Home

Why did everyone hate the XFL?

This is a discussion on Why did everyone hate the XFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Why did everyone hate the XFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
It was doomed because the media has a vendetta against Vince McMahon for whatever reasons they may have. They'll dump on anything he'll do, no matter what it is.
Good thing McMahon never got his hands on the Red Sox when they were up for sale then.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #26
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

It would only make sense to have someone with more football expertise and know how to take the lead in running the show and you sit back and learn and do what's necessary without being in the public forefront.

Sounds like he had an ego thing going on there. How dumb because to me it seemed like it wouldn't have reached the NFL's level of love but could've been a fun league for people in the long run.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
If the quality of play on the field was good it probably would have succeeded. Sub par players = sub par product.
I'm about get a new one torn for this one but, that's the way I see NCAA Football. Even worse when you toss in one team here and there who has actualy talent and rips through the teams without trying. Granted, this recent year was the exception, but that's my opinion of college ball.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
I'm about get a new one torn for this one but, that's the way I see NCAA Football. Even worse when you toss in one team here and there who has actualy talent and rips through the teams without trying. Granted, this recent year was the exception, but that's my opinion of college ball.
The difference is the XFL was marketed as a Pro league. With college ball we know what we're getting and it's part of the appeal. Plus you at least know you're watching future NFL players on college teams where the XFL only had a handful.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #29
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
The difference is the XFL was marketed as a Pro league. With college ball we know what we're getting and it's part of the appeal. Plus you at least know you're watching future NFL players on college teams where the XFL only had a handful.
that's because it was the first year. No one should expect a new league to appear at a nfl level by game one of its first season. They put so much hype and money into the XFL though, that everyone was let down by the result. If you can't weather a few badly rated first seasons, don't even roll out a new league.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I didn't like it because it just turned out to be regular minor league football. I thought the Defensive Ends were going to be allowed to Suplex the QB. I pictured goal line formations where the defense would make a ramp for the linebacker to leap off of and clothesline the running back in the back field. I wanted to see the Giant playing left tackle and chokeslam the blitzing Safety without a penalty. I thought you'd be allowed one patented Hulk Hogan leg drop per half on a ball carrier who was already whistled down.

At least thats what it was initially marketed as, either that or I had dillusions of grandier.

***Not that I would have really wanted a league where guys were getting beat within an inch of their lives on every play, but if professional wrestling wants to make a football league and wants me to watch it, it better be a 22 Man Battle Royale with pads and a football, and I better be saying Holy Something! every other play. Thats why it failed, it was just minor league football.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 32

People/fans like the NFL more than they like watching football. By mid-season their were quality games in the XFL but people couldn't get past that it wasn't "real football". I went to a XFL game and the game was one of the best sport experience in my life.

The Sporting News said the only people that was watching the XFL was NFL scouts.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »