Home

49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

This is a discussion on 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I think this is Martz's last chance to get it done in the NFL. If he was a different personality type I could see him getting another opportunity somewhere else, but given that he seems to grate on people rather quickly, he has to succeed big in S.F. or he's finished. So we'll see if he can finally subjugate his ego, and play to the strengths of his personnel.
What a way to look for stability with hiring a guy who would jump at the chance (who would blame him) to become a head coach again in the NFL after one great year as the offensive CO of the Niners.

Other than that it seems like a good hire. I can just picture him leaving in a year or two.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5

That wont help, they need a decent QB. Smith cant play and is the reason why the teams offense is bad.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Ok, I did some research on Martz and how the playcalling was last year while in Detroit and it really seems to support what I and others have said. Overall on the entire season Martz called a passing play 588 times or 36.75 attempts per game while calling running plays 326 times or 20.38 attempts per game. Detroit had numerous games where they ran the ball less then a total of 10 times in a game, vs Arizona (45-8 pass-run), vs. Minnesota (36-7 pass-run) and vs SD (47-9 pass-run). When you throw in other totals like 48-17 pass-run vs Green Bay in week 17, or 43-11 pass-run vs the Giants, I think anyone can see how this hire can easily blow up in the face of the Niners, and hence the reason why Im really hesitant to get excited over this hire. The one game where it was completely lopsided but understandable was the game vs Philly since they fell behind before the game started, and in that game they had a pass-run ratio of 46-12.
Well I can't argue with that besides the fact that Detroit does have good receivers.

I guess the difference with us is that I am optimistic that he will utilize the strengths of the Niner offense as best he can. He can't possibly be dumb enough to let Alex Smith throw the ball 587 times with their current receivers can he?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #36

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

I dont know, besides Roy Williams who did the Lions have? Calvin Johnson was anything but a stud and Mike Furrey seemed to fall off for some reason, Shaun McDonald had good stats in Detroit for what he is and I dont think he is any better then Battle or Lelie. Hopefully he sees the error in his ways and corrects them by adjusting his play calling to fit his personnel and not expect the personnel to fit his scheme, if its the later then we are in for another long season Im afraid.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #37
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

A little off target, but Johnson was a disappointment?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #38

The Chef's Arena

Assuming you are talking about Calvin Johnson and the comment I made then yes, he was a dissapointment imo. For the amount of times Kitna threw the ball for him to finish the year with 48 catches, or an average of 3 catches a game coupled with the amount of hype he had coming into the season, I would say he didnt deliver. Johnson averaged 3 catches for 50 yards a game and scored a TD every 4 games he played in, just not impressive enough considering the amount of passes thrown in that offense, thats all Im saying. To put that further into prespective, Mike Furrey didnt even start and he had 61 catches on the season. Johnsons season would have been fine if he didnt have the all the hype coming into the season that he had.

Last edited by The Chef; 01-09-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #39
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Assuming you are talking about Celvin Johnson and the comment I made then yes, he was a dissapointment imo. For the amount of times Kitna threw the ball for him to finish the year with 48 catches, or an average of 3 catches a game coupled with the amount of hype he had coming into the season, I would say he didnt deliver. Johnson averaged 3 catches for 50 yards a game and scored a TD every 4 games he played in, just not impressive enough considering the amount of passes thrown in that offense, thats all Im saying. To put that further into prespective, Mike Furrey didnt even start and he had 61 catches on the season. Johnsons season would have been fine if he didnt have the all the hype coming into the season that he had.

Johnson battled a back injury that he sustained in Philadelphia for most of the season.

Oh, and that's another reason people here didn't like Martz. He didn't put Johnson on the field enough.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #40

The Chef's Arena

I will take your word for that, I didnt watch enough Lions games so I will assume you have more of that Lions specific information then I would.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »