Home

Dangerous precedent being set by KFC??

This is a discussion on Dangerous precedent being set by KFC?? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #49
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Dangerous precedent being set by KFC??

Here's another way of looking at it. Say you are at the dealership looking at cars, with a lot of other prospective car buyers. The cars cost about $26,000. A couple of people have purchased cars, a couple are still looking. All of a sudden, some guy from KFC runs in and shouts "I will donate $2,600 to CHARITY in the name of the first salesman who gives me a free car!!!"

That's what is going on here. Make no mistake, KFC is just as greedy as Fox or the NFL. The only difference is KFC wants a free car, while all the other advertisers are having to pay for theirs.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #50
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
Here's another way of looking at it. Say you are at the dealership looking at cars, with a lot of other prospective car buyers. The cars cost about $26,000. A couple of people have purchased cars, a couple are still looking. All of a sudden, some guy from KFC runs in and shouts "I will donate $2,600 to CHARITY in the name of the first salesman who gives me a free car!!!"

That's what is going on here. Make no mistake, KFC is just as greedy as Fox or the NFL. The only difference is KFC wants a free car, while all the other advertisers are having to pay for theirs.
So doing the chicken dance, with no mention of KFC at all is the same as having a 30-second commercial with the KFC name and product on it? Not quite. That analogy is horrible. It would make sense if the player was giving KFC a 30-second slot on TV for their commercial.

As for the players' financial gain, I believe it is a tax deduction, so they would benefit somewhat. I could be wrong, it may be KFC that gets that benefit.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #51
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I can see the KFC protestors outside the stadium now with their signs!

TOUCHDOWNS... ARE.... (INDIRECTLY) HARMFUL TO CHICKENS!

In regard to future advertising concerns....I really hope the Trojan condom folks don't jump on board here!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 7

It's threads like this that make me realize why I have pretty much stopped watching sports. Not because KFC is doing such a DASTARDLY THING...but because people want to bitch and moan as if it matters.

For crying out loud, if this is worthy of debate, then our country has gone completely insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
So the ACC should work around FSU having the worst academic scandal in recent history? Maybe FSU should stop cheating, fighting, packing gats, and act like normal people.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #53
MVP

skydog71's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinimac
So doing the chicken dance, with no mention of KFC at all is the same as having a 30-second commercial with the KFC name and product on it? Not quite. That analogy is horrible. It would make sense if the player was giving KFC a 30-second slot on TV for their commercial.

As for the players' financial gain, I believe it is a tax deduction, so they would benefit somewhat. I could be wrong, it may be KFC that gets that benefit.
Here's something for you to ponder. Who pays the players? The NFL. Where does the NFL get most of their money? From the networks. Where does the network get their money? From big corporations who pay to have their products advertised during games (McDonalds, Budweiser, etc). If KFC can advertise their product without paying Fox, then the NFL doesn't get paid, and neither do the players. It's disgusting that KFC is playing the "we'll give money to charity" card. They can give money to charity whenever they feel like it --- just write a check. But no, they are only going to write that check if a player does the CHICKEN dance for Kentucky Fried CHICKEN. You think KFC cares about charities? All they care about is selling chicken... and that's the goal of this whole charade.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #54
MVP

skydog71's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldill
It's threads like this that make me realize why I have pretty much stopped watching sports. Not because KFC is doing such a DASTARDLY THING...but because people want to bitch and moan as if it matters.

For crying out loud, if this is worthy of debate, then our country has gone completely insane.
It's basically just 3 greedy corporations playing chess with each other (NFL, Fox, and KFC). And it appears that KFC is winning at this point.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #55
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
Here's something for you to ponder. Who pays the players? The NFL. Where does the NFL get most of their money? From the networks. Where does the network get their money? From big corporations who pay to have their products advertised during games (McDonalds, Budweiser, etc). If KFC can advertise their product without paying Fox, then the NFL doesn't get paid, and neither do the players. It's disgusting that KFC is playing the "we'll give money to charity" card. They can give money to charity whenever they feel like it --- just write a check. But no, they are only going to write that check if a player does the CHICKEN dance for Kentucky Fried CHICKEN. You think KFC cares about charities? All they care about is selling chicken... and that's the goal of this whole charade.
No, I don't think they care about charity. I think they care about making cost-effective advertisements, and damn, they sure did a good job if you ask me. They're playing the charity card because they can't directly pay the players.

Why people are arguing about this is beyond me. Who the hell cares who's getting the money when every single player/organization in this argument is making more money than most of us will see before retirement, if then. The NFL and FOX are in no position to be supported by people arguing for morals. It's sick. The NFL promotes the most violent sport outside of actual fighting. They exploit the charitable organizations and kids during the incredibly lame overdone halftime shows during the Super Bowl. FOX exploits the hell out of idiotic people for almost nothing with shows like "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader," "WifeSwap/Trading Places," and even "American Idol."

To say that KFC is being immoral to these two massive promoters of immorality, is pretty ridiculous. KFC is making a smart, incredibly clever, business move. Business isn't about charity, it's about making money. You think the NFL or FOX give a damn about charity? If so, you are either incredibly naive, or just plain stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldill
Well, this is a sports forum and not a political debate forum so I think you can relax a little there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »