Home

Question for anyone who plays/has played top level football

This is a discussion on Question for anyone who plays/has played top level football within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Question for anyone who plays/has played top level football

How do you not know whether you should be on the field or not on a punt? Do they have packages for returns in their own territory & returns on the other side of the 50? I just don't see an excuse for it. You see the punter out there, you know you should be on the field or off.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Question for anyone who plays/has played top level football

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
How do you not know whether you should be on the field or not on a punt? Do they have packages for returns in their own territory & returns on the other side of the 50? I just don't see an excuse for it. You see the punter out there, you know you should be on the field or off.
They have some different packages, but in my experience, 9 times out of 10, confusion like that happens when a player get dinged up and there's confusion in replacing him on special teams.

The #2 guy is not always 100% sure if he's supposed to be out there or not.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
They have some different packages, but in my experience, 9 times out of 10, confusion like that happens when a player get dinged up and there's confusion in replacing him on special teams.

The #2 guy is not always 100% sure if he's supposed to be out there or not.
I figure there is a diff in the block & return teams. But how do you run out there & you're not suppossed to be? If you're the backup, you should just count helmets & figure you're the wrong guy.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
But how do you run out there & you're not suppossed to be? If you're the backup, you should just count helmets & figure you're the wrong guy.
Things happen at a frantic pace sometimes and there's a lot of confusion at times. It shouldn't happen, but it does, a lot. Getting the right guys in the right places for special teams in particular is much more difficult and complicated than you would imagine.

Now I don't know if that's why he was on the field or if he just brain-farted. I am just stating what the #1 reason is in my experience.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Things happen at a frantic pace sometimes and there's a lot of confusion at times. It shouldn't happen, but it does, a lot. Getting the right guys in the right places for special teams in particular is much more difficult and complicated than you would imagine.

Now I don't know if that's why he was on the field or if he just brain-farted. I am just stating what the #1 reason is in my experience.
That's what I wanted. I didn't think you'd have a specific reason. It has just always urked me seeing someone run on/off the field @ the last second on special teams. It's one of my pet peeves in football, along w/not knowing the snap count when you're on offense.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
That's what I wanted. I didn't think you'd have a specific reason. It has just always urked me seeing someone run on/off the field @ the last second on special teams. It's one of my pet peeves in football, along w/not knowing the snap count when you're on offense.
Yeah, for special teams, I know as a coach it's quite frustrating, but it can be confusing because you're working from a large pool of players for all position groups and from both sides of the ball. It's hard. But frustrating.

My biggest pet peeve is a WR who jumps before the snap. WR's should just be going on the ball, as you really can't hear the snap count outside anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »