Home

Greatest Team Ever

This is a discussion on Greatest Team Ever within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #57
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Greatest Team Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Tell me about it, they knocked Phil Simms out in the playoffs (I think), they almost killed him. I remember before the game Phil was talking about how he was not afraid of the Bears etc...Well they made him afraid. Against the Dolphins they never got to Marino to even scratch him because his release was so quick. The thing that is in the Pats favor is that the spread offense usually tells Brady where the blizt is coming from, Brady while in the shotgun would gain a second or two to read the field, it would all depend on the rush and the coverage, the Bears coverage was not that great. But hey, they were so freakin devastating!
Wilbur Marshall, Otis Wilson and Mike Singletary. I don't think there's ever been a more intimidating and frightening trio of LB's to ever play.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #58
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

That's one thing that just can't happen in today's NFL. It's become way too over protective of the offensive players. Back then The Bears and teams of that ilk could intimidate opposing teams with big hits. I mean look at the hit that nearly killed Joe Ferguson!

In a perfect world the Bears would make the Pats crap their pants just on intimidation along.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
To be fair, there were some strange things going on in that Dolphins game, I don't know how many people here actually watched that game, but that game does not prove the Pats would be the Bears.
True, but you can say that about the Ravens game as well for the Pats. You can't expect a team to bowl over the opposition for an entire season, so there are going to be games like that.

The fact is, it's impossible to say who would have won. Could the Bears have stopped Moss? Probably by double teaming him all game, but then what about Welker? Could they stop the quick slants and screens that the Pats use to gain so much yardage? Could the Pats O-line keep Brady protected against the Bears excellent pass rush? And what about the Pats defense? Their corners are great, but they have had trouble stopping the run. Could they stop the Bears rush attack?

All these questions can be debated ad-nauseum, but the answer will always remain the same: They'll never play each other so we'll never know. I think an argument could be made for either as the greatest team ever. However, since both teams beat the best teams in the league and won the Super Bowl, but only the Pats went undefeated, I think you have to give the edge to the Pats. Again, this is all assuming the Pats beat the Giants. If they don't any arguments for them in this thread are moot.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
As Bk said pressure defense has stymied them on more than one occasion this year.

I don't think this year's Patriots were built to be strong towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. Such is the effects of ignoring the running game most of the year. Their dominance has decreased as the weather has gotten worse. I truly believe if the Jaguars had pressured/blitzed Brady more it would have been a closer game.

That being said I think they'll probably destroy the Giants as it's indoors and in a controlled environment.
Actually, it is not pressure that stymies the Pats, Brady is good under pressure, it is the fact that Philly, Baltimore, and SD molest the receivers and kept them from getting into their patterns that give the Pats the most problems. This causes Brady to hesitate with the throw, which inturn gives the rush a chance to get to him. The Colts were the only team that actually pressured Brady but even they could not maintain it the whole game, which is why the colts lost. The key to stopping this team his having corners with heart and determination enough to fight the receivers at the line and rough them up and the refs allowing them to do it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #61
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnomar05
True, but you can say that about the Ravens game as well for the Pats. You can't expect a team to bowl over the opposition for an entire season, so there are going to be games like that.

The fact is, it's impossible to say who would have won. Could the Bears have stopped Moss? Probably by double teaming him all game, but then what about Welker? Could they stop the quick slants and screens that the Pats use to gain so much yardage? Could the Pats O-line keep Brady protected against the Bears excellent pass rush? And what about the Pats defense? Their corners are great, but they have had trouble stopping the run. Could they stop the Bears rush attack?

All these questions can be debated ad-nauseum, but the answer will always remain the same: They'll never play each other so we'll never know. I think an argument could be made for either as the greatest team ever. However, since both teams beat the best teams in the league and won the Super Bowl, but only the Pats went undefeated, I think you have to give the edge to the Pats. Again, this is all assuming the Pats beat the Giants. If they don't any arguments for them in this thread are moot.
The Pats Corners are great?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #62
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
That's one thing that just can't happen in today's NFL. It's become way too over protective of the offensive players. Back then The Bears and teams of that ilk could intimidate opposing teams with big hits. I mean look at the hit that nearly killed Joe Ferguson!

In a perfect world the Bears would make the Pats crap their pants just on intimidation along.
I remember a hit Mike Singletary put on the Cowboy Steve Pelluer one game. I seriously thought Pelluer was dead. He did that now, he probably would have been suspended.

Made the hit Geathers put on Trent Green 2 years ago look like a love tap.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #63
Pro

Chazzilla's Arena

OVR: 4

To know for sure, we need a sixteen team playoff!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Wilbur Marshall, Otis Wilson and Mike Singletary. I don't think there's ever been a more intimidating and frightening trio of LB's to ever play.
I wholeheartedly agree. You give me one team for one year as the greatest ever, hands down without hesitation it would be the 85 Bears. But if the Pats finish this quest that they are on, then I will have to revisit the issue. Until then, Da Bears!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »