the field is played. They'll get over it. Owners will trick a player to sign a waiver & then cut him less than a minute after the ink dries. Players know the risks. They know the tenuous nature of their profession. They know the loyalty the organization has when they preach "family". Upshaw & Tagliablue created a get what you can now league & this how its done.

I respect your opinion. I'm for keeping your word. Again, tell the owners to keep theirs. Not suggesting you're gullible, but remember the FOX's & ESPN's are the leagues' buisness partners. Their reporting will not be fair. The owners are just as guilty as the players, but you wouldn't think it the way they report things. They'll get on their soap box & lambast the player if he holds out. But read the cut list w/all the emotion you'd expect if they read straight from the dictionary.

When your team comes up w/their list of released players this spring, come up here & post how disgusted you are w/the owners breaking their word. Till then, any reasons anybody puts for disagreeing w/Walker's, or anyone's, holdout is irrelevant. Favre needs to keep his mouth shut.

I brought up Favre cause you brought him up. As if there was some justification for Brett's comments now. I'm telling you there isn't any justification. Whatever flaws there are in Javon's character did not give him license to interject himself into Walker's situtation.
No, it doesn't work on both sides and I won't just drop it. There's a difference, you work for ownership, you don't work for the union or anyone else. So, if ownership feels that your skills have decreased, or someone else younger and eager to play in the NFL, ownership should keep those players. The debate that it works both ways doesn't work in an ownership vs employer(player) basis.

Sorry, I don't listen to Fox, ESPN or the NFL Network to form my opinions. I guess I'm too old school to think a player should play out the contract they signed.

I'll end it right here, because it's evident you and I won't agree on this issue. As stated above, Favre is an emotional leader, on and off the field. Again, people in Wisconsin had no issues with Favre speaking out as the leader of the team. It was no surprise because he did it a decade earlier with Sterling Sharpe. People didn't have an issue when he did it with Sharpe as well. I think that people who have some dislike for Favre are the ones jumping up and down and calling it a personal matter vs a team matter and how dare Favre does this to Javon and Sterling. Funny thing is, McNabb and Brady have called out for or against players and they get a pass. I think this speaks volumes on someone's like or dislike of a player. I had no issues with McNabb calling for TO to get into camp and I had no issues with Brady calling out management to sign Branch.

The thing I see with Walker is a pattern developing, things turn sour for him, he pouts and wants to leave.

Last edited by roadman; 01-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
No, it doesn't work on both sides and I won't just drop it. There's a difference, you work for ownership, you don't work for the union or anyone else. So, if ownership feels that your skills have decreased, or someone else younger and eager to play in the NFL, ownership should keep those players. The debate that it works both ways doesn't work in an ownership vs employer(player) basis.
What you're describing isn't an employer/employee relationship. It's an owner/slave relationship. Doesn't sound like all men are created equal. Sounds like somehow the boss is able to treat & discard a player anyway he feels like. That's ludicrous.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #63
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
What you're describing isn't an employer/employee relationship. It's an owner/slave relationship. Doesn't sound like all men are created equal. Sounds like somehow the boss is able to treat & discard a player anyway he feels like. That's ludicrous.

These players are paid a heck of a lot of money for four months of salary. I wouldn't call that what you described above. I'm not sure why you went all the way to the left with the owner/slave comment. I never stated that, I never intended to imply that and it's further from the truth. That's your opinion, not my intention.

I never said a boss is able to treat and discard a player anyway they feel like. I said if one player has more skills than another player, ownership has the right to cut the player with the less skills, don't you agree?

Don't you agree most players honor their contract in the NFL?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #64
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottd
I don't blame him. He is the number 1 WR and it is clear that the new guy is their stud now. He can come to Minny. That guy is still threat!
You don't blame hiw for what? I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near my team. He has no heart.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »