Home

Out of the following three retired players, who deserves the HOF induction more?

This is a discussion on Out of the following three retired players, who deserves the HOF induction more? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who has the best case for the HOF committee?
Terrell Davis, RB Broncos 14 21.54%
Jimmy Smith, WR Jaguars 4 6.15%
Curtis Martin, RB Jets 47 72.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Out of the following three retired players, who deserves the HOF induction more?

Broncos bias... Terrell Davis.

All three should be in the Hall of Fame in my opinion. I see no possible way Curtis Martin doesn't make it on his first try. He deserves it.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Out of the following three retired players, who deserves the HOF induction more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Only 2 of those backs, Anderson and Portis had over 1500 yards and we would consider both of those guys pretty talented. Still neither has rushed for over 1700 yards in Denver. TD did it twice. 1000+ isn't spectacular over 16 games. If you're average and healthy, 1000 yards is definately feasible. He may have been a good system, but I challenge you to find a better RB from 1996-1999 not named Barry or Emmitt.

I didn't even vote for him, I voted for Martin. But TD has a case. Warner is interesting but a bit difference. TD lost his ability due to injury unlike a regression Warner had from the 2002 season.
I agree that TD was a remarkable talent, but you cant put someone into the hall based on what ifs and presumption. Had he played longer, and if he couldve stayed healthy, the pace he was on made him a HOF lock. But unfortunately he got cut down, the Bronco RB myth got started, and his body of work just isnt that great.

Now, 1000+ yards isnt a big deal you say, but thats still the benchmark, espeically with guys splitting carries. Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson (i think ) both put up 1000 yards in the same year for the Broncos, kind of sick when you think about it.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
I agree that TD was a remarkable talent, but you cant put someone into the hall based on what ifs and presumption. Had he played longer, and if he couldve stayed healthy, the pace he was on made him a HOF lock. But unfortunately he got cut down, the Bronco RB myth got started, and his body of work just isnt that great.
Sure you can. Gale Sayers. Exact same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Now, 1000+ yards isnt a big deal you say, but thats still the benchmark, espeically with guys splitting carries. Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson (i think ) both put up 1000 yards in the same year for the Broncos, kind of sick when you think about it.
I don't think they both put up 1,000 yards. But it was close. 1,000 yards isn't that big of a deal though. If you average 64 yards a game you will break 1,000.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

In order

1. Martin
2. TD
3. Smith (who really shouldn't even be considered)

Martin is a slam dunk inductee IMO. There's no need to go through his track record. Davis may have been the first of the "plug n' play" RBs in the Denver system but he was a darn good back. If injury didn't rob him of playing out his career in its natural progression I think he would be considered HOF worthy for sure. As it is now, he's in the Gale Sayers mold of a guy who would've been a HOF'er if he played his full career.

Smith to me was just a stat padder. Oh yes he had great years but in an era where WRs can easily put up gaudy numbers there needs to be something else to the guy that makes him stand out. I just don't see that with Smith. He wasn't a game changer IMO.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 30

I think Curtis Martin is the only one who deserves the Hall, and even then, I don't think it should be a slam dunk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 32

How can anyone not say Curtis Martin is a slam dunk? He has over 14,000 rushing yards and 90 rushing touchdowns (10 receiving). He had over 1,000 yards in every single season he played in the NFL, minus his last season where he got injured.

The same can be said for Jimmy Smith, except he had less than 1,000 yards in two seasons.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #23
Pro

ddtrane's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Here's an interesting question:

To those who don't think TD deserves to be in the HOF, do you think Gale Sayers deserves to be there also?
Or for that fact, how about Earl Campbell?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #24
Pro

ddtrane's Arena

OVR: 7

The math is easy. TD equals 2 SB rings for John Elway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »