Home

WHy would a team want to win if your out of the playoffs?

This is a discussion on WHy would a team want to win if your out of the playoffs? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #81
MVP

heitkamp94's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: WHy would a team want to win if your out of the playoffs?

Pride, Professionalism oh and its their job to play or coach to win. If you're ever seriously hoping your team loses any game then you're not much of a fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets
Meaningless wins? They could have still made the playoffs up until the last week up of the season when the Giants won. And thats with four starting lineman injured.
You're right. I had eliminated them in my mind because they were last in just about every tiebreaker there was. But the NO's game was meaningless. And that one win would have netted them Willis over SF.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #83
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

I sorta buy into momentum for next year though. I think it was 2004 when Carolina lost every player imaginable to injury but finished the season on a 6-2 run after starting 1-7, and then they made the NFCCG in 05. The playoffs this year would have definitely been possible with Delhomme.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #84
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

I wish my Eagles just would've tanked the rest of their games after it was obivous they were not going to the playoffs @ 5-8. A higher draft choice makes more sense to me than finishing 8-8, and winning the last 3 games. Momentum schmomentum... A higher draft choice, that's the ticket.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #85
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by illidan
Makes no sense so now we'll be trying to lobby for a lower draft choice when you could just constantly call dime D especially against minny and just get ran all over!

Then on Offense just call 5 step drops because we all know we have no O-line for pass blocking.

Just don't see why a team would win when your out the playoffs.

I see nothing in the rules about throwing games for a draft position.

that is easily the ****tiest post ever....

seriously...it is like you have no class...

The
NFL
is
not
Madden.

You don't need "higher draft picks"....the Pats seem to be doing fine...so do the Cowboys, Steelers, etc...find any playoff team and you will find one or two "high draft picks"....what's more, you will find that most of those are long-term veterans, rather than dudes fresh off the boat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #86
Banned

OVR: 19

Any athlete/coach/GM that is ok with losing should be fired and banned, if your not playing to win whats the point... Example KG that man cares, he wants to win at any personal cost and nobody can take that from him
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #87
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

A few good reasons to lose games on purpose is because...

1. Owners love to shell out top dollar every year for an unproven talent. The Lions owner loved the last few years when he was able to snag Charles Rogers, Roy Williams/Kevin Jones, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson. What Owner wouldn't love to have half of their salary cap devoted to Top 10 (plus a late first rounder) unproven rookie.

2. Veteran players love it when coaches bring in fresh young unproven talent. Keyshawn Johnson loved it when the Panthers drafted Dwayne Jarrett because he was just eager to spend time teaching him while feeling very secure about his job.

3. Veteran Free Agents love to play for teams where the coach has no problem with losing games on purpose as soon as playoff spots are locked just so they can guarentee a good, yet very unproven, draft selection.

4. Free Agents love to hear this pitch when being pursued by teams looking for free agent help: "Come On Over! We're having a party losing these games on purpose. We know you'd fit right on in because who doesn't love to tank games when a high draft pick is on the line. Everyone knows that a Top 10 draft pick is guarenteed Super Bowl, Bay-bay!!! Whoooooo!" Just ask Ryan Leaf.

5. Owners have a duty to their fans to lose games on purpose when they are already out of the playoffs. What fan cares to watch their losing team win games? I know that no fan loves to shell out cash to watch their losing team win games. Damn, that would be horrible! If my Dallas Cowboys were losing games on purpose, then I know I just made a sound investment. I hate shelling out cash to be entertained.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »