Home

The Senate and Spygate

This is a discussion on The Senate and Spygate within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: The Senate and Spygate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinimac
All I can say is anyone who defends the Patriots is by definition a Sammy Sosa fan.
Yeah, not really.

Awful analogy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 29

I wouldn't mind Belichick and Brady getting some sort of Julius and Ethel Rosenburg treatment for their espionage.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #43
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30

i agree with the government here why would you destroyed the tapes? there must of been some very incriminating stuff on there that could hurt the nfl on there if they destroyed them, also ive said it all along i believe the nfl has set this perfect season on, after the ravens and eagles game and that phatom flop in the giant game im convinced
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #44
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashanova
i agree with the government here why would you destroyed the tapes? there must of been some very incriminating stuff on there that could hurt the nfl on there if they destroyed them, also ive said it all along i believe the nfl has set this perfect season on, after the ravens and eagles game and that phatom flop in the giant game im convinced
The NFL already stated that part of one of the tapes was leaked on the internet.

Why risk all of the tapes getting leaked? That's what Goodell said he was trying to prevent. Besides, it was a dead issue as far as the NFL was concerned. The issued out the most severe penalty in the history of the league and has since moved on.

End of story.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #45
R*d B*ll G*v*s Y** W*ngs

HardwoodHeisman's Arena

OVR: 11

I can picture ESPN's VP emailin our Congress updated timelines in a PowerPoint presentation
on Randy Moss'
past run-ins with the law, as a way to deflect attention.

We got a story on ESPN today about Randy's run-ins with the law since HS.

I guess I can see how that relates to Sunday's game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
The NFL already stated that part of one of the tapes was leaked on the internet.

Why risk all of the tapes getting leaked? That's what Goodell said he was trying to prevent. Besides, it was a dead issue as far as the NFL was concerned. The issued out the most severe penalty in the history of the league and has since moved on.

End of story.
who cares if it gets leak why are they hiding it from the public
Old 02-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #47
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

There are allegations that the Patriots filmed the Rams' final walkthrough prior to Superbowl XXXVI.

That could be a major, major blow to the Patriots legacy if true.

All I can say is wow.

If any of the video evidence destroyed included those tapes then, yes, the NFL and Mr. Goodell have a lot of explaining to do.

Linkage

Quote:
PHOENIX - One night before the Patriots [team stats] face the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, new allegations have emerged about a Patriots employee taping the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game. The next day, the Patriots upset St. Louis, 20-17, on a last-second field goal by Adam Vinatieri for their first championship.

A walkthrough involves practicing plays at reduced speed without contact or pads. It is common for teams to film their own walkthroughs and practices.

When contacted last night, Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James said: “The coaches have no knowledge of it.”

Yesterday, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) stated that he plans to summon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before Congress to explain why he destroyed tapes that showed the Patriots stealing defensive signals over the last two years.

After his state of the NFL press conference yesterday, Goodell was asked if the league’s investigation into the Pats included allegations that they recorded the Rams walkthrough in 2002.

“I’m not aware of that,” Goodell said.

“We have no information on that,” seconded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

It’s not known what the cameraman did with the tape from there. It’s also not known if he made the recording on his own initiative or if he was instructed to make the recording by someone with the Patriots or anyone else.

The next day, the Patriots opened a 14-3 halftime lead on the Rams, who were 14-point favorites and operators of an offense known as “The Greatest Show on Turf.”

The Rams didn’t begin moving the ball until the fourth quarter, when their 14-point rally pulled the teams into a 17-17 tie with less than two minutes remaining. Tom Brady [stats] then led the most famous drive in Patriots history for the winning field goal.

The Patriots were fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick for breaking league policy and filming the Jets’ defensive signals from the sideline in September.

Asked yesterday if he believed the Pats used similar films to achieve their three Super Bowl victories, Goodell was adamant.

“No,” he said. “There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories.”
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #48
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

When were the tapes leaked? I never heard of that.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »