Home

The Senate and Spygate

This is a discussion on The Senate and Spygate within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: The Senate and Spygate

Because it is an IN HOUSE matter! What the hell is so hard for peopel to understand about that? Would you be pleased if you screwed up at work and your boss played it on a god damn jumbotron? No, I highly ****ing doubt you would.

Even when you screw up, you are still entitled to some damn privacy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #66
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10250504/

Quote:
Senator backs off threat of probe of T.O. issues
Senate Judiciary Committee doesn't have time, Specter says
Haraz N. Ghanbari
Nov. 29, 2005
PHILADELPHIA - Sen. Arlen Specter backed off a threat to have a Senate subcommittee investigate whether the NFL and the Philadelphia Eagles violated antitrust laws in their handling of Terrell Owens.

Specter, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Tuesday that he talked to lawyers in the Department of Justice about the issue.

“I think it’s more a matter for them than us because we’ve got ... a lot of matters which take precedence over this for our own time,” said Specter, R-Pa.
Specter is a joke, a political grandstander of the worst sort.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #67
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXperiment63
Because it is an IN HOUSE matter! What the hell is so hard for peopel to understand about that? Would you be pleased if you screwed up at work and your boss played it on a god damn jumbotron? No, I highly ****ing doubt you would.

Because the NFL is a media driven league. And making tapes even after having new rules made because of your actions and being told to not do it again is not a "screw up". Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #68
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Look. The one issue I have with all of this is. How reliable is a guy who admitted to stealing from his employer(the videotapes)? If you are stealing something like that, you are hoping to cash in some day. So how much stock can you put into a guy who stole from his employer in hopes of cashing in some day in the future?

Unless Belichick, or another coach, ordered the taping of that walkthrough... Then I don't see the issue. You're telling me that if you ran a big corporation and one of your employees had the initiative to get his hands on your competitors quarterly outlook and gameplan that you wouldn't take a look? The hell you wouldn't!
The guy is a whistle blower. Just because he does so against a popular sports dynasty, doesn't mean he's a horrible person.

As for viewing confidential data from other companies, I believe it's actually illegal to do so. Coaching schemes and playbooks are part of each NFL teams' on the field product. A auto manufacturer can buy and take apart a toyota and find out about it, but to steal information used to make it is illegal. Teams have been getting scouting data and coaching tendencies for a long time by breaking down game film. However, taping coaches calling the plays to go with footage of plays on the field is different.

If stealing this information is illegal for corporations making less money than the NFL, then why can the NFL get away with allowing an individual team to do it?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #69

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
The guy is a whistle blower. Just because he does so against a popular sports dynasty, doesn't mean he's a horrible person.

As for viewing confidential data from other companies, I believe it's actually illegal to do so. Coaching schemes and playbooks are part of each NFL teams' on the field product. A auto manufacturer can buy and take apart a toyota and find out about it, but to steal information used to make it is illegal. Teams have been getting scouting data and coaching tendencies for a long time by breaking down game film. However, taping coaches calling the plays to go with footage of plays on the field is different.

If stealing this information is illegal for corporations making less money than the NFL, then why can the NFL get away with allowing an individual team to do it?
I think it's illegal to view private cooporate documents too. I remember last year there was a Pepsi guy who notified Coke that someone in their company had a copy of their formula.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 14

Actually, you CAN film them making their calls. You have to do it from set positions though. You just can't do it ON the field. But it is not against the rules to film them.

Yes, I know it is illegal. That didn't answer my question though. You know damn well you'd look at it if nobody could prove it.

To JMood: Everyone knows you're a Pats *****. You go in every Pats thread to argue. I'm done feeding your drive. Media driven or not, you still deserve privacy.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #71
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

what is the screw up exactly? The patriots broke established league rules, and now their dynasty is called into question. The NFL doesn't want a gem franchise like the patriots to be tainted, so they confiscated and destroyed the tapes.

Someone leaked what they could, because the NFL is the top sport in america and many media outlets and fans of the sport would feel like they are entitled to knowing how deep the patriots filming actions go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #72

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
Actually, you CAN film them making their calls. You have to do it from set positions though. You just can't do it ON the field. But it is not against the rules to film them.

Yes, I know it is illegal. That didn't answer my question though. You know damn well you'd look at it if nobody could prove it.

To JMood: Everyone knows you're a Pats *****. You go in every Pats thread to argue. I'm done feeding your drive. Media driven or not, you still deserve privacy.
Lmao ok rather than addressing what I said you try to attack me. Belichick deliberately skirted the rules and he deserved to get punished for it and leaking part of a video is really not that big of a deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »