Home

Is it a bad thing to get a 1st round bye?

This is a discussion on Is it a bad thing to get a 1st round bye? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Is it a bad thing to get a 1st round bye?

If i'm a player or coach of a team I WANT A BYE!

The reason some teams lose after a bye is because of how they prepare heading into the playoffs. The Cowboys shut down their offense and defensive edge in the last couple or so weeks of the year but you really can't blame that on them. They played a great game. NYG was just too much on that day.

Indy has a propensity to rest their starters and play lackadaisical heading into the playoffs which ultimately takes the edge away from them. I think that if Harrison didn't fumble that ball they might've come away winning that game.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
Colts played the Chiefs on Wildcard weekend last year. If I remember right...
I couldn't remember who but thanks for clarifying.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage is you get a week off to rest any injuries, get your mind right, all that.

Disadvantage is a possibility of too much rest.

Playing in the Wild Card has it's advantages and disadvantages too. But I'd take the week off if I had it. The Patriots and Packers didn't seem to suffer from it.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Didn't the Colts have a bye last year and win the Superbowl? For three years the Eagles had Byes and won the divisional but lost the NFC championship. I don't think it matters.

It's just that the Cowboys suck, and the Chargers have some kryptonite for the Colts.
The Colts came into Baltimore and tore the 13-3 Ravens a new one. I also felt the year the Ravens won it all they were helped by the momentum of being a wild card team. I was thinking about this recently also. I think it may be better to be a wild card IF you can come out pretty injury free. It's that risk that makes you want the bye but I don't know.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Recently that seems to be the trend. But historically, having the bye seems pretty useful.

The current playoff format has been in effect since 1990. In those years, 13 of the 17 Super Bowl winners had a first round bye:

Seed - Superbowl Wins/ Superbowl Appearances
1. - 8/17
2. - 5/10
3. - 1/2 (Indy '06)
4. - 2/4 (Bal '00, Denv '97)
5. - 0/0
6. - 1/1 (Pitt '05)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 16

No way. You are being influenced by the recency bias here, since two teams with a bye lost this weekend. Look at the stats. The teams that have a bye win in the divisional playoffs by a huge margin. I want to say that they win 75% of the time (look at the stat from yesterday - Dallas is the first #1 seed to lose in the NFC Divisional Playoffs since they started the format in 1990).

A week off at the end of the season + not having to play one of the wild card teams in order to get to the divisional playoffs is a huge advantage. Sure - a lower seed will win now and then, but that is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm influenced by how much I know about some of the teams that have done it recently... including your favorite team. It just seems that the difference in talent between the best NFL team and the worse in the playoffs is getting smaller and smaller. You'd like to think that WC teams don't do as well simply b/c they're not as good, but these days that doesn't seem to be the case so much anymore.

I'm not sold on the thought but I it does seem like there's something to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
MVP

dust247's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Recently that seems to be the trend. But historically, having the bye seems pretty useful.

The current playoff format has been in effect since 1990. In those years, 13 of the 17 Super Bowl winners had a first round bye:

Seed - Superbowl Wins/ Superbowl Appearances
1. - 8/17
2. - 5/10
3. - 1/2 (Indy '06)
4. - 2/4 (Bal '00, Denv '97)
5. - 0/0
6. - 1/1 (Pitt '05)
So with that said, it's not a bad thing to have a bye week. It's a bad thing to be the number 5 seed.
Iowa Hawkeyes (NCAA)
Minnesota Twins (MLB)
Tennessee Volunteers (NCAA)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »