Home

49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

This is a discussion on 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Ok, I did some research on Martz and how the playcalling was last year while in Detroit and it really seems to support what I and others have said. Overall on the entire season Martz called a passing play 588 times or 36.75 attempts per game while calling running plays 326 times or 20.38 attempts per game. Detroit had numerous games where they ran the ball less then a total of 10 times in a game, vs Arizona (45-8 pass-run), vs. Minnesota (36-7 pass-run) and vs SD (47-9 pass-run). When you throw in other totals like 48-17 pass-run vs Green Bay in week 17, or 43-11 pass-run vs the Giants, I think anyone can see how this hire can easily blow up in the face of the Niners, and hence the reason why Im really hesitant to get excited over this hire. The one game where it was completely lopsided but understandable was the game vs Philly since they fell behind before the game started, and in that game they had a pass-run ratio of 46-12.
Good post. I was looking at Kevin Jones stats and he ran well against cowboys and then rushed the 5 times the next game.

Bill Parcells said that certain coaches want to win in a certain type of way. We saw this when the Rams played the Pats in the Super Bowl when he abandoned the run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #42

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Thats the problem, Martz has an ego and seems to think that he has to prove that his way is the best way no matter what and at times that hurts his team and to be more specific his QB. We will see, I can tell you if he goes into a game and runs the ball less then 10 times I might lose my mind, I would have atleast a little more confidence if Nolan showed the ability to step in when things get out of control but considering it took 3/4 of last year to bring in Tollner I dont have that confidence in Nolan either. When your HC doesnt seem to have the backbone to make a tough decision and you hire a OC that may need to be reigned in at some point it can spell disaster. Hopefully Im wrong though.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Our offense cant get any worse than it was last season. Gore rushed 20+ times only 5 games last year. He made it past the century mark twice. At least with Martz we'll find out if whoever becomes the starting QB is actually legit.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #44
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

Love Mike Martz passing schemes and aggressiveness, but hate his stubborness and lack of patience with the run. He doesn't allow the quarterback to call audibles and he doesn't ever want to compromise and take what the defense gives him. Ever. That reason was what mainly costed the team the Redskins game. The Skins took away intermediate and deep routes throughout the game. Martz would not adjust to this game plan by Washington and run the ball and/or use a short passing game. As a result, the offense sputtered with three-and-outs throughout and given up many coverage sacks, meanwhile the defense had eventually gotten tired. The Skins began to pull away late in the 3rd quarter and the rest is history.

The abundance of motioning and shifting in plays had become too complex and had players often running the wrong routes. Look no further than what happened in a critical moment late in the 4th quarter during the Giants game. The Lions had a good counter for a blitz ran by the Giants. Roy Williams was supposed to run a go route, but suddenly turned toward the middle of the field after beating the cornerback and ran the skinny post instead. Jon Kitna immediately airs it out anticipating go route all the way. The ball sails inches away from Roy on his left and drops on the ground. Potential game-winning touchdown pass failed. Calvin Johnson also had issues picking up everything, so Martz had Shaun McDonald on the field a lot more instead of allowing CJ to develop his game with experience on the field.

Like Psyblast had mentioned, other coaches and the offensive line really disliked Martz and his ways as the season went on. Word has it that the team's animosity toward Martz had reached its peak during the Arizona game when the team ran a record low for rushing yardage. Damien Woody's and Roy Williams' latest comments on Martz speaks volumes on this issue.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 01-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

I dunno too much!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 8

As a Seahawk fan, this is awesome!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #47
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Good post. I was looking at Kevin Jones stats and he ran well against cowboys and then rushed the 5 times the next game.

Bill Parcells said that certain coaches want to win in a certain type of way. We saw this when the Rams played the Pats in the Super Bowl when he abandoned the run.
Til this day that still eats away at me, Martz got into a mano y mano duel with Belichick, and pissed away the the championship.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #48
MVP

heitkamp94's Arena

OVR: 9

I like Martz but I'm not sure he's the best fit for the 9ers. They are an offense searching for an identity, I'm afraid Martz will just impose his on them and not let them figure it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »