Home

Kudos to Chad Pennington

This is a discussion on Kudos to Chad Pennington within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 13
Kudos to Chad Pennington

Quote:
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If Jets quarterback Chad Pennington truly wants out of town, he may have to shoot his way out much like guard Pete Kendall did last August, although he admitted that's not his style.

Coach Eric Mangini yesterday refused to name second-year pro Kellen Clemens as the starter for next season, even though that's clearly the direction the team is headed. But Mangini suggested that Pennington isn't going anywhere because he's under contract.

Thus, there could conceivably be a scenario in which Clemens and Pennington battle for the starting job in training camp next summer, though the playing field would likely be tilted towards Clemens

"I don't have a lot of control over what is going on right now," Pennington said yesterday. "I'm under contract and that is where we stand."

Pennington said he wouldn't demand a trade -- "I don't believe in doing business that way," he said -- or hold out in an effort to force one.

"I've never considered that," Pennington said. "You guys understand that's not my personality. I understand the business of it, but when it comes between those white lines, I have always believed in the team concept."

The best resolution for Pennington, who said often this season he still considers himself able to start in the NFL, would be for the Jets to trade him if they're committed to Clemens. The Vikings, Dolphins and Falcons are among the teams looking for quarterbacks. Right now, Pennington, an eight-year veteran, is taking the high road in the hopes the organization will do right by him considering his years of service.

"I appreciate Chad's opinion on (wanting to start) and that's one of the things that you look for in any player," Mangini said. "We'll look at (the quarterback situation) and analyze that and make a decision as we go."

A decision to go with Clemens isn't clear-cut, or so it seems, for the Jets. He was 3-5 as a starter and his 60.9 passer rating and 52.0 completion percentage were the worst in the league. He led the Jets to just nine touchdown drives in his 87 possessions as a starter.

Tight end Chris Baker, however, said Clemens has what it takes to be successful if the Jets can solidify the offensive line. He says the young quarterback can make all the throws.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index....070.xml&coll=1

Stuff like this is good to see nowadays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Kudos to Chad Pennington

It is, and that's great but he hurts himself by saying it to the media. Unfortunately, the snakes on the other side of the fence can pench pennies with him and screw around with his starting status as much as they want b/c this is out there. It's pretty messed up how they've done him since he got in the league.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Right now, I honestly don't want to see either of them starting Week 1 next season.

Trade Vilma and a 5th rounder for McNabb.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Right now, I honestly don't want to see either of them starting Week 1 next season.

Isnt it possible that Vilma is damaged goods from here on out? I thought I heard his health problem might be ongoing.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

I think Clemens is a horrible, horrible QB. I watched Jay Cutler last year and he had "it," something I haven't seen at all in Clemens. Hell, Clemens looks like a salsa dancer in the pocket whenever even the slightest pressure comes. He throws passes with accuracy that rivals Vince Young. I'm not a fan of QBs coming from pure spread offenses as their record just hasn't been good. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Clemens will be a starter in this league past 2009.

Chad's done here too because he just doesn't fit here. I love the guy to death but the ship has sailed. I hope/pray Chad ends up as a starter on another team next year. The guy is a class act all the way; compare his words here to the primadonnas like Javon Waker and TO. It's refreshing.

I'd love McNabb too, he looked fantastic at the end of the season. It's not going to happen though.

Last edited by Spectre; 01-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

They should get rid of him unless he has a legit shot at starting next year.

He deserves the chance to go somewhere and start.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

That's good for him but the teams don't think that way so he should look out for himself.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
It is, and that's great but he hurts himself by saying it to the media. Unfortunately, the snakes on the other side of the fence can pench pennies with him and screw around with his starting status as much as they want b/c this is out there. It's pretty messed up how they've done him since he got in the league.
He may hurt himself some, but he's still going to get 7 figure deals. Realistically speaking, he probably won't be upset with that. He probably won't have much trouble feeding his family. Or a small foreign country if he so decided.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »