Home

McNabb wants playmakers on his team

This is a discussion on McNabb wants playmakers on his team within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: McNabb wants playmakers on his team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
I've been trying to tell my fellow Bears fans that playmakers just aren't marginal players who one day wake up and suddenly become playmakers. And that's what the Bears have on offense, below average to average players. At least the Eagles have one in Westbrook, the Bears have none. So we have a long way to go.
Devin Hester is a playmaker... He scores TD's. Bernard Berrian has the potential. He just needs someone to get him the ball.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Devin Hester is a playmaker... He scores TD's. Bernard Berrian has the potential. He just needs someone to get him the ball.
To be a playmaker on offense you have to be in at least 20-40 snaps on offense. So that disqualify Hester as a playmaker on offense. NOW as a returner, he's the best I've ever seen. BUT he's not a starting WR. On a good team, Hester should only be on offense for about 3-4 snaps a game. Hester is not a WR and shouldn't be converted to one. Let him do what he does best and that's KR/PR.

I've seen Berrian drop too many balls this year for him to be a playmaker. Dropping balls is not a result of someone not getting him the ball.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerik
So we can win with what we have, but we need someone else to step up and be a playmaker. Newsflash: nobody in this offense is ready to step up and be that guy, and every team in the league can gameplan to take one guy away (Westbrook). Reggie Brown looked great last year as a #2 WR - install him as the #1 this year and he flops. Curtis is a very nice #2. Avant is a fine #3. Baskett #4, ok. But there's no #1 guy, just a bunch of 2's and 3's.

The full year TO was here, the offense was incredible to watch. LJ Smith drew single coverage against LBs in the slot for the entire season and looked great. The WR on the other side of the field, whoever it was, drew single coverage on every play and looked great. WRs like Greg Lewis ate up the nickel backs who tried to defend them when we went 3 and 4 wide. He had a ripple effect on the entire offense and everyone around him suddenly became good.

Now everyone looks lousy except for Westbrook. The year we went to the Super Bowl, we had three huge matchup problems for defenses. TO, Westbrook, and McNabb making plays with his feet. Now we have one of those things, and even a bad defense can key on one guy. I'm not a McNabb fan, but he's right. We do need another playmaker.
Ok. That's not really what I said but I understand your need to vent so I won't stop you. But yes, the Eagles could win with what they currently have. They've actually been doing it for years and they're still good enough to do it. They just aren't an elite team which a playmaker would make them (which is what I was saying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Yes. And I still feel that way. BUT with all the issues the Bears have, their first job is to find A playmaker.

And that's why I had stated in the past post that they should look to rebuilding next year. I also stated that I'd have a hard time imagining the Bears making the playoffs in the next 4 years. I never said getting a playmaker will solve all our issues. I just wanted that to be top priority over all the other issues. Even though the other issues need to be addressed as well.
I won't rehash this in a McNabb thread but you said people jumped on you about saying the Bears need a playmaker. That's not true, we jumped on you about your logic which you just restated. I disagree with it... still do and that's cool, but the situation is different than in Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Dice is right, Hester is not an OFFENSIVE playmaker. Not even close. Berrian has potential in the same way Patrick Crayton has potential. At THIS point (at least) he can only shine with someone better on the other side. He may become a good #1 but he's not now no matter who's throwing him the ball.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 29

Just ask ESPN for the tapes of Playmakers. I'm sure they have them somewhere. The show was pretty good until it got canceled.

Outside of TO, have the Eagles ever paid big money for a WR? Hell, even TO didn't get big money. It seems the Andy Reid coaching tree hates paying receivers. Even Childress in Minny is running around with a bunch of nobodies. Although, Sidney Rice could be pretty good.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

why did someone downplay Kevin Curtis? He had a great 1000plus year being a great deep threat. what gives? I'd rather have him than Berrian. It just wasn't their year...i think they're a really good team though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
why did someone downplay Kevin Curtis? He had a great 1000plus year being a great deep threat. what gives? I'd rather have him than Berrian. It just wasn't their year...i think they're a really good team though.
Curtis is a good player, but that Detroit game padded his stats and he is not going to draw double coverage. You need a receiver that the other team is going to gameplan for, which the Eagles do not have.

And as long as Reid is the head burger, they will never have a #1 receiver. If they do get one, they will not keep him. Look at Owens. Look at Stallworth. Donte isn't a true #1, but he was a very skilled legit deep threat that can make teams gameplan for him. Last year, Stallworth made Reggie Brown look like John Taylor out there. But I will give credit where it is due, Brown looked good the last couple games this season.

The problem with Reid and Co. is that the offense they brought to this team requires a timing quarterback with great accuracy. Except, they picked the wrong guy to play that role.

They had one last season in Garcia. They let him go. Dummies.

If Reid was smart, he would've known that his QB isn't the right QB to run his offense. Instead, he went along with it...thinking he can plug anyone in it and it will work.

Fool.

A smart coach would've known that with a QB like McNabb, you need tough (bodied and minded) receivers that will go get the ball and make the big catch. McNabb is an accurate enough thrower, but not to where you would put him in an offense that needs great accuracy and impeccable timing on drop backs. McNabb is a downfield thrower. Taking up 15-20 yards a throw, deep balls and the sort. And needs playmaking receivers to make the catches on those not-so-favorable throws he does make.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Curtis is a good player, but that Detroit game padded his stats and he is not going to draw double coverage. You need a receiver that the other team is going to gameplan for, which the Eagles do not have.
Exactly...That Detriot game gave him 221 of his 1,110 yd receiving and 3 of his 6 TDs. He had 11 catches that game and did not go into double digit receptions again during 2007. There were 5 gms where he had no more than 3 catches, and only one of his TD catches game against a secondary w/ any kind of clout...that being Seattle. The other 5 were against Detroit (3), Jets (1), and the Saints (1). If you ask me he is not a "playmaker"... He can't go out every game and provide you w/ the explosive ability of a true playmaker like Reggie Wayne or Plaxico etc. etc. etc. And to the dude who said why did someone donwplay him...that's why...He's a good #2/slot receiver. Not your #1 guy. Either is Reggie Brown at this point. Brian Westbrook's a better #1 receiver than any receiver the Eagles have, and he's a running back.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

one big time reciever (or playmaker) turned the Eagles into a SB team.....i cant blame Don on this one...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »